Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Brew Basket Bed
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita Brew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 3:54pm
Subject: Bonavita Brew Basket Bed

This is what my coffee bed looks like after brewing.  The pick is not the best but it shows a large center hole with the the coffee pushed up the sides.  I am using a Baratza Virtuoso on setting 24 but I have tried some other settings as well.  Does this  seem normal?  I saw some pics on line of the grounds bed and they seem pretty much flat after brewing.  Any ideas?  The filters are white Melitta.

Thanks,
Matt

mwright: P1010586.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 4:06pm
Subject: Re: Bonavita Brew Basket Bed

Never used the Bonavita, but a convex bed is typical of any pouring style that focuses on the center of a cone. Give it a stir once all the water has been deposited and that should give you a flat bed.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 3:12am
Subject: .

CSG

Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 6:21am

I would *guess* it's a grind issue.  Do a little more experimenting.
mwright

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 8:55am

I have tried different grinds without a lot of luck.  I do have some new filters coming  today to try (Filtropa's).  If I pull the carafe right after the water stops flowing from the spray head it alomost looks level but what actually is happening is that their is a lot of water in the center that has not drained out yet.  As that water slowly drains it leaves the middle like it looks in the pic sometimes worse.  The strange thing is every once in awhile it will be a more flat bed.  I usually try to use a setting between 22 to 24 on my grinder but I have gone coarser with the same result.  I am not sure what setting other typically use.  Thanks for all the help.
svyerkgeniiy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 9:21am

I am guessing this is a bloom issue.  One clue is the "foam" on top of the grounds in your picture, that doesn't usually happen with older coffee.  Very fresh beans (within 4 days or so of roasting, less so after that, although it depends on the bean and roast levels) will foam up the moment hot water hits them.  This causes them to float.  You can get underextraction this way if you don't stir the grounds up and break up the foam.  This could also explain why sometimes it looks better than others: the older beans foam up less.

Try this: after some water has filled the basket, stop the brew and stir the basket grounds to break up the foam.  You might have to do this more than once.  Once the foam has dissipated, let the brew continue normally.  Unfortunately, not all brewers make this "stop and stir" process convenient, and I am unfamiliar with the Bonavita to have a feel for how convenient this is for you.

This may also be partly caused by the drip pattern in the brewer, as others have said.  Stirring part way will help this as well.

--dv

Donald Varona
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 1:02pm
Subject: .

mwright

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 5:14pm

Thank you very much everyone.
mwright

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 9:22am

Well I have tried some different things.  
Tried different filters - no difference
Tried the room temp pre infusion - no difference
The machine does not lend itself to turning on and off to try pre infusion.
Calibrated the grinder coarser and tried a setting of 28.  At the end of the water delivery the brew basket was 3/4 full of water and it took over 1 minute to drain fully.
Tried a setting of 20.  Basket almost completly full of water and took well over a minute to drain including what seemed like almost stalling at one point.

If I let it drain without me interfering such as swirling the brew basket I get that big v shape.  The really long drain down times are concerning as well.  I am wondering if I am geting a lot of fines.  I also noticed this same slow drain when I used my Tiamo dripper (Kalita clone).  This slow drain has gotten worse lately.
mwright

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 8:37am

OK I tried it on setting 35 on my Virtuoso and still the same thing.  3/4 of the way full of water and taking well over a minute to drain.  Any ideas.  The coffee is obviously pretty coarse at this point.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita Brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252378940582)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+