Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
New Technivorm KGBT....could use some tips....
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
fotomatt1

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 6:40am
Subject: New Technivorm KGBT....could use some tips....

So I just got a new Technivorm KGBT to replace an old Krups machine that did not make very good coffee.  Every morning I'd make myself a cup of coffee with my Chemex and also brew my wife a pot in the Krups so she could take 32 oz with her to work in a thermos.  I very rarely drank the coffee from the Krups, and the only way I could make it appealing was to double up on the Melitta #4 filters, as this seemed to take the acidity down to a level closer to the Chemex.  

I finally broke down and bought the Technivorm as I don't have the energy to be a barista every single morning and figured I'd get a machine capable of brewing coffee almost as good as a manual pour-over.  I just haven't gotten it just right with the Technivorm yet.  Today was my second time using it, and my coffee just tasted a little thin....still doesn't have the body that the Chemex coffee does.  Everybody's tips talk about how many scoops of coffee to use after it's ground, but I'm curious to know how much whole bean coffee to use before I put it into my grinder.  I weigh it out for the Chemex, and I'm assuming I should do the same for the Technivorm, but would like to know how many grams for a 6 cups, 8 cups and 10?  I don't want to grind it and then measure and have leftover coffee.  Does anybody have any advice?  Also, does anybody double up on paper filters, or just use one?

Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 11:57am
Subject: Re: New Technivorm KGBT....could use some tips....

Hi Matt! Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

I couldn't find a "KGBT" model in the TechniVorm line-up. How many liters does your brewer make: 1 or 1.25? Did your brewer come with a coffee scoop?

I never weigh my coffee beans (or water). I have a 1 liter thermal model (KBTS) & I use 5 level scoops of beans for a full 34 oz. You'll have to decide how finely you want it ground, but I've discovered that my TV brews a richer, fuller, sweeter pot when I don't grind it as fine as I did with past brewers.

Unfortunately, I only use a SwissGold filter, so I can't help you with your paper filter question.

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
fotomatt1

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 12:01pm

Here's the link to the KBGT...it's a 1.25L thermal carafe with auto shut off basket.

http://www.boydscoffeestore.com/brewing/KBGT741.php

Thanks for the advice.  My machine did come with a scoop...I was accustomed to using my stainless steel 2 TBSP scoop that I've used for years, but I suppose I can use the Technivorm scoop.  How does the gold filter work?  Do you wind up with a lot of sediment in your coffee?

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 2:40pm

The Technivorm scoop filled level with beans seems to weigh 10 grams fairly consistently, but you can try it and see.

General guideline is 60g per litre of water as a start point, and modify from there depending on your personal taste.

My Technivorm is marked as 1 cup = .125l The US versions may be different, but if they are the same, then on that basis, 6 cups/45g, 8 cups/60g and 10 cups/75g

Single paper filter works fine for me. Currently using some Frida chlorine free white filters made in Sweden.

Somewhere I have the Bodum version of the gold filter and it would probably fit, but I've never bothered to try.
Eiron
Eiron

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 2:40pm

Interesting! I didn't think to check Boyd's for their model numbers. TechniVorm calls that same model the KBT 741.

So I'd start with 6 TV scoops for a full pot. You could even measure out the 6 scoops into a bowl, then see how many of your stainless 2 Tbsp scoops it is. Then adjust the quantity up or down from there.

The only sediment I get is in the last cup, so it doesn't really bother me. But, I grind a little coarser now than I used to. When I was grinding finer I'd get more sediment. Also, I enjoy getting the things in my cup that paper removes (like coffee oils & micro-fine suspended particles), & those things I don't get (like paper flavor & processing residues).

The SwissGold works wonderfully for me; I enjoy the more robust flavor & not continually buying more filters. But I realize it's not for everybody. And from what you've said, I'm guessing it's not for you. It sounds like you prefer a cleaner brew, so paper's definitely the way to go for those kinds of results!

Play around a little with the coffee quantity to get the strength & flavor right. Then you can play with the grind to see what effect that has on brew balance.

Have fun! :-)

fotomatt1

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 2:44pm

So the difference between the KBT and the KBGT is the fact that the KGBT has an auto drip stop when you pull the carafe out rather than the switch on the filter basket.  Apparently some people like the switch on the basket better as they can control the flow of water through the grounds, but i felt like that was overkill for me.  If I want to manually control it that much I'll just use my Chemex.
Eiron
Eiron

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 3:44pm

Ah, I understand now. I wonder why that model's not on TechniVorm's website?

When I bought mine the on-the-basket control was the only version they offered. Honestly, with the degree in variability of dissolved solids from beginning to end of the brew cycle, I never use the drip-stop anyway. I do use the full/half flow control settings since I don't always want to drink a full liter of coffee myself, but it doesn't sound like that will ever be your situation if your wife takes a quart with her to work.

EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 5:33am

__________ Said:

The Technivorm scoop filled level with beans seems to weigh 10 grams fairly consistently, but you can try it and see.

General guideline is 60g per litre of water as a start point, and modify from there depending on your personal taste.

My Technivorm is marked as 1 cup = .125l The US versions may be different, but if they are the same, then on that basis, 6 cups/45g, 8 cups/60g and 10 cups/75g

Single paper filter works fine for me. Currently using some Frida chlorine free white filters made in Sweden.

Somewhere I have the Bodum version of the gold filter and it would probably fit, but I've never bothered to try.

Posted September 11, 2012 link

My unit's water reservoir fills at eight cups, which is exactly one liter so the measurement per cup is the same as yours. For a full pot I use 60g of fresh roasted coffee ground to look like what is in my attached photo.

EricBNC: IMG_1627 75.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 6:32am

In my opinion one of the shortcomings of the Technivorm is it's inadequate spray head.

Sure, everything gets wet by the end of the brew, but I don't think simply wicking up water from underneath is enough. I really wish the spray head would disperse water over a greater area of the brew basket. This is even more critical on freshly roasted coffee. Out of my Behmor roaster, I get a very powerful bloom in my coffee if I brew it without much rest. Enough bloom that I know there are grounds that don't get wet until near the end of the brew cycle without assistance.

So I like to give my brew basket a stir mid way through the cycle. This ensures pushing through any bloom and getting all grounds in some water. I find this makes a tremendous difference.
Java_Jiver
Java_Jiver

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Technivorm 741
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 8:22am

fotomatt1 Said:

Here's the link to the KBGT...it's a 1.25L thermal carafe with auto shut off basket.

http://www.boydscoffeestore.com/brewing/KBGT741.php

Thanks for the advice.  My machine did come with a scoop...I was accustomed to using my stainless steel 2 TBSP scoop that I've used for years, but I suppose I can use the Technivorm scoop.  How does the gold filter work?  Do you wind up with a lot of sediment in your coffee?

Posted September 11, 2012 link

If you fill water to the 8 cup line in your TV, you will have 1 liter; if you follow the coffee geek line, a good starting point is 60 grams of beans per liter.

Depending on the roast, I personally vary that 60 gram standard by as much as + 5 grams. I have settled on a grind verging on _fine_ for most of the coffees we prefer, and only 1 coffee filter.

The other recommendation that other owners posting here is beneficial is to keep the valve closed for the first minute or so in order to get the coffee to bloom, then stir midway thru the brewing cycle to ensure all of the grounds are evenly soaked.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308949947357)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+