Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Baratza Encore v. OE Lido
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Baratza Encore...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JosephM

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: n/a
Grinder: Kyocera CM-45
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Clever Dripper
Roaster: n/a
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 6:04pm
Subject: Baratza Encore v. OE Lido

Hey guys! I've been using a Clever Coffee Dripper for a while now, which is pretty forgiving in my opinion of an inconsistent grind. I'd like to move on to classic pour-overs using a V60, which I recently purchased along with a Bonavita Kettle. I actually haven't used them yet, because the impression I've gotten from what I've read is that an inconsistent grind will ruin a pour-over.

Aside from a cheap blade grinder, I have a Kyocera CM-45, but it seems a bit rough for less-fine grinding, and I'd furthermore like to possibly get a grinder to dedicate to pour over. I think I've narrowed my options down to the Baratza Encore and Orphan Espresso's Lido. So my question is, which of those would be better-suited to a pour-over grind? I haven't been able to find much information on the Encore, but one or two reviewers I saw indicated that there were some (possibly minor?) consistency issues with it. At the same time, it seems that this might be an issue that was resolved shortly after release. The Lido, on the other hand, has seemed to get nothing but great reviews, but I'd like to hear your thoughts about this specific comparison.

I'm also keeping in mind considerations like the price difference (the Encore is a bit cheaper) and the Encore's higher convenience as an electric grinder, but my main concern here is the consistency issue. What are your thoughts/recommendations? (Suggestions besides the Encore or Lido are also welcome if there's something I'm overlooking.) Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 6:21pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Encore v. OE Lido

between the two, as long as you dont mind some manual cranking and am looking for the best results, i'd go with the LIDO.  I dont have any personal experience with it but from what i see, it's quite an impressive piece of hardware.

i have a skerton, virtuoso and now an encore.    personally, i find the grinds out of the skerton and virtuoso fairly similar and the encore a bit behind.  

not to say that there was anything wrong with my virtuoso, but i recently purchased the preciso burr upgrade for it and hopefully i'll have even better results.
VKirby

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 10:39pm

You might want to consider the 586 too, since the lido's price actually splits the diffrence exactly between the encore & virtuoso with preciso burrs.  I've become increasingly impressed with the performance of the latter, but am still curious about the lido too.  If you don't need the convenience of an electric, I would think that you're getting higher quality burrs for your money in the Lido.  Probably build quality as well.  There's a surprising amount of plastic on these baratzas.

Can't speak to the vario, but I think that would be the ultimate course grinder with their optional metal brewing burrs.  Significantly more expensive than all of the above though.

edit-actually it looks like prices have changed somewhat since I last looked at them.
JosephM

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 8:09pm

Thanks for the helpful responses! :) Yeah, the LIDO price ($165) is about as high as I want to go at this point. It sounds like the LIDO will be the better option in this case. I don't mind waking up a couple minutes earlier to do a manual grind (and get some nice, quick wake-up exercise), so convenience isn't a huge issue for me. I guess one other question I have, however, is this: which is more versatile? I know I talked about having a grinder to dedicate to pour over grinding, but should I change my mind about that, is the LIDO's spectrum as broad as the Encore's? I've seen a couple comments about how the LIDO is designed primarily for grind settings coarser than espresso, but that it is capable of an espresso grind. I've also seen some comments indicating that the Encore's espresso setting is passable, but not the greatest. So are the two about the same, in terms of grind spectrum? (Answers to the general comparison question are, of course, still quite welcome.) Thanks again!
SimonPatrice

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Caravel
Grinder: Peugeot, Armin Trosser, OE...
Drip: Melitta, press pot, eva...
Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 8:34pm

Honestly, with the Lido, you'll just have to wake up about 20 seconds earlier.  And for myself, I'd rather feel the coffee being ground vs. electric.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012, 3:01pm

SimonPatrice Said:

Honestly, with the Lido, you'll just have to wake up about 20 seconds earlier.  And for myself, I'd rather feel the coffee being ground vs. electric.

Posted July 10, 2012 link

20 seconds earlier! No way! Just grind in the shower.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 9:49am

sweaner Said:

20 seconds earlier! No way! Just grind in the shower.

Posted July 11, 2012 link

Which also pre-wets the grounds, thus shaving more time off brewing!
JosephM

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 8:18pm

Hmmm...maybe I should just start taking 195-205 degree showers and go ahead and brew in there too, yeah? Haha, thanks for the input, everyone. If no one posts with a strong recommendation of the Encore over the LIDO beforehand, I'll probably be putting in an order for the LIDO tomorrow.
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 8:27pm

I think Encore vs. LIDO comes down to a few big points.

1. Electric vs. Manual
    -Pressing a button versus cranking. With the LIDO, it takes a very short time to grind enough for a single cup. I typically grind while the water is cooling to the correct temp. I own a Virtuoso and LIDO. I use the Virtuoso at home and the LIDO handles everything else. The grind quality of the LIDO is great and it will do any grind you need for pour overs or press. It's not built for espresso, but it has been proven to be capable. It really shines with fine drip to coarse press pot grinds.

2. Longevity
    -As with any electric machine, there is a chance that things can ware or break. The LIDO is built like a lethal weapon. It can take some abuse! It can also be 100% disassembled and tweaked. It's a very simple build even for folks like me that are not comfortable tinkering with mechanics.

3. Ease of Use
    -The Encore definitely wins in the ease of use column, because the grind settings are numbers. Twist the hopper, grind, and go. The LIDO's step less grind adjustment takes some getting used to but becomes easy as you get to know it.

I think that both grinders have their pros and cons, but either will give you good results. Both companies will support they grinders and make sure you are satisfied.

-Sam
JosephM

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 5:13pm

Thanks for the detailed response, Sam! What you said about the construction and disassemble-ability of the LIDO was very helpful.

I put in an order for the LIDO this morning and was very impressed with Orphan's response VERY early in the A.M. Good service!

Thanks for the input, all!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Baratza Encore...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283781051636)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+