Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best Brewing Method For Iced Coffee
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best Brewing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
Foodieinfl
Foodieinfl
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 3:10pm
Subject: Best Brewing Method For Iced Coffee

Hi all!  Newbie and first post.  Looking for the best way to make iced coffee and knew I could find great advice here.  I have tried the cold brewed method and am just not crazy with the result.  It is weaker than I like, and just has an off taste to me.  Can't really describe it...it just sort of nauseates me to be honest.  I have tried several different coffee blends, as well as regular and decaf, with the same end result.  I am thinking that I need to do a traditional hot brew in order to achieve the strength I like, and also hope that the off taste I mentioned will be resolved.  The problem is I do not own a coffee maker, just an aeropress.  I like to make a gallon at a time, so the aeropress isn't an option.  Is there a way to make coffee on the stove?  Is it any good?  If so, how do I go about doing this?  I am working with your basic crappy, electric apartment stove if that makes a difference.  TY in advance!
Holly
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 4:01pm
Subject: Re: Best Brewing Method For Iced Coffee

Which "cold brewed" method did you use? And which beans (fresh roasted, store bought etc?). Moka's are used on stove top but that would be a pain in the ass trying to make a gallon, have to do it over and over. What are making/using a gallon for?
Foodieinfl
Foodieinfl

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 4:12pm

Store bought beans, ground on medium, dumped into a gallon pitcher, then topped off with filtered water.  Left to steep on counter for about 24 hours, then poured through cheesecloth.  I explored the Moka pot method as well, but as you mentioned it would be a pain.  I like to make a gallon at a time to have on hand during the week.  Just easier than making an individual serving each time.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 6:33am

CMIN

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 7:04am

Foodieinfl Said:

Store bought beans, ground on medium, dumped into a gallon pitcher, then topped off with filtered water.  Left to steep on counter for about 24 hours, then poured through cheesecloth.  I explored the Moka pot method as well, but as you mentioned it would be a pain.  I like to make a gallon at a time to have on hand during the week.  Just easier than making an individual serving each time.

Posted July 25, 2012 link

If their store bought then that's one problem right there, beans are already stale and won't taste good whether hot or cold brewed. I tried Starbucks once as cold brew when I forgot to get some fresh stuff and it was pretty gross, tasted like burnt cigs/ashes.

Cold coffee doesn't last long either, I wouldn't go a week drinking the batch, maybe a day or two at the most.
Foodieinfl
Foodieinfl

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 8:17am

Netphilosopher - Yes, I drink *a lot* of coffee.  (blush...)  Thank you for the great info.  Will try this tonight.  I tried making cowboy coffee last night, which I mixed with ice, half and half and raw sugar this morning, and it was close to un-drinkable.  Sour, bitter, weak.  I should have been doubtful of any method asking you to add coffee to boiling water.  
CMIN - I agree.  In a perfect world, I'd happily frolick to my local roaster each morning for the freshest beans possible, scratch that -- in a perfect world, I'd actually stop into Panera each morning for iced coffee.  I don't know what their brewing secret is, but it's heavenly.  Unfortunately, my morning usually consists of running Tasmanian-devil style through my apartment in an attempt to make it to work on time.  I also agree that I probably should not make a gallon at a time.
Java_Jiver
Java_Jiver

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Technivorm 741
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 8:21am

Foodieinfl Said:

Posted July 25, 2012 link

I'm with you on this, Holly. Years ago I had a cold coffee brewer I forget what it was called but I'm sure someone can give us its name again that was essentially a large vessel for storing you water and coffee grinds during the 24 hour steeping process. There was this hole in the bottom of it where you stuck this thick filter which had a cork at the bottom. When you were finished steeping the brew, you would set it atop this decanter that came with the kit.  

The thing made exceptional coffee, but it was supposed to be a concentrate to which you would add hot water for your morning coffee. I never added water, finding the concentrate deliciously smooth and just right for the level of strength the way it was.  I kept the decanter in the fridge, and it would last just three or four days.
Foodieinfl
Foodieinfl

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 9:17am

Could it be a Toddy?  I'm not personally familiar with it, but it sounds similar.  I second the coffee concentrate.  My aeropress works the same in that it produces a very small amount of coffee (concentrate) to which you top off with hot water.  Delicious for iced coffee, but not practical.  I'd have to do at least 4 pressings to achieve 1 large Tervis tumbler.  :O
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 9:55am

Toddy Coffee: http://toddycafe.com/

Filtron Cold Brew Coffee Systems: http://www.filtron.com/

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CMIN

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 11:26am

Foodieinfl Said:

CMIN - I agree.  In a perfect world, I'd happily frolick to my local roaster each morning for the freshest beans possible, scratch that -- in a perfect world, I'd actually stop into Panera each morning for iced coffee.  I don't know what their brewing secret is, but it's heavenly.  Unfortunately, my morning usually consists of running Tasmanian-devil style through my apartment in an attempt to make it to work on time.  I also agree that I probably should not make a gallon at a time.

Posted July 26, 2012 link

Panera coffee is ok for a chain. But if you had something like the Toddy or Sowden Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com) , and a cheap hand grinder (you didn't say if you grind or you grind at the store), you'll make way better coffee if you can buy some fresh beans or see if there is a shop around you that will sell their own (generally cheaper than ordering online). You'd be better with a Toddy or Sowden and making multiple batches through the week vs one big ass one, as even cold brewed coffee starts going stale after about a day in the fridge. SCG has a vid showing the Sowden used for cold brew: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2vrc_D0Jbg
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best Brewing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311697006226)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+