Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Will cheap coffeemaker give good quality coffee bad taste?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Will cheap...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TMiller

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 7:45am
Subject: Will cheap coffeemaker give good quality coffee bad taste?

Hello,
I posted a similar thread to this one but not exactly the same so I decided just to post a new thread instead of bringing back an old one. I have a $25 Mr. Coffee and I was wondering whether this would affect the taste of good quality ground coffee? I heard that cheap plastic coffee makers will give coffee a plastic taste and I was wondering if this was true. I'm currently trying to upgrade from Folger's and actually try real coffee rather than supermarket coffee. I would definitely buy a grinder and a better coffee maker if I was able to, but I'm a 17 year old student and it's a little bit out of my budget. I am however looking to order fresh ground coffee online but I don't want  to spend money on expensive coffee if it will lose its taste. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 7:59am
Subject: Re: Will cheap coffeemaker give good quality coffee bad taste?

If you're ordering pre-ground coffee, its already lost its taste by the time you get it. Even a cheap whirly-blade grinder and fresh whole beans will get you massively better coffee than anything preground, and far, far, superior to Folger's or any other supermarket coffee made from commodity beans.

I understand about being on a budget. I've spent most of my life there. But if coffee is important to you, you need to figure out the equation of how much the pleasure of a properly made, freshly brewed cup of really good coffee is worth and budget (in the other sense) to save for a better machine.

On that end of things, thrift stores can be your friend. There are almost always better coffee makers than what you currently have available at Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other local thrift stores. Just make sure it's got all the parts and you can return it if it doesn't work. I've seen numerous "grind and brew" type machines sitting on the shelf at my local Goodwill. Not the greatest, but better than what you've got. And usually under $20.

Even better, get a hot pot, a drip cone, and a small grinder. Yes, it's not as automatic as open the can, put coffee in the filter, pour water in the machine and drink the result, but it's a huge step up in quality. Grinders for pourover/drip are less pricey and you can, though it's not ideal, get by with a little whirly blade grinder for a while doing coffee that way.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 8:47am

Tight budget, you could also get like a $20 Moka pot, and a cheap hand grinder, like a Hario Slim or Skerton like $30-40 and you'll be set. May find a cheap Moka or pour over pot like mentioned above as well as old hand grinders at thrift stores, salvation army etc. Where are you thinking of buying online fresh beans?
TMiller

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 12:11pm

Thanks for the replies. GVDub, thanks I'll check out what you recommended. I think I am going to go with a grinder. I was also looking into an Aeropress. I've seen good reviews and it seems pretty affordable to me.

GMIN, I was looking into the Hario as well and that would probably be my choice if I did get a grinder. I do have the money to get and grinder and everything but I was skeptical because I hear that fresh ground beans make a better cup of coffee than supermarket coffee but I don't know how much better it tastes. One person that I talked to said that it doesn't make that much of a difference. How much of a difference would you say there is?

I was looking at gocoffeego.com after someone on here recommended it. Do you know of any other good sites where to buy quality coffee? Thanks.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 12:25pm

TMiller Said:

Thanks for the replies. GVDub, thanks I'll check out what you recommended. I think I am going to go with a grinder. I was also looking into an Aeropress. I've seen good reviews and it seems pretty affordable to me.

GMIN, I was looking into the Hario as well and that would probably be my choice if I did get a grinder. I do have the money to get and grinder and everything but I was skeptical because I hear that fresh ground beans make a better cup of coffee than supermarket coffee but I don't know how much better it tastes. One person that I talked to said that it doesn't make that much of a difference. How much of a difference would you say there is?

I was looking at gocoffeego.com after someone on here recommended it. Do you know of any other good sites where to buy quality coffee? Thanks.

Posted August 8, 2012 link

Oh there's a huge difference between fresh roasted and something bought at a store or even Starbucks that's been stale and sitting for months if not longer. And if your talking pre-ground, goes stale in about 15 min or so, so pre-ground coffee that's packed (or even if you bought a bag and ground at the store) will already taste blahhh, better than nothing, but if you can get good beans a cheap hand grinder you'll see way better results.

If you still on a budget for beans, a lot only sell in 12oz bags, but I think on gocoffee you can find Batdorf & Bronson in 1lb sizes at same/cheaper price as others offering 12oz, and plenty of other roasters like Paradise offers good prices on lb and shipping. I actually just placed an order for 2lbs shipped less than $20 of Brazil Santos from Don Pablo down here as heard from a few people how good they are including a member on here, hard to beat that pricing.

Search for a coffee roaster in your area too, quick search showed Stumptown and Dallis Bros are close to Queens and can just swing buy and grab a bag.
TMiller

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 2:14pm

I'll probably go with a grinder and beans then. Do you think an Aeropress would do the job? And if I bought an aeropress, what size of ground beans should I use? Isn't it medium or medium-fine? Is all the coffee on gocoffee decent?
AAAustin

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 10:03pm

I'm very happy with my Aeropress, both when I was using the paper filters and with my Disk Fine.

The grind I'm using is 5 clicks back from "locked up" on my Hario Mini Slim...maybe as fine as table sugar...it is just starting to clump a little...heck, you'll figure it out, fairly fine anyway :-)

The way to tell how fine to go with an Aeropress is how long it takes to press, around 30 seconds is good. Press with about 10 pounds or so of pressure (more pressure will actually make things go slower because you compress the grounds). If it is hard to press the grind is too fine and/or you are pushing too hard.

I don't have any experience with gocoffee but have been happy with everything I've received from Paradise Roasters. Any of the sources you have heard mentioned on this site will be a huge improvement over grocery store beans.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Will cheap...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240070104599)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+