Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 232 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 11:06am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Andrew3199 Said:

Alan. At the moment I use my Aeropress to make a couple of 12 oz cups before leaving for work in the morning," Aero-carno" style. I think a 12 or 14oz capacity Aeropress would be perfect.

Posted August 18, 2012 link

One three-scoop pressing makes concentrate which dilutes to 15 oz of American coffee.  The formula is 5 oz American per scoop.

Best,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 11:15am

paulbel Said:

For me, it's about 4/10.  But to be more precise, it's for whenever there are 3 or more people wanting coffee.  I can make coffee for 2 with my aeropress, but not for 3 or 4.

I'd also suggest, Alan, that a larger size might be worth more money, in that, at least for someone like me, it would more likely to be used "for company" and therefore might also benefit from being a bit classier looking (actual glass?, lever?)

Hi Paul,

When we entertain I sometimes press concentrate into a carafe before the guests arrive.  As I've mentioned in prior posts, the formula is 5 oz American for each AeroPress scoop.  Two 3-scoop pressings is about right for my carafe.  Then I add hot water and serve when needed.  

But often I have to take custom requests -- decaf, latte, etc.

Best,

Alan
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 11:19am

jbviau Said:

Oh, well if upgrades are on the table, how about adding a little Trifecta-style check valve on the bottom to eliminate premature drip-through and render the inverted method obsolete? ;)

As I've often written, normal drip-through does not make a difference in the strength or flavor of the brew.  I invite you to try two pressings:

Normal 2-scoops

Inverted 2-scoops

Let me know if you think either if better.

Best,

Alan
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 12:11pm
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 12:17pm
Subject: .

gimpy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Old repaired Starbucks...
Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: the AeroPress, Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 replaces (still...
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 1:58pm

Hi, Alan. Nice to have you back. I also use a pyrex measuring cup to heat my water in the microwave. A couple  of months ago, I had the unboiling water explode on me when getting/checking it out in the microwave (Alarmed me, but I did not get burned). Per my wife's advice, I now keep something (your included stirrer) in the cup when heating it. My normal AP is 300 grams of water to 18-20 grams of coffee heated to boiling (200* where I live). Makes a nice 9-10 oz cuppa Joe.

It's not rocket science. I experimented until I found where I liked the taste. And that formula is where it's at for me. I will occasionally experiment a little, but always come back to there.

Frank, "Still the one"
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 2:00pm

Netphilosopher Said:

Alan,

Level scoops, semi heaping or heaping?

What is the approximate brew coffee mass for "2-scoops"?  (on average - I know there's variation in coffee density)

Posted August 19, 2012 link

Each level scoop (beans or grind are about the same weight) ~ 11.5 grams

Alan
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 2:05pm

gimpy Said:

A couple  of months ago, I had the unboiling water explode on me when getting/checking it out in the microwave (Alarmed me, but I did not get burned). Per my wife's advice, I now keep something (your included stirrer) in the cup when heating it.

Posted August 19, 2012 link

Did you see this?

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/590692#590692
andys
andys

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 4:21pm

AlanAdler Said:

I measure extraction to evaluate various brewing schemes.  I find it a valuable measure of brewing methods.

But I've found that it's not helpful to evaluate the tastiness of the brew.  Shortly after the introduction of the AeroPress I measured extraction by the laborious process of drying and weighing the spent grounds.  (Later I found the much easier process that we use now).  At that time I was measuring 15% extraction and believed that this low extraction was the reason why AeroPress brew was less bitter and less acidic.  I viewed 15% with pride.

But as time went on, I learned how to better use my own invention.  Specifically, I learned the art of pressing gently.  Pressing gently permitted me to use finer grinds and to achieve up to 25% extraction, yet the brew tasted just as smooth and sweet.

So, my current thinking is that high extraction is not detrimental to flavor if the brewing temperature and time are not excessive.

Posted August 17, 2012 link

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion. But your statement is in conflict with 60 years of blind testing, the guidelines of all the national specialty coffee associations, the double blind testing recently performed by David Walsh, and dozens (if not hundreds) of contemporary coffee professionals.

You don't disclose the details of your methodology, so it is hard to evaluate your claim. But your observations lack credibility for several reasons:
  1. The equipment that you previously described using for measuring TDS doesn't possess the accuracy or resolution to measure coffee properly.
  2. Are doing the math right? Who knows?
  3. The Aeropress is a terrific invention for which you deserve abundant credit, but it is not magic and does not reinvent the physics of brewing.

This afternoon I tried making a batch to test out your assertion:

Aeropress, inverted technique, standard paper filter
George Howell coffee blend, ground espresso fine
13.1g dose, 222g brew water at 175F
Steeped a long time, with gentle occasional stirring
Pressed very gently (this took two full minutes)
TDS measured at 1.45% using a VST Lab refractometer
Extraction yield calculated out to 24.9% using Extractmojo v3.0 in immersion mode

This was not a blind test by any means, but the brew had a distinctly bitter cast that got stronger the longer it sat in my mouth. It was not sweet at all.

I think 9 out of 10 coffee drinkers would decline to drink that test coffee batch if also given a choice of a coffee at similar strength brewed to 20% extraction yield.

I think it would be a terrible shame for coffee aficionados to buy high quality specialty coffee at $20/lb and ruin it by taking your advice. On the other hand, people who don't mind gas station coffee might be fine with it.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 4:34pm

strong disagreement. Debate.

but not actually insulting personally, just attacking the ideas and the assertions.

Still I'm glad I'm not a true coffee geek.
showing page 232 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.517193078995)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+