Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 20 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Tkfowler

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 7:43pm
Subject: Re: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look

I just had this same problem myself with the imploding thermal carafe. Have had the machine about three weeks. Was rinsing it out before brewing and decided to wipe off a some of the oil residue with a plastic handled dish scrubber... just lightly wiping it out. Then there is a loud bang and all the glass shatters. I couldn't believe it. The glass lining is fairly thin. I think it's a design flaw.
 View Profile Link to this post
etexlady

Grinder: Capresso Infinity;  Bunn
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Melitta...
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 8:28pm

I agree about the design flaw comment.  There are quite a few reviews on Amazon regarding imploding carafes.  Did you try for a warranty replacement?  Seems you would have better luck than I since you had only been using yours for three weeks.
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 9:55am

Weird, I figured if there was a manufacturing defect it'd emerge sooner.  Guess i'd go with the glass pot version anyway, but the flimsy plastic & loose handle are more concerning, because the glass either breaks or it doesn't, but build quality is what it is.
SarasotaLady

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:26pm

Had thermal carafe implode the first time I put a sponge inside to clean  container. It was  replaced under warranty-- I have to remember not to put anything in the carafe to clean except swirling water .

I'm still pleased with the first few cups of coffee I get from the brewer-- hot and with flavor.  I had to fiddle with it a bit to find what works for me: Baratza Maestro II grinder -- in coarse grind range .  10-11 grams of coffee per 6 oz.

Coffee does seem to cool down quickly in the carafe and it's not high tech or sturdy--lots of room for criticizing,  But for me it's the taste of the coffee that counts, so I'm OK with it./  Gotta keep things in perspective.  

SarasotaLady
missy_
missy_
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 5:57pm

I don't think it's a design flaw. I think it is a mix-up in the Bonavita instructions, as there are two sets of instructions that come with the carafe.

I have followed the ones on the pink sheet that state: "After each use clean your Melitta insulation jug with warm water; do not use neither washing up liquids nor wire bottle brushes."

I take that to mean no dishwashing liquid nor brushes of any type inside the carafe and only use swirling water inside the carafe and have not had any problems. I don't think sticking plastic brushes inside a glass carafe is a good idea, given the nature of glass carafes.

Plus, as one is washing them up, if one adds dishwashing liquid, it is more likely one will bang it against the side of one's sink, as that takes more time and effort to remove the soap suds. In banging it against the side of the sink, one is more likely to then damage the carafe. Little microfractures in the glass can lead to it shattering.

I preheat mine with water every morning and have found the coffee stays very hot that way.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 2:53am

If it is of any help, the instructions that come with the original Melitta machine say:-

"...Do not clean the therm jug in a dishwasher or immerse   it completely in water

Do not use wire brushes or bottle brushes.

In case of tenacious dirt (lime, coffee residues) clean inner therm jug with  weakened vinegar or   lemon.

Never stir contents with a metal spoon, do not pour in ice-cubes or carbonated drinks to avoid damages of glass insert."

The English translation from the German is a little odd in places, but the message is clear - like any glass thermos, the glass insert is very thin and easily damaged.

I don't think the design is that brilliant, especially the way the bottom part fits the outer stainless steel cladding.  I think this unscrews to let you put a replacement liner in it although I've never done so. I wonder if it is possible that without a good but not over tight fit, it might put too much stress on the liner ?
missy_
missy_
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 3:23am

__________ Said:

The English translation from the German is a little odd in places, but the message is clear - like any glass thermos, the glass insert is very thin and easily damaged.

Posted January 15, 2013 link

With proper care, it does not have to be damaged.

I would rather have a glass thermos than a metal- or plastic-lined one, and will put in the simple care (rinse with water) in order to have one.

__________ Said:

I don't think the design is that brilliant, especially the way the bottom part fits the outer stainless steel cladding.

I like the design myself. Do you mean you want more padding against the bottom of the carafe?

__________ Said:

I think this unscrews to let you put a replacement liner in it although I've never done so. I wonder if it is possible that without a good but not over tight fit, it might put too much stress on the liner ?

There are no instructions for doing so included by Bonavita, nor does Bonavita sell these replacement liners. Therefore I have to conclude it would void the warranty.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 8:13am

missy_ Said:

With proper care, it does not have to be damaged.

I would rather have a glass thermos than a metal- or plastic-lined one, and will put in the simple care (rinse with water) in order to have one.

Agreed. I also prefer glass liners to S/S, but inevitably, they are not so robust.

missy_ Said:

I like the design myself. Do you mean you want more padding against the bottom of the carafe?

The design looks good from a cosmetic point of view, and I haven't ever taken mine apart, but the black plastic base doesn't fit into the stainless steel shell as well as I think it should, at least on mine. There must be a part inside which holds the inner vacuum pot in place against the seal at the top.  I'm simply speculating that if too much pressure is being applied, it would cause stress on the glass.  

I'll take it apart one day, but it is stored away  as I generally use the Technivorm from choice these days.  It doesn't make coffee any better than the Melitta, but it is much easier to clean, as everything including the water sprinkler pipe goes in the dishwasher (Glass jug, not thermal)

missy_ Said:

There are no instructions for doing so included by Bonavita, nor does Bonavita sell these replacement liners. Therefore I have to conclude it would void the warranty.

I don't know about "voiding warranty", however, if they don't sell replacement inners, there wouldn't be any point in giving instructions. I don't think  Melitta sell spare inners only the complete "Ersatzkanne", although it may be a standard shape/size also used in other flasks as I am sure Melitta won't manufacture their own.
Tkfowler

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 3:52am

I did make a claim with Bonavita and they are going to replace my thermal carafe for free. I won't be trying to clean this one with anything more than water... I think the instructions could emphasize more directly just how fragile the glass lining is. Their manual says not to use "wire-brushes or bottle-brushes" but it should really say do not use "anything" to clean the carafe.

My point is just to put this out as one thing that happened with this version of this coffee maker and to promote some awareness of how fragile their glass lined carafe can be. At the end of the day I do still like this coffee maker.
steelgtr

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Cuisinart Ceramic Burr
Drip: Mr. Coffee, Bunn, Krups
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 4:47pm

Subscribing
showing page 20 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.360302209854)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+