Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 234 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
WonderClown

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gave away a Saeco Via Veneto...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Drip: Buchner funnel + vacuum...
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 9:26am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Since you guys are interested in doing some controlled experimentation, I thought I'd point out an immersion brewing method that I've been using for years for my daily coffee which allows almost complete control over all the brewing parameters: grind size, brew ratio, temperature, and contact time.  The only constraint is a minimum on contact time which has an inverse relationship to grind size (particularly if there are a lot of fines), but you can still get very brief contact times with very fine grinds (even poor grinds with a lot of fines -- I use a Hario MMS).

A very old thread on my method is here: "Poor Man's Clover"

Please ignore most of my comments in this thread -- that was very early in my experimentation process, and I have learned a lot since then.  Ask me for tips if you want to try for yourself.  I "invented" this method, though I think the method has been independently invented by other coffee geeks over time, so I haven't applied for a patent.  ;)
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 12:14pm
Subject: ...

gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 12:37pm

WonderClown Said:

Please ignore most of my comments in this thread -- that was very early in my experimentation process, and I have learned a lot since then.  Ask me for tips if you want to try for yourself.

Posted August 25, 2012 link

Hi WonderClown,

What's new and different with your "Poor Man's Clover" these days?

For myself, I've pretty much gone completely to single cup pour-overs.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
WonderClown

Espresso: Gave away a Saeco Via Veneto...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Drip: Buchner funnel + vacuum...
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Sat Aug 25, 2012, 7:53pm

gt Said:

Hi WonderClown,

What's new and different with your "Poor Man's Clover" these days?

For myself, I've pretty much gone completely to single cup pour-overs.

Posted August 25, 2012 link

I've learned that Chemex filters work best (better than lab filters or other brands of paper coffee filter), and I found an adjustable circle cutter tool at a craft store that makes it easy to cut out the right size circles.  I've also learned that I prefer water just barely under 205F (which drops to 195-200F when the coffee is mixed in), but that is probably influenced also by my preference for light roasted (and home-roasted) coffee, which most people seem to agree does better at higher temps than dark roasts.  Lastly, get a big funnel -- my brew ratio has moved toward more and more water.  I now use about 250mL brew water for 16g coffee in most cases, unless I'm specifically going for a strong coffee or espresso substitute for making faux lattes.  I have also been known to use this rig to filter cold-brew coffee, and a big funnel really helps with that.  Also I use a very fine grind and aim for very short contact time, and I usually don't pre-heat the funnel anymore -- the temperature drop when I pour the slurry into the funnel is helpful to slow down extraction during filtering, which is longer than I'd like because my grinder produces a lot of fines.  I go back and forth on pre-heating the funnel, though -- in part it depends on what coffee I'm brewing.  (I like to get higher extraction from really light roasts, less from medium roasts, and much less from dark roasts.)

I also bought an electric vacuum pump on eBay after breaking my second hand pump (and getting a bit tired of having to pump by hand anyway).  By the way, in a pinch -- human lungs can pull enough of a vacuum to make this rig work quite well.  I had to do that for a while after breaking those hand pumps.  It's actually easier than the hand pump, I'd say.  (Seal the end of the tube with your tongue once you've pulled the vacuum, so you don't have to keep sucking on it the entire time.)
CaptainCowPie
CaptainCowPie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Not Yet
Drip: Aeropress & Bonavita...
Roaster: Heat Gun / Bread Machine
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 6:57am

Glad to see so much discussion on this thread again. I still use my Aeropress almost everyday, along with the Mypressi Twist. I use the inverted method, but now with the Coava/ABLE metal DISK. The funny thing about the DISK is that I like the original one better than the newer one with finer holes.

I tried to cram two scoops of coffee into the Aeropress for the longest time, but finally went to one scoop based on Alan's advice long ago. I would definitely welcome a larger Aeropress to allow for a larger cup of coffee, and for when I have guests.

Welcome back Alan!

Vince
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 9:07pm

CaptainCowPie Said:

Glad to see so much discussion on this thread again. I still use my Aeropress almost everyday, along with the Mypressi Twist. I use the inverted method, but now with the Coava/ABLE metal DISK. The funny thing about the DISK is that I like the original one better than the newer one with finer holes.

I tried to cram two scoops of coffee into the Aeropress for the longest time, but finally went to one scoop based on Alan's advice long ago. I would definitely welcome a larger Aeropress to allow for a larger cup of coffee, and for when I have guests.

Welcome back Alan!

Vince

Posted August 28, 2012 link

At the World AeroPress championship (April 2012 in Portland) I asked Tim Varney, who runs AeroPress championships all over the world, if they allow metal filters.  He said yes, but no metal filter has ever won a heat.  Each heat has three entrants and their brews are judged solely on taste.  

Alan
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 4:20am
Subject: ...

jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 5:26am

Well, to be fair, the "no metal filter has ever won a heat" bit is only meaningful to the extent that people have actually been competing with metal filters in comparable numbers (I'm assuming not).
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 8:29am

jbviau Said:

Well, to be fair, the "no metal filter has ever won a heat" bit is only meaningful to the extent that people have actually been competing with metal filters in comparable numbers (I'm assuming not).

Posted August 29, 2012 link

yebbut, why not?

if i were in a competition to win, i'd want to put my best foot forward no matter what.  to me, this is a strong sign that metal filters make poorer aeropress drinks than paper filters.  and it is a DEFINITE sign that the competitors think so, (or they would have used metal).

fwiw, i also have a metal filter for my aeropress and am perfectly happy with it.  so my comments above are my "scientist-brain" speaking.  it's hard to ignore data like that.

i use my metal filter about half the time compared to paper.

-peter
CaptainCowPie
CaptainCowPie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Not Yet
Drip: Aeropress & Bonavita...
Roaster: Heat Gun / Bread Machine
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 8:39am

AlanAdler Said:

At the World AeroPress championship (April 2012 in Portland) I asked Tim Varney, who runs AeroPress championships all over the world, if they allow metal filters.  He said yes, but no metal filter has ever won a heat.  Each heat has three entrants and their brews are judged solely on taste.  

Alan

Posted August 28, 2012 link

I know there was a lot of talk about filters that let the oils through, specifically polyester, in the past. I used the polyester filters for some time until they released the metal filter. I still prefer to have the oils in my cup, but I do have to wonder why a metal filter has never won. All the more reason to experiment just a little bit more. ;)

Vince
showing page 234 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3758289814)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+