Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Ditting KF804 burr replacement, going from pressed to machined burrs - wow!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Ditting KF804...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Jun 20, 2009, 3:25am
Subject: Ditting KF804 burr replacement, going from pressed to machined burrs - wow!

Yesterday I finally got the new (as of this year) Ditting replacement burrs for the 804 series.

For those who don't know, the Dittings have had pressed / milled burrs for eons. They do a press form on the burr sets, and then do some machining on the outer teeth to finish them off. I guess acceptable in the past, but these days, we kinda demand more of a grinder than pressed burrs.

Ditting long resisted putting machined (milled) burrs on their grinders - I remember talking to a Ditting rep back in 2004 or 2005 at the SCAA about the burrs and he was kinda "meh, we don't see the need". But I guess times have changed and enough voices were heard because Ditting and Mahlkonig (they merged a little while ago) decided to develop and cut new burrs for the 804 series.

I finally got mine yesterday and already, I notice a massive difference in two areas - production of fines (or lack thereof) and overall taste. Just before I swapped out my pressed burrs on my 804, I did two tightly measured press pot brews (using a weight/time/temperature monitoring scale to make it as precise as I could). Used two very fresh (perfectly aged off roast) coffees. Took notes, scored the cups.

I replaced the burrs and ran about 3lbs of "junk" coffee through the grinder to season it. (coffee that's a bit too old - about 6 bags worth, most with 1/2 lb or less).

Then I set up the two coffees I did with the pressed burrs, and brewed them as close to the old samples as possible - same gram weight of water, same steep times, same dose, same grind setting on the Ditting.

Both coffees were noticeably improved in the cup - things that were better:
- cleaner samples of both, with a lot more clarity in the flavours
- barely perceptible flavours in the pressed burr brews were more noticeable in the milled burr brew
- less overall bitters in the cup

I scored coffee a 3 points higher, and coffee b 1.5 points higher, respectively over their pressed burr samples.

The only negatory is there's some definite "new grinder" artifacts in the cup - kinda that new machine taint, which actually reduced the scores probably by 3% or so - yet they still scored higher than the pressed burr samples.

To really give this test a fair shake, one would need two Ditting KF804s, one with the milled burrs, one with the pressed burrs, and do a double blind taste test to see which one wins out. Since I can't afford a second Ditting, this'll have to do :)

The new burrs are HIGHLY recommended, especially if you use a Ditting as your cupping grinder.

I've always been satisfied with my Ditting grinder (and very grateful to the seller, Morala Trading out of Ottawa for their sales and service of this grinder - they've been awesome), but now it seems like it's become a potential super grinder. I had a talk with Rob from Elysian Coffee, the Ditting reps for w. Canada, and he believes these new burrs put the 804 on par with the Guat Lab grinder from Mahlkonig, which costs $700 more.

PS - I've posted some photos of the ditting burrs (and how much ground coffee's left in the 804) on my flickr.

Mark

MarkPrince: dittingburrs.jpg
(Click for larger image)

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Waynen

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Brikka, Moka Pot
Grinder: Ditting KF804,Nemox Lux
Vac Pot: Silex ,Fr Press,
Drip: Cowboy coffee Thru Finum
Roaster: Wearever pumper
Posted Sat Jun 20, 2009, 8:07am
Subject: Re: Ditting KF804 burr replacement, going from pressed to machined burrs - wow!

That's great news Mark.  I bought one last August that was a year old, and was less than pleased with the quality of the grind, as I Perceived it.  I sent the burrs to a friend in Burnaby along with grind samples and he didn't think it was up to snuff, as well.  I also sent them to Ditting USA to be replaced with a sharpened set.  They sent them back, saying they were as good as new.

I guess they'll sell me a new replacement set, and hopefully I'll be satisfied, finally.

Other than that, I love everything about the grinder!

Thanks for the heads up.

Incidentally, I bought mine based on your posts, and comments, when you bought yours.

Wayne
 View Profile Link to this post
TomChips

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: K30 Vario/Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Tecnivorm Mochamaster-Hario
Roaster: Behmoor 1600+ Freshroast
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:27am
Subject: Re: Ditting KF804 burr replacement, going from pressed to machined burrs - wow!

Bumping a very old, but very valuable thread. I just scored a 804 that looks and functions like it's new or hardly been used. The grinds are extremely uniform, with almost no fines visible at all. But I'm now trying to possibly source a good deal on burrs, since i know they're extremely expensive. I've tried some amazing coffees on the ditting, compared to my brand new G1 that isn't even broken in yet, and the G1 blows it out of the water flavor wise. The ditting is producing a notably more bitter less layered and nuanced brew.

I'm surprised by this though. The burrs aren't sharp, but they don't look extremely dull, and like I said, the grind is beautifully even. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Either sourcing for new burrs or any other advice.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Ditting KF804...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.210564851761)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+