Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 229 of 293 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 8:10am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Great to see you back Alan! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 8:36am

Greetings Netphilosopher,

It's a pleasure to read a post which doesn't shy away from math.

I agree with your math.  Good work.

Regarding extraction percent in general, I'd like to make some comments:

I measure extraction to evaluate various brewing schemes.  I find it a valuable measure of brewing methods.

But I've found that it's not helpful to evaluate the tastiness of the brew.  Shortly after the introduction of the AeroPress I measured extraction by the laborious process of drying and weighing the spent grounds.  (Later I found the much easier process that we use now).  At that time I was measuring 15% extraction and believed that this low extraction was the reason why AeroPress brew was less bitter and less acidic.  I viewed 15% with pride.

But as time went on, I learned how to better use my own invention.  Specifically, I learned the art of pressing gently.  Pressing gently permitted me to use finer grinds and to achieve up to 25% extraction, yet the brew tasted just as smooth and sweet.

So, my current thinking is that high extraction is not detrimental to flavor if the brewing temperature and time are not excessive.

Best regards,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 12:47pm
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 12:59pm

paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 1:32pm

Alan,

I can't weigh in with the math stuff, but i am curious about your "pressing gently" comment.  How does this affect the brew, except to the extent that while pressing gently the grounds stay in the water a little longer?  I don't imagine that there's any significant effect from any variation of pressure.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 3:14pm

paulbel Said:

Alan,

I can't weigh in with the math stuff, but i am curious about your "pressing gently" comment.  How does this affect the brew, except to the extent that while pressing gently the grounds stay in the water a little longer?  I don't imagine that there's any significant effect from any variation of pressure.

Posted August 17, 2012 link

Hi Paul,

You're right, pressure doesn't affect the brew directly.  But pressing gently allows finer grind.  Before I learned the art of pressing gently, I was pressing fine grinds hard enough to choke the flow, so I was avoiding finer grinds.

One I learned to use finer grinds they yielded increased extraction, but without increased bitterness or acidity because I continued to use 175F water.

Although the press time is extended somewhat with finer grinds, the brew is still sweet.  

Alan
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 3:20pm

Netphilosopher Said:

One other note, Alan - I find that my general limit for immersion brews (CCD, AP, Press Pot and the like) is around 21.5% - much more than that and I get significant bitterness, some coffees can be pushed a half percent higher with the standard calculation for immersion (generally those that are lighter roast and/or fresher).

22% plus and even my wife (who's always my blind taster :D ) picks up the "roasty-ness" or "bitter" bite - even with lower temps and extremely fine grind and long contact times.

Sorry - quick edit:  the other thing I've noticed is that there is a tolerance for extraction based on the consumed strength - with the AeroPress, it seems that consuming at much higher than normal strength (say well above 2.2%) can enable 22% extraction or slightly higher to be taste acceptable, but then become bitter if diluted to 1.3% strength.  It's as if the stronger concentration has some masking properties.  

This phenomenon seems to be only with the higher extractions - something extracted to 18.2% with the AP (or other immersion brew methods) isn't bitter, independent of strength.

How long are your "long contact times"?

You also wrote, "but then become bitter if diluted to 1.3% strength".  I've not experienced that.  In fact I posted years ago that adding water is almost like adding sugar which elicited concurring responses.  But I'm also sure that different individuals have different taste responses.

Tell me about your coffee and the degree of roast.

Best,

Alan
onestep

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 3:45pm

AlanAdler Said:

How long are your "long contact times"?

You also wrote, "but then become bitter if diluted to 1.3% strength".  I've not experienced that.  In fact I posted years ago that adding water is almost like adding sugar.

Tell me about your coffee and the degree of roast.

Best,

Alan

Both please consider the one other major ingredient, the water.  What are you both using?  Mineral and chemical contents could greatly effect taste.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 6:40pm

"Both please consider the one other major ingredient, the water.  What are you both using?  Mineral and chemical contents could greatly effect taste."

I use tap water.  It tastes good.  Once at an SCAA convention I tried brewing with some specially treated water which was being marketed to cafe owners.  But I could not detect a difference between that and the local (Charlotte, NC) tap water.

Alan
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 6:47pm

showing page 229 of 293 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.424012184143)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+