Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 15 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 5:54pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread

jojo, where in Maryland are you? Like Jim, my Preciso's parked on 25F (for reference re: calibration, last I checked it was in the 6-7 range for espresso). I tend to use the 0:50 infusion time setting almost exclusively and stick with pretty close to a 16:1 water-to-coffee ratio (in grams). For turbulence, I usually start with B and dial up or down from there. It's unusual for me to go above C, but I'm working with a punchy Kenya roasted by Entimos right now that tasted like grapefruit juice on B and seems much more balanced to my palate on D (update: it's really good on E, too--uncharted territory for me).
 View Profile Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:38am

Josh,

I'm somewhat like you when it comes to the turbulence setting. After setting :50 for time, it's either "B" or "C" for the turbulence, rarely venturing past that. My wife, on the other hand, likes the majority of he coffee at "D" or "E". Whenever I brought her a cup brewed at my settings, she would mention that it lacked something. Next day I would bump up the turbulence (for the same coffee) and she would ask me what kind it was and tell me how much she liked it over yesterday's coffee. She's willing to try a cup at the milder settings, but definitely loves her rich sweets. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 9:59am

jojo, I also use the 50 sec. time exclusively.  I grind at 18 on my Preciso, which is close to drip grind.  I use 30 grams coffee per 12 ounces water, which works well for adding half n half and sugar.

After continually experimenting up and down, I prefer to stay at C turbulence.  Any lower and I would get too much coffee floating above the water.  Any higher and I feel the complexity suffers.  On every new roast I'll try the settings across the range.  Only once did my wife and I find we preferred A or B.  It was on a Klatch medium dark roast coffee that pumped out too much sweet caramel and smoke above the B setting, but which had some nice acidity and was well balanced at the A setting.

As for the other coffees I've tried that seem to do well at the C setting, they've all been high altitude Brazil or Panama medium roast chocolate fruit bombs.  These all have subtle fruit flavors that shine through if you don't agitate the brew too much.  The more you agitate, the more nuttiness takes over.

I always run a water-only cycle first thing that day before I brew a cup.

By the way, as far as grind setting goes, I sometimes grind at the wrong setting (30--for my Sowden Softbrew at work), and get a somewhat different cup, but I think the turbulence makes just as big a difference as the grind.  That is, unless you grind too fine.  Which brings me to my most important point: use the tried and true technique for finding the smallest grind that will work.  Start with one setting, then try a bit finer.  Keep going until you start to taste bitterness or the flavor seems to suffer, then back off.  I ended up with 18 after gradually reducing the grind down from 30.

Also, if you want to use a wide range of turbulence settings, know that pushing too close to the limit on grinding fine will affect the coffee adversely if you then move up to E turbulence.  I suspect that's what Bunn discovered, because they recommend a fairly coarse grind, which would tend to give you greater leeway for turbulence.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 4:29pm

Ok, we are being buried by those Brazen owners! Actually, I would own a Brazen if I did not have the Trifecta.

Anyone with new tips, tricks, questions or problems?

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 5:10pm

I know! I'm tempted to get a Brazen for my daughter at college, just so I can try it out when she comes home for the summer. The Trifecta has been pretty much trouble free since I purchased it in May. It's our only coffee maker, so it gets a lot of use. I have yet to clean a check valve out of necessity, only during normal monthly maintenance. I did have Amanda send me a new shower head seal, for I thought it might be the cause of some "blow-by" I was getting. It turned out to be the very fresh coffee from Wrecking Ball Roasters that I was using and of course, my usual 12 oz. volume. Lower volume of that coffee solved the problem and with a different coffee at my usual volume, I never saw the problem return. I did send an email to Amanda asking her to start on Version II, with either a temperature selection knob or a PID. She told me they need to sell a lot more of the current version before that can be justified. It's nice to dream though!  Take care!

Jim

germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 6:18pm

sweaner Said:

Ok, we are being buried by those Brazen owners! Actually, I would own a Brazen if I did not have the Trifecta.

Anyone with new tips, tricks, questions or problems?

Posted October 18, 2012 link

Scott, sounds like it is about time for you to come over for a roasting session so I can try your Trifecta and you can try the Brazen. Temp control is a very nice feature, I am surprised at how much better I enjoy a cup brewed at 200f compared to a 204f brew, next few days I will try 195f up to 199f and see what happens.
nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 4:41pm

I know this thread hasn't been update in over a month, but wanted to see if the Trifecta owners were still in love with their machine.

