Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Confessions of a Brikka Lover
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 160 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
johnny4lsu
johnny4lsu
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Clever, Chemex, v60, kalita...
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 9:03pm
Subject: Re: Confessions of a Brikka Lover

Gonna sell my 2 cup Brikka. Let me know if anyone is interested. I'd accept paypal or gift certificate to Sweet Maria's.

I probably used it less than 10 times.

I'd let it go for $40 obo.

Buyer pays shipping.

Figured i'd post it here before bringing it to the BST forum.

johnnycarriere@gmail.com

1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
 View Profile Link to this post
brikkator

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 4:31am

Hello everyone,

i just found this old and epic thread while googeling for some Brikka articles. So i decided to sign up and share my experiences.

I bought my Brikka about 6 weeks ago just for fun. And i really love to make coffee with it trying a new setup every time in order to find the "perfect" Brikka setup. It really is such a simple device but its just so much fun trying to get the best possible coffee out of that little thing!

I use a rather fine grind which i produce with my Graef mill. I use 65 gr of water and fill about 4/5 of the filter and dont really tamp the coffee but knock the filter a few times on the table. I am currently using tre forze coffee with the Brikka and gives me a pretty thick and good "crema".

Of course this is NOT espresso but the result is very tasty and the Brikka offers great reproducibility!
m00m00

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 7:15pm

Just bought a 4 cup Brikka, been doing some experiment with it. Using the same grind as for moka pot, coffee turn out alright (just like the pic on the box :o), I found the coffee tasted a bit more 'uniformed' than from moka pot.

Unlike the moka pot where it takes a period of time for the coffee to come out, the brikka send all coffee out in a fairly short period of time, my assumption is that the finishing coffee temperature should* be very close to brew temperature. As such, I put a temperature probe in the coffee as soon as it busted out. What I found is:
- The coffee is around 78'C if I put warm (50'C) water in the boiler.
- The coffee is around 70'C if I put room temperature (18'C) water in the boiler.
- It took about 2 minutes to complete the brew if hot water in the boiler,
- It took about 3 minutes to complete the brew if room tempearture water is in boiler.

Wife commented if the cold water is used, the coffee doesn't taste burnt. If hot water (80'C+) is used the coffee taste a little burnt.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 7:36pm

m00m00 Said:

Just bought a 4 cup Brikka, been doing some experiment with it. Using the same grind as for moka pot, coffee turn out alright (just like the pic on the box :o), I found the coffee tasted a bit more 'uniformed' than from moka pot.

Unlike the moka pot where it takes a period of time for the coffee to come out, the brikka send all coffee out in a fairly short period of time, my assumption is that the finishing coffee temperature should* be very close to brew temperature. As such, I put a temperature probe in the coffee as soon as it busted out. What I found is:
- The coffee is around 70'C if I put room temperature (18'C) water in the boiler.
- It took about 3 minutes to complete the brew if room tempearture water is in boiler.

Wife commented if the cold water is used, the coffee doesn't taste burnt. If hot water (80'C+) is used the coffee taste a little burnt.

Posted August 7, 2013 link

It is common for hot water off tap to taste a bit off as compared to cold water off tap.  Hot water is not used anywhere near as much as cold water and due to such it sits in your pipes and water heater for extended periods of time.  Maybe that is the taste your wife has noticed.  If you have city water and use a filter maybe the issue is not as accentuated; if you have well water it certainly will be.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
m00m00

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 7:43pm

Sorry didn't make it clear in the previous post. I boil the tap water using a kettle, not straight off the hot water pipe. I also have a small filter to filter the water before use.
Enkerli
Enkerli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 8:52pm

Personally, I only use filtered water for all tea or coffee. But, of course, it all depends on your water source. I'd probably use tap water in most parts of Switzerland, for instance.
Although, there might be something to be said about filtering out some components to avoid deposits. Descaling isn't that difficult, but it's annoying. No idea if it has a significant impact on Brikka and Moka.

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
kbuzbee
kbuzbee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: I don't drip
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 2:38am

Wow! It comes back to life yet one more time ;)

I'm with Alexander here. I use filtered for all methods, including Brikka.

Ken
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 10:44am

m00m00 Said:

Posted August 7, 2013 link

That's interesting. I'm looking forward to (eventually) getting a Brikka, both to sample the coffee and also because I want to poke probes into it. But I haven't been able to decide on which size Brikka I want.

I wonder if your assumption is valid; 70-78C is lower than the brew temperature I would have expected.
Did you measure the coffee temperature when you used 80C+ water?
m00m00

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 4:58pm

jpender Said:

Did you measure the coffee temperature when you used 80C+ water?

Posted August 8, 2013 link

Think I forgot that one, will measure it again next time :) I personally didn't taste any burnt, but it was my wife's 1st reaction. so... maybe the beans :p

The way I see it though, if I want the coffee to brew in higher temperature, I should use warm/boil water in the boiler. If I want the coffee to brew in a lower temperature, I should use cold water. The brew temperature might be lower than what is required for espresso, but it also brew longer than espresso machines. The way I understand it, the longer it take to brew, the higher chance to bring out the bitterness of the coffee (right????), so the lower temperature is not necessary a bad thing (I mean the time it takes to brew is gonna 'compensate' the lower brew temp. right???)
m00m00

Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 1:45am

Alright, tried again. I 1st dipped the probe into boiling water in the kettle, the reading was 97.6'C (so the probe is slightly off). Then pour water to top part of the brikka to measure, once done, pour into the boiler. Measured again, only 74.5'C :o..

Put everything together, put it on the red hot stove. Once coffee come out, dip the probe into coffee, reading was 76'C. No taste of burnt. (different bean used this time)
showing page 160 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319821119308)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+