Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 233 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 9:18pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

andys Said:

This afternoon I tried making a batch to test out your assertion:

Steeped a long time, with gentle occasional stirring
Pressed very gently (this took two full minutes)

Posted August 19, 2012 link

I wrote "So, my current thinking is that high extraction is not detrimental to flavor if the brewing temperature and time are not excessive."  (empahsis added)

In my experiments, the only variable was fineness of grind.  I never steeped beyond the standard ten-second stir, and press time never exceeded one minute.  I think the increased extraction with the finer grinds was due to their presenting more exposed surface area to the water.  The stress on the ground coffee was relatively constant, except for a slight increase in press time as the grinds got finer.

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 5:05am
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 5:10am

jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:43am

jbviau Said:

Oh, well if upgrades are on the table, how about adding a little Trifecta-style check valve on the bottom to eliminate premature drip-through and render the inverted method obsolete? ;)

Posted August 18, 2012 link

Netphilosopher Said:

That would be the AeroPress steep-and-press.  Like a CCD steep and release but the brewer is an AeroPress.

Posted August 18, 2012 link

To the extent that inverted brewing in the Aeropress = nothing more than that, sure. But I'm not convinced you're right; there's that pesky "press" factor, for example.

AlanAdler Said:

As I've often written, normal drip-through does not make a difference in the strength or flavor of the brew.  I invite you to try two pressings:

Normal 2-scoops

Inverted 2-scoops

Let me know if you think either if better.

Best,

Alan

Posted August 19, 2012 link

Informally, I agree drip-through doesn't cause taste problems IF you're brewing with a paper filter AND either grinding finely with a quick steep OR using the plunger (insert, then pull back slightly) to keep drippage in check. However, not everyone Aeropresses this way. For instance, metal filters are popular. About those, even with the Able DISK Fine (which is pretty fine-gauge) I get more drip-through than I'd like (yes, tastewise) unless I invert or grind more finely than usual.

Which brings me to a "grind issue." Maybe I'm revealing my ignorance here, but I don't think anyone is going to argue that using a coarser grind and steeping longer in the Aeropress is 100% equivalent in terms of cup quality to what you get when you go with a finer grind and shorter steep time. The former is a gentler extraction that some might prefer--hence (I assume) the appeal of the inverted method. At least that's why *I* like it.

Anyway, it's in this spirit that I half-jokingly proposed adding a check valve. Thanks for your participation in this thread!
nroot

Grinder: Modded Hario Mini-Mill Slim
Drip: Aeropress, Bodum
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 2:19pm

Hi,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I've recently switched from brewing with a press pot to the aeropress, partly because I brew at work and love the ease of cleanup, and partly because I'm intrigued by how easily you can manipulate the process/variables. I'm finding this thread a bit difficult to navigate (I made it through around 30 pages and had to stop), so I apologize if the following questions have been hashed out elsewhere in the thread.

I've been messing with as many variables as I can, and thus far I've settled on this brew method as my favorite:

Invert method, paper filter (not sure I even need to invert with paper judging from these posts?)
15g of coffee @ 15 declicks on a modded HMMS
100g brew water @ 205 F
30 second pour, stir, wait 30 seconds, press for 25 seconds (aiming for 1:30 total contact time)
Dilute with 100g hot water

I started with a finer grind and shorter steep, but I found that the above method for me seemed to highlight the varietal characteristics of the cup a bit more, which is what I'm looking to get out of the thing (specifically the berry notes of a DP Sidamo, because it's my favorite flavor in coffee).

Now, I'm a complete amateur at this, but shouldn't I be able to get a similar flavor profile with a finer grind, by altering some other variables? How come I'm losing the berry notes when I go to a finer grind and a shorter steep (e.g. 9 declicks, 45s brew + 25s press)? Even with the HMMS mods, I feel 15 declicks is giving me some inconsistent grind sizes, so I would imagine that if I could reproduce the extraction of my favored method using a finer grind, that I'd get a more consistent cup, right?