I'm coming from a Keurig (yes, I know, kill me now) brewer where I grinded whole beans that I recently sold and am thinking about buying the Trifecta.  I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and only need to brew one cup at a time.  I was thinking about getting an Aeropress setup with a kettle and digital scale but I'm thinking that I would prefer the Trifecta just because ease of use.
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 6:41pm

I'm pretty sure I would have a Trifecta if I were still single.  As a family man, I make and we drink a pot of coffee every morning so the choice was clear.

I really liked the cups I've had from the home Trifecta.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 6:47pm

nachoslibres Said:

I know this thread hasn't been update in over a month, but wanted to see if the Trifecta owners were still in love with their machine...

Posted December 3, 2012 link

Hi. Jack Black fan, I take it?!

Yes, still feelin' the Trifecta love after 6 months. Here's a comprehensive list of everything that's gone wrong during that time:

1. The beaker broke. Replaced free since it seemed to be due to a flaw in the glass rather than to rough handling. Thanks, Amanda!
  2. I got a barely incomplete press-out a few times. In each case the issue went away after I'd cleaned the filter screen and/or run a water-only cycle.

So, in my experience this thing is very reliable. And, most importantly, it makes great coffee! If you have access to a siphon (aka vac pot) with a metal filter/glass rod, that set-up makes a *very* similar cup; maybe try it out and see if you like the results before you plunk down a few car payments for the Bunn?

The best thing about the Trifecta is that it's encouraged me to standardize my brewing method, focusing less on process--aside from dialing turbulence up or down--and more on exploring the nuances of different coffees.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 1:06pm

nachoslibres Said:

I know this thread hasn't been update in over a month, but wanted to see if the Trifecta owners were still in love with their machine.

Posted December 3, 2012 link

Greetings,

I'm had mine for 6 months too and have been lovin' it everyday! It's been used for 4-6, 12 oz. cups ,~26.3 gms coffee, every day, without any "problems" along the way. Minor hiccups I have noticed in my Trifecta MB journey…

1. After a while, when the tank was heating the water for the next cup, I was getting an annoying drip from the shower head. If the brew chamber was left in while it was heating, this dripping water would just be absorbed by the used grounds (no problem). But, if I removed the brew chamber before removing the cup of coffee below it, water from the shower head would dribble all over the brew chamber "shelf" AND the freshly brewed cup of coffee. Thought it might be the check valve in the shower head, cleaned it first, then replaced with a new one. No change. Finally realized that filling the reservoir, multiple times, every day with 12 oz of water resulted in slightly more than 12 oz being heated in the tank and then "boiling over" through the valve in the shower head. This probably wouldn't be a problem if you brewed a range of sizes, but always brewing 12 oz and probably filling the reservoir just a tad more at times, seems to have caused this problem. Brewing one 8 oz. cup, solved the problem. I'm more careful now when I fill the reservoir to the 12 oz line and if I experience the dripping, I brew a smaller cup to fix it.

2. Once again, another 12 oz-related hiccup. Brewing multiple, 12 oz cups of of FRESH ( 2-14 days post roast) coffee everyday, results in coffee bloom residue accumulating on the shower head's underside. Over time, it will eventually back up into the check valves. Many times they are caked with coffee residue when I have taken them out for routine cleaning. I've never had a problem with those check valves, but do take them out and clean them when I routinely clean the valves in the brew chambers. I have also started to routinely wipe the brew chamber shelf and shower head with a damp paper towel after every brew "session". Knock on wood, I've never had an incomplete press-out due to a dirty check valve in the brew chamber.

3.  Another 12 oz. hiccup… 12 oz of water and CERTAIN TYPES of VERY FRESH coffee have occasionally caused "blow-by" on the shower head seal during the end of the press-out phase. Lots of bloom and BIG gas bubbles completely filling the space above the brewing liquid may push coffee particles into the fins of the shower head seal. Just before all the liquid is pressed out, I get a big "ppfftt" sound and can hear air leaking out of the seal on the shower head. I find coffee particles in the seal and evidence on the inner lip of the brew chamber that some liquid has migrated past the seal. Cleaned the big seal, then replaced with a new one. Same problem. Changed coffee, (still fresh, but lets say, less fresh) problem gone. Brew with the "blow-by" coffee again and it returns. Drop the volume down to a 10 oz cup and problem is gone.

Would I consider switching to 10 oz brews to eliminate any occurrence of these hiccups? Never ever! Couldn't live with drinking two ounces less of the fabulous coffee this thing brews. It's not what I would consider a "problem" and have adjusted my daily brewing routine to eliminate most of them. Take care!

Jim

showing page 15 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314492940903)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+