Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Espro Press - 1st Look
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Espro Press -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sat Mar 26, 2011, 12:43am
Subject: Re: Espro Press - 1st Look

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Dave,

Do you have a Clever Coffee Dripper...

Len

Posted March 25, 2011 link

Len, can't help you.  I am not a fan of plastic and coffee  so the CCD has never been part of my arsenal.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:44am

BoldJava Said:

Len, can't help you.  I am not a fan of plastic and coffee  so the CCD has never been part of my arsenal.

B|Java

Posted March 26, 2011 link

It would be nice if Clever was made of porcelin.   I don't think its made of the "bad" plastic like the first production aeropress.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sat Mar 26, 2011, 12:12pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

... I don't think its made of the "bad" plastic like the first production aeropress.

Len

Posted March 26, 2011 link

It's not a health issue for me Len.  Just a very tactile sort and porcelain, glass, stainless steel, brass reign.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Jul 8, 2011, 6:00am

I had not seen this thread. My review went up in October of 2010 (with a minor update in December) so it might have been missed by some of the folks in this thread. It was the first "official" review of the Espro Press (according to Espro). You can read my review for the details, but second only to my Vibiemme Domobar Super, this is by far my favorite coffee making device. All the rich, full-bodied taste that one would expect from press pot, but virtually none of the muddiness of silt and sludge that a press pot passes into the cup. I have not used the Aeropress since the arrival of the Espro Press. The only negatives are that it is small (one mug at a time) and it is a bit of a mess to clean up (like any press pot). Can't help the mess, but the Espro folks say that a larger model is on the horizon!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
DoubleVanos
DoubleVanos

Espresso: Lelit PL41, DeLonghi EC155
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Ascaso mini,...
Drip: Chemex, Kone
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 1:07pm

A new french press design sounds intriguing, not bad looking either. Has anyone compared the cup from the Espro to a Chemex with a Kone filter?  I have Espro's toroid pitcher and really like it, and it's a definite bonus to me that they are a Canadian company to boot.
 View Profile Link to this post
Mike250

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2012, 1:21pm

anybody try a cold brew with the Espro Press?
marlap
marlap

Espresso: Starbucks Barista Athena
Grinder: Braun KM 30 (modded)
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 7:29pm

scpizza Said:

I also don't like how much coffee is left behind - 2 ounces.  The design keeps you from getting that coffee out because you can only press so far down on the plunger.

Posted March 25, 2011 link

the following tip seems to make sense per: http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/espropress.html

TIP: Because of the design of the press there is some room left around the filter assembly even when the plunger is fully depressed. This "void" leaves some liquid coffee at the bottom of the vessel. The coffee the Espro press makes is too good to waste, so I came up with this method to get the last drops out: Pour as much coffee out as will flow normally. When the pour slows to a dribble, and with the press still in the "pouring" position, hold the lid in place and pull the plunger out a few inches, then push it back in. Air is drawn into the press below the filter, and when you depress the plunger the air will be pumped out which pushes nearly all the remaining liquid through the filter and into your cup. The lid will be quite warm, so use care or a towel to hold the lid in place.

Furthermore, if you go on over to espro's website http://www.espro.ca/espro-press/ , it seems they now have a 30oz. model. $?
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 8:43am

marlap Said:

the following tip seems to make sense per: http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/espropress.html

TIP: Because of the design of the press there is some room left around the filter assembly even when the plunger is fully depressed. This "void" leaves some liquid coffee at the bottom of the vessel. The coffee the Espro press makes is too good to waste, so I came up with this method to get the last drops out: Pour as much coffee out as will flow normally. When the pour slows to a dribble, and with the press still in the "pouring" position, hold the lid in place and pull the plunger out a few inches, then push it back in. Air is drawn into the press below the filter, and when you depress the plunger the air will be pumped out which pushes nearly all the remaining liquid through the filter and into your cup. The lid will be quite warm, so use care or a towel to hold the lid in place.

Furthermore, if you go on over to espro's website http://www.espro.ca/espro-press/ , it seems they now have a 30oz. model. $?

Posted August 5, 2012 link

This method of plunging the last oz or so out of the press works like a charm and is very easy. After pouring all that will come out, I hold my thumb down on the top while pulling the plunger 3/4s of the way out and slowly press the plunger while in pouring position. You'll get that extra bit out with little fuss.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:35am

marlap Said:

Posted August 5, 2012 link

I'm so glad I came looking for this thread.  I had read about the Espro press on Randy's site www.espressomyespresso.com and wanted one since.  Well, I pulled the trigger the other day and ordered a small one for myself at the office and a large one for my Mom (who loves presspot) for a holiday gift.  Today, I made my first use of the small one and was blown away by the quality of the coffee, even though I brewed it slightly lower temp than I wanted. The cup was better than anything I've made in my Aeropress so far (bought it in September), and far superior to my Bodum.  I had totally forgotten about Randy's recommendation for getting the "leftovers" out.

EDIT:  Just brewed my second cup.  The "leftover plunge" worked great.  Also, I brewed this one where I wanted, at 200F and the cup is amazing. (Hawaiian Ka'U Typica from Klatch - used for the first cup as well, but at 190F it was ever so slightly sour)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:01pm

re: the "Leftover Plunge."
About a year or two ago at an SCAA show I showed that to the Espro folks- it was new to them as well as they had not thought far enough "outside the press."  ;-)
If for no other reason that it makes it a lot easier to clean the press without all the excess liquid in the press. On the other hand, the coffee the device makes is so good you don't want to waste any!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Espro Press -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.360729932785)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+