Also, if there's a different ratio/grind/steep combination I could be using to get even more varietal flavor out, I'd love to keep experimenting!
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 2:27pm

You sound unsure and seeking guidance, altough it's hard to tell for sure online--Have you tried it the way it says on the package?  The inventor, (Alan Adler), went to great effort in blind taste testing trials to develop and refnine that method, and I personally have not found a better tasting recipe myself, (taste being subjective and all).

-Peter
nroot

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 3:45pm

dagoat Said:

You sound unsure and seeking guidance, altough it's hard to tell for sure online--Have you tried it the way it says on the package?  The inventor, (Alan Adler), went to great effort in blind taste testing trials to develop and refnine that method, and I personally have not found a better tasting recipe myself, (taste being subjective and all).

-Peter

Posted August 24, 2012 link

The guidance I'm specifically seeking is some insight into how grind size, steep time, and extraction interact. Obviously to maintain a certain extraction, grind size and steep time will have an inverse relationship, but I'm curious if anyone (looking at you Netphilosopher ;)) has looked at the constants/multipliers involved. For example, suppose I start with 14 declicks mod HMMS @ 1:30 contact time. Now suppose I tighten the grind to 7 declicks. If I want my extraction to remain the same, does my contact time also halve to 45 seconds? I think the answer is probably no, and I'm wondering what the curve looks like.

As for the default instructions, yes I've tried them, and I don't like them at all. I did the following experiment with the default instructions when I was playing around with different brew methods:

1. Brew three coffees (DP Harrar at Full City, DP Sidamo at Full City, Aged Sumatra at ?? - probably Full City+) using the instructions on the package (the instructions weren't precise, but I used 20g coffee @ 7 declicks on mod HMMS, 175 degree brew water to #2 circle, ~10s pour time, 10s steep/stir time, 25s press).
  2. Label the bottom of three identical mugs, wait for them to cool, have friend serve them to me in random order.

I could pick out the Sumatra, but I could not tell the difference between the Harrar and Sidamo. The coffee was clean but very uninteresting - if you'd asked me to guess totally blind, I'd have labeled the African DPs as Costa Rican or a Columbian WPs. Ouch.

I repeated the experiment with the process I used above, and I could easily pick out the three varietals. The Harrar let out some hints of lemon and berry, and the Sidamo had huge berry and melon. The finish of the Sidamo and Harrar were also quite different - lingering berry (maybe strawberry?) in the Sidamo and a much stronger chocolate for the Harrar.

I'm satisfied with the method I use now, but, e.g., a few months back I had a pourover of a Rwandan coffee at Intelligentsia that blew me away - it almost tasted as if lemon herbal tea had been mixed with the coffee. I would love to be able to get that much of the "non-coffee" flavors out at home.
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 6:22pm

nroot

Posted Fri Aug 24, 2012, 9:05pm

Netphilosopher Said:

15 declicks is great for about 2-3 minute steep for inverted AeroPress at first, but after wear the grind inconsistency comes on.

Posted August 24, 2012 link

Right, so this is where I'm at - I'm starting to get fines again. My thought is, take your recipie, for example, which actually looks pretty similar to what I'm doing. Now keeping the water temp and brew ratio constant, suppose you change the grind to 9 declicks. If you could alter the brew time to keep a 20% extraction, would you be getting a better cup because the fines are closer in size to the actual grind?

This is sort of what I'm looking for: the correct brew time at finer grinds. It makes sense that the shape of the time vs extraction curve is exponential, but what is the shape of the grind size vs brew-time-to-20%-extraction curve?

In my example I suppose the ideal graph would be #-of-declicks vs brew-time-to-20%-extraction, but even just a general idea of what a curve like that would look like would help narrow down the ranges in which I should experiment.
Netphilosopher

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 9:08am

showing page 233 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387111902237)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+