Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Help me fix my cup of coffee :( - IT'S FIXED!! :D
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Help me fix my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 5:16pm
Subject: Re: Help me fix my cup of coffee :(

hey nathan, you may want to check this out "LA Brew Charrette: Sunday June 24th @ Cafe Demitasse"

they're having a brewing charrette over at Demitasse cafe(little tokyo) tomorrow morning.
 View Profile Link to this post
nathanscupofcoffee

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jun 23, 2012, 10:22pm

Ugh.. that sounds awesome. I would totally show up for that - but unfortunately I'll be working all morning :(

I can frequently be found wondering streets around Little Tokyo as it's just a hop skip and a jump from where I live. Buhhhh, why'd it have to be tomorrow.

Guess I'll experiment tomorrow afternoon with the rest of my whole beans. I'm probably going to buy a new grinder - but maybe I can still get a decent cup grinding finer with the Kyocera and using less. But I feel like I've been through that before with no luck :/
nathanscupofcoffee

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 10:06pm

Update:

It's been a while - but I wanted to come back in here and share my results :)

I bought a Baratza burr grinder and now my coffee is AWESOME! On top of that, I bought a glass V60 as well as a Chemex. I am drinking the best coffee I've had in a real long time. It's so good that when I'm finished, I almost want the day to be over so I can wake up and have some more. I think the Skerton (as well as the Kyrocera) hand grinders have some kind of wobble between the burrs preventing them from getting stable medium grinds. I got a lot of dust between the regularly sized pieces. I think this was causing the majority of my problems, I'm not not sure that these hand grinders are best for manual brews... espresso, or other things needing a fine grand, maybe. I don't really know what else I want to get at this point (maybe a french-press... maybe a moka pot?) but for the time being these two devices and a quality burr grinder will be enough to satisfy.
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 7:11am

A quality grind is definitely key! I've actually had good results using a Kyocera with a V60 but my Baratza definitely produces a better cup. Glad you're enjoying the coffee!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Help me fix my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.223256826401)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+