Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Baratza Preciso grind settings for different brewing methods
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bsbxl

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster, CCD,...
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 12:51pm
Subject: Baratza Preciso grind settings for different brewing methods

Last weekend I acquired a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso grinder. So now I can finally start to use freshly ground beans for my coffee!

In his CoffeeGeek review of the Baratza Vritoso Preciso, Mark Prince gives several settings to grind for different brewing methods. These are his recommended (slow coffee) settings:
  • Mokapot: 14H
  • Fine drip: 20G
  • Regular drip: 22F
  • Coarse drip: 25G
  • Press pot: 33G

I am rather new to coffee and I am experimenting with several slow coffee brewing methods. I would like to use Mark Prince's recommended settings as a starting point. However I am not sure how these settings relate to some of the brewing methods I intend to experiment with:

1. For my Technivorm Moccamaster I think I should use the "regular drip" (22F) setting to start with.
  2. The "mokapot" (14H) setting should be ok for my Bialetti mokapot I suppose.
  3. The "press pot" (33G) setting should evidently be a good starting point for my Bodum Chambord press pots.
  4. What would be a good starting point for the Bodum Santos vacuum pot?
  5. The Clever Coffee Dripper is like a combination of a drip and a press pot. Should I use a setting in between the "regular drip" and the "press pot" settings? Would the "coarse drip" (25G) then be a good starting point? In general for a pour over, would I want to start with the "regular drip" setting?
  6. For the Aeropress (standard brewing method), would the "fine drip" (20G) be a good setting to begin with?

Thanks for your input!
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 4:31pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso grind settings for different brewing methods

Guessing you don't want anything for espresso. I've ground a few times for other than espresso but can't remember what settings I used as it's very rare we drink anything but espresso. But the cool thing about this grinder, when you open it up you'l see the calibrator panel, you can set it for finer/neutral/coarse. So if you going for more course grinds you can set it to coarse and have more adjustment for that, and if you end up wanting espresso you could set it in the middle to give equal good settings for both.

Units can be somewhat varied for calibration so it's kinda hard to go by what others are using and some will post settings that are after when the burrs have broken in. Choose which ever you want to do first, and play with the settings for just that (drip etc) and once you get that bialed in, then you'll have an easier time figuring out the others.

For example I know on mine I think Mark said something about 10 or so for espresso, but mine and others on here are more within the range of 6 clicks for espresso, and Moka you want slightly coarser then that grind. If I went to 14 that would be waaaaay to coarse for me.
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 11:20am

Be careful with taking the settings that worked for somebody else as the same exact settings on your machine. They are all calibrated in the factory and will all differ slightly at this point, but also to the extent that other users have calibrated their own machines. I think the settings will help you get in a general range for certain brew methods, but you will need to tweak it a bit yourself to get it right.
bsbxl

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster, CCD,...
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 12:43pm

Thanks for your replies!

CMIN, you are right, I am not grinding for espresso. For the moment I am gonna keep with slow coffee brewing methods. I didn't know it was possible to calibrate the Baratza Preciso. Went looking at YouTube and I found a video how-to.  So I might try that! What is the effect of the calibration? I would calibrate for coarse as I won't need the fine grind for espresso. Will it limit the fine grinding and allow an even coarser grind? Or will it just grind more even at the coarser settings? or both? Will it still grind fine enough for the mokapot?

Also, I am not looking for absolute grind settings, just for starting points. Perhaps I should rephrase my questions a bit and put them rather in relative terms (however a specific starting point would be handy...):

For the brewing methods I intend to use, the mokapot will require the finest grind. At the other side of the grind spectrum, the french press will need the coarsest setting. In between, the Moccamaster will probably need some kind of medium grind. Relative to those three grind settings, how should I grind for the other methods (clever coffee dripper, Bodum Santos vacuum pot, Aeropress and classic pour over with a Melitta filter)? For example, if the CCD would need a finer grind than the Moccamaster, would it be just a bit finer, close to the Moccamaster grind or rather closer tot the mokapot grind?
Sam21

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 1:33pm

You can calibrate it either way if you feel the need to. The Baratza lineup has such a large range that you may not find it necessary. Meaning, you can calibrate it to the coarse range, but many of the coarsest settings will be unusable. In my experience, I find that Baratza ships the units with the ability to grind drip/press without issue. If you were unable to get a coarse enough grind for press or CCD, then you could calibrate it.

For me, I use between 16-22 for pourover/drip coffee. I adjust for other brew methods with this as a guide. For press, I would likely start right around 28-30, but again I used the settings on Coffeegeek and then adjusted to suit taste and proper extraction. After a while, you will get comfortable eyeing a grind.

For CCD, I find a french press coarse grind works best. For a vacpot, a drip grind is what I use. My aeropress method calls for a fine drip grind.
coffeeguydenton

Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 5:09am

Before trying to start a whole new thread, I thought I would attempt to revive this one.  Which of the above settings would be closest for Chemex?  I realize that once I get started I will have to dial it in to the best setting for my grinder and my taste, but it would sure make my life easier if I have a good starting point (even "somewhere around 5 o'clock" or something generic like that would be helpful).
Sam21

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 6:57am

Pick a brew time and go with 22-24 for starters. Adjust coarser or finer based on timing/extraction.
coffeeguydenton

Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 7:41am

Sam21 Said:

Pick a brew time and go with 22-24 for starters. Adjust coarser or finer based on timing/extraction.

Posted June 20, 2013 link

I went with 24 for starters.  It made an excellent cup.  Hard to evaluate how much of that was the grinder and how much was the coffee since it was a new coffee that I haven't had before.  I will spend some time grinding at different settings to compare.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253529071808)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+