Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cuban coffee
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuban coffee  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 6:55am
Subject: Cuban coffee

Since I started collecting different brewing devices, my interests have expanded to how other countries brew coffee. I ran across several Youtube videos about making Cuban coffee...but they were as varied as "how to make soup". Some use processed sugar, some raw. Some say "add sugar to carafe before brewing"...others mix sugar into the grounds, or add it on top of the portafilter, or in the cup. This one gal (who supposedly had been doing this for years) filled the boiler only half-way. Searching "authentic Cuban coffee" didn't help. Cab someone clue me in as to how to prepare *real* Cuban coffee?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 7:27am
Subject: Re: Cuban coffee

Living in South FL think most anybody is raised around it, especially the Miami area lol. Basically the real way is with a Moka Pot and sugar in a cup, when the 1st little drips start coming out the Moka you put that into the sugar to mix it into kind of a sludge mix. Then when the coffee is finished you just mix and that's it. Down here it's generally served as a cup with a couple thimble sized shot glasses that are very small.... aka liquid crack lol. Our Cuban friends always make it like this too at their homes.

Down here 99% of the time it's made with Pilon or Bustelo, as both have a raw smack you in the face punch to the taste. Love a good Cuban

here's a good vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VRXrcC7g3M
 View Profile Link to this post
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 7:33am

Thanks...needless to say, my first attempt was a total flop. Practice makes perfect, I hope!

Edit: I may be getting somewhere now...I switched from raw (turned out to be turbinado, if it matters) sugar to white, 1 teaspoon per cup (6-cup moka pot), and didn't put near as much of the good stuff (that first oozing blackness). When it started turning pasty & looking like peanut butter, I knew *that* part was on the right track. (I was pretty much on track with your vid, too...thanks! No little metal pitcher, though.) I'll check around this weekend to see if I can find some of that coffee you mentioned.

TheBigDripper: shot.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CMIN

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 8:19am

]

TheBigDripper Said:

Thanks...needless to say, my first attempt was a total flop. Practice makes perfect, I hope!

Edit: I may be getting somewhere now...I switched from raw (turned out to be turbinado, if it matters) sugar to white, 1 teaspoon per cup (6-cup moka pot), and didn't put near as much of the good stuff (that first oozing blackness). When it started turning pasty & looking like peanut butter, I knew *that* part was on the right track. (I was pretty much on track with your vid, too...thanks! No little metal pitcher, though.) I'll check around this weekend to see if I can find some of that coffee you mentioned.

Posted July 5, 2012 link

When it's made good, you'll know it, take a trip to Miami and see lol. Even my gf's work, she's a psychologist and one of their employee's makes a Cuban for everyone in the afternoon with a Moka. You should be able to find Pilon or Bustelo in any grocery store, it's fairly cheap too, think they come in ground can's, but generally I've bought them and seen others use them in the ground "brick" form. Both taste great as Cuban so can't go wrong either way.

I love flying out of Miami International b/c there's little Cuban Coffee stands throughout the airport lol

She brought home some the other day from a gas station, you can see the little thimble cups
Click Here (i146.photobucket.com)
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 8:27am

CMIN Said:

I love flying out of Miami International b/c there's little Cuban Coffee stands throughout the airport lol...

Posted July 5, 2012 link

Yes! Cafe Versailles FTW. I go out of my way at MIA to hit them up.
CMIN

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 8:34am

jbviau Said:

Yes! Cafe Versailles FTW. I go out of my way at MIA to hit them up.

Posted July 5, 2012 link

Nothing better than that at the crack of dawn, if that doesn't wake your ass up nothing will lol

I've only ever done it with Moka and Bustelo or Pilon. Never tried it in the Espresso machines, not sure how it would end up? I wanted to try them in whole bean form but can't find any. Found some Bustelo Supreme whole bean on Amazon.
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 8:47am

I'm about a thousand miles from Miami, so I'll have to try & find somewhere around Austin that can make it. I don't think my Zassenhaus can grind fine enough, either. I read you can substitute Columbian (or any dark roast) for real Cuban. I may have to go that route & grind it up at the store.
oktyone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 1:27pm

So-Called Cuban Coffee is just a way of faking crema on a moka-pot "espresso" by adding a sweetener and stirring it to produce the froth.

The easiest way i've found of doing this is by making a properly brewed moka pot cup of coffee, adding whatever kind of sugar you'd like and stir it using one of those battery powered milk frothers on it, the crema produced is quite satisfactory, more so than the other method that requires pouring the first drops of brewed moka-pot coffee on a cup with lots of sugar in it and stirring it with a spoon. By the way, while this is more widely known as "Cuban" coffee, i've seen this very same method used in the mother of espresso, Italy, my guess is it originated there.

On the topic of fake cremas, Bialetti sells a verion of their moka-pot called "Moka-Crem" which is basically a standard aluminum moka-pot with a french press piston built into the lid, with the purpose of frothing the coffee enough to produce a sort of light-brownish somewhat thick crema, works pretty good and there's no sweetener involved, just brewed coffee, i've done this by transferring a brewed moka-pot coffee to a french press and plunge it quickly a couple of times and works just as well.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuban coffee  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30842089653)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+