Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
DIY Aeropress Cold Drip Brewer for Under $30 - How To
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > DIY Aeropress...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
primacoffee
primacoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 9:34am
Subject: DIY Aeropress Cold Drip Brewer for Under $30 - How To

We recently discovered this delightful idea on a coffeesnobs.au post and tweaked it to our parameters.  We've been experimenting for a couple of days now and so far have had great results!  

1. Empty bottle and cut off bottom.
  2. Remove bottle’s cap and puncture with needle. Replace cap. Test flow by filling with water and watching rate, aiming for about 40 drops per minute.
  3. Wet filter and assemble Aeropress, filling with 45 g of medium-fine ground coffee.
  4. Moisten grounds and stir gently, subtracting water used from total water dose. Level coffee bed with finger.
  5. Trim second filter to fit inside of Aeropress and place atop coffee bed, pressing softly to level.
  6. Place Aeropress on jar and mount bottle on top.
  7. Fill bottle with 300 g water and 200 g ice.

Thought you would enjoy it.  We're also experimenting with different filter types (Able Disk-Fine, etc).  Let us know if you've had success with something similar!

primacoffee: aeropress-cold-brew-tower.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Prima Coffee Equipment
http://prima-coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 10:00am
Subject: .

View Profile Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 10:13am
Subject: Re: DIY Aeropress Cold Drip Brewer for Under $30 - How To

Netphilosopher Said:

I find a significant amount of grounds absorption and sometimes some less-than-expected (but still stronger than hot brewed).

Posted July 12, 2012 link

It would be extremely easy to use the plunger to press out most of the absorbed water once it's finished dripping. But would that be a good thing?
Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 11:00am

yamhill

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia PIDed, Nuova...
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: yama
Drip: hario and chemex
Roaster: hot air & drum in the works
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 1:54pm

Thanks for sharing a new take on cold extraction.

I have a bunch of questions.  I've used Toddy some.  How does the strength and taste of the extraction with this method compare to Toddy?  If I recall correctly the Toddy-recommended ratio of grounds to water is roughly 50g / cup of water for 12 to 24 hours.  At 45g / 2+ cups water (assuming that the ice all melts), the coffee to water ratio, time, temperature are all different.  45g is three double shots in my Silvia.  Is 1/3 of this cold brewer output a good stand-in for a double shot?

Also, I would love to hear more details on the "why" behind some of your guidelines.  For example, here are a few more geeky questions?
Is the ice important to slow the flow of water or temperature or both?
What temperature should the "pre-infusion" water be in the moisten and stir step?
What effects do you get with coarser of finer grinds?
Does the top filter do anything beyond slowing and dispersing the water drops?

John
oktyone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 4:23pm

I've tried this before, works good except you can't control the dripping speed (extraction), sometimes it stops dripping, sometimes it drips too fast, i've used an ABLE disk  (ver.2) and a regular aeropress paper filter on top of the coffee column to help distribute the water evenly.

Inspired by another experiment on a HB forum post i went to a local pet/aquarium store and got some aquarium tubing and dripping spigot and installed it to the plastic bottle cap, works wonderfully and the dripping speed is totally controllable, it tends to go slower as time goes by, but it can be easily adjusted by opening the valve a bit more every once in a while. Still unsure about the taste though, but i love the theatrics aspect of these brewing method.
primacoffee
primacoffee

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 6:05am

yamhill Said:

I have a bunch of questions.  I've used Toddy some.  How does the strength and taste of the extraction with this method compare to Toddy?  If I recall correctly the Toddy-recommended ratio of grounds to water is roughly 50g / cup of water for 12 to 24 hours.  At 45g / 2+ cups water (assuming that the ice all melts), the coffee to water ratio, time, temperature are all different.  45g is three double shots in my Silvia.  Is 1/3 of this cold brewer output a good stand-in for a double shot?

Also, I would love to hear more details on the "why" behind some of your guidelines.  For example, here are a few more geeky questions?
Is the ice important to slow the flow of water or temperature or both?
What temperature should the "pre-infusion" water be in the moisten and stir step?
What effects do you get with coarser of finer grinds?
Does the top filter do anything beyond slowing and dispersing the water drops?

Posted July 12, 2012 link

Good questions, John. Let's see...

1) Toddy is considered a "concentrate", so the consumer typically dilutes it with either water or milk before consuming. Cold brew methods like this one do not yield a concentrate, but a ready-to-drink brew. Sure, you can add water or milk — no harm done — but that's not the point.

2) It's difficult to compare the output of this device to espresso, as they're very different things. For one, this method doesn't implement any pressure. Also, the strength is different. For the same dose of coffee (45 g), espresso uses much less water than the cold brew tower. Even the extended brew time (compare espresso's <30 seconds to cold brew's 2-4 hours) doesn't make up for this.

3) The ice is included to keep the water cool throughout the entire process. The goal is to have ice floating in the water the entire time, up until the end, at which point it should be melted. We've been able to achieve this by devoting 25-30% of the total water volume to solid water (commonly known as ice) and the remaining 70-75% to liquid water (commonly known as water).

4) We've used cool water, subtracted from our solid water + liquid water total, for pre-infusion but haven't yet measured the temperature. Using cool water is common, though folks like Lorenzo Perkins recommend high temperatures. Look towards the end of his article.

5) As always, coffee that is more finely ground is more readily extracted. It extracts faster, but also delays the brew time, so if you go too fine you'll probably overextract. Coffee that is more coarsely ground is less readily extracted. It extracts slower, but also quickens the brew time, so if you go too coarse you'll probably underextract. For this method, we've had success with a medium-fine grind: 14-15 on Baratza's Encore.

6) The top filter simply disperses the water, nothing more.

Have fun!

Prima Coffee Equipment
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 11:42am

primacoffee
primacoffee

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 1:13pm

You're right in thinking that cold brewing forgives — or even favors! — a finer grind. As you said, it's difficult to achieve a bitter brew. We did notice, however, that there was a point at which the grind was so fine that

1] the water pooled at the top (the drip rate surpassed the drain rate, and this problem was made worse by the paper filter resting atop the grounds) and
2] the brew was unpleasantly strong and syrupy. Even at such a strength, though, it wasn't bitter. Not in the least.

And that is what is at risk when you go finer. But for some that's right up their alley.

Regrettably, we didn't record the actual yield. Your estimation is probably pretty close though!

A light tamp does sound intriguing... we'll have to give that a try! Thanks for the tip.

Prima Coffee Equipment
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 1:37pm

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > DIY Aeropress...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310850858688)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+