Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bellman CX25 Top: loose and leaking?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bellman CX25...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
qmacro
qmacro
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bellman CX25, Moka Pots
Posted Wed Jul 4, 2012, 11:38am
Subject: Bellman CX25 Top: loose and leaking?

Hello there

I've just taken delivery of a new (and my first) Bellman CX25 and have tried it out. The top part (the one you screw down onto the boiler) seems to me (a novice) very loose, in that the black bakelite part is loose and almost detatched from the stainless steel lid part.

When I put the unit on the heat, the water leaks out quite a lot from the top and pours down the outside of the main unit, and also steam and water spurt out of the top of the lid (near the tightening knob). I have checked the gasket/seals and tightened the knob as tight as possible.

I'm thinking - this can't be right, surely?

Any comments would be gratefully received - thank you!

DJ Adams
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TrabucoDom

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CXE-25 , moka pots
Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: aeropress / french presses
Posted Wed Jul 4, 2012, 5:48pm
Subject: Re: Bellman CX25 Top: loose and leaking?

DJ,
I have the electric version, the CXE-25...but the top part is the same between the two models....

If you look at the underside of the top part, and remove the gasket and filter plate you will see that the coffee never comes in contact with the bakelite part....(I remove it by pushing the eraser side of a pencil through the top hole and onto the filter until it pops out) there is a small metal tube that connects the spigot to the large filtered chamber.

So it sounds like you may have 2 problems..one is that the metal portion isn't secured right to the bakelite...it should be held by 2 screws...maybe the screws need tightened or the bakelite is broken where the screws go in. (see pic attachment)

The 2nd problem is your water leak...it might be leaking at the tube connection ...there is a nut you might be able to tighten that you should see on the inside of the chamber where the tube enters....possibly it is not sealing there....

There is also supposed to be a thick o-ring in the knob to seal it when you tighten...it can flatten so you can remove the o-ring and turn it upside-down and maybe it will seal better...it is weird that you would have these problems with a new unit unless it has been stored for many years.

Fantes sells the o-ring: http://fantes.com/bellman-parts.html
(I have never ordered from them but it seems they are one of the very few places stocking Bellman parts)

Can you post back if you find what the problem is and what fixes it, or if you need more suggestions?

TrabucoDom: 16367bellman.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
qmacro
qmacro
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bellman CX25, Moka Pots
Posted Wed Jul 4, 2012, 11:34pm

Hey there

Thanks very much for posting such a comprehensive reply, and so quickly!

I took the seal off the top part and looked inside. It was exactly the 2nd problem as you describe below: the nut holding the tube connection was very loose, which must have been both the cause of the general top looseness and the major leakage.

I tightened the bolt, and retried. No leaks at all, and the act of tightening the bolt also solved the looseness problem - now the bakelite and stainless steel parts of the top are as one.

Looking forward to my first CX25 coffee this morning now!

Kind regards from Manchester
dj
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TrabucoDom

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CXE-25 , moka pots
Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: aeropress / french presses
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 12:11am

DJ,

I am glad it was something very simple. Good luck with your new machine!
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bellman CX25...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235929012299)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+