Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Need advice; what to do with vintage machine.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need advice;...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 9:49pm
Subject: Need advice; what to do with vintage machine.

Okay guys, I haven't posted in quite a long while.  I have got an old coffee maker that I am kind of wondering whether or not I should be using daily, or should I pack it away as something "historic and significant".  It is a Melitta 120 Automat, in its original box.  I got it last year in like new condition, and have been using it every day.  Makes great coffee.  But, should I be using this thing?  How many, or few, might there be out there?  Or am I being a dork, thinking that a coffee maker would be significant in any meaningful way,  besides its ability to make coffee?
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 4:38am
Subject: Re: Need advice; what to do with vintage machine.

Nice find there! Can you post a photo of it? I love these old Melittas even though my oldest is from the late 70's/early 80's - it is a model ACM-10, so not even close to as old or rare as yours!

I put my Clarity on the shelf for display since it is moderately rare, so displaying it since you have other nice machines wouldn't make you a dork in my book. I am using an engineering sample 110v Douwe Egberts machine made by Technivorm on a fairly regular basis even though I have plenty of other choices and I am sure I will never be able to replace it if it fails. It really can be a tough call sometimes.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Eiron
Eiron
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 11:39am

In other "collectible" arenas, some use may be considered acceptable to an item's condition & value. (Wear marks on furniture, for example.) But I don't know about appliances? They seem like items that would "wear out" rather than "break in."

I would think that it's "most valuable" condition would be as you bought it, "in its original box ... in like new condition," without additional use. I can see running a few brewing cycles for test/verification purposes, but if you've been using it for a year or so then that might be stretching it a little. ;-)

My question would be, "Why did you buy it?"

If you bought it to use it, & you actually like the way it brews, then my view would be to continue to use it. You'll get more enjoyment out of it than if it's just on display. Then, when it either dies or you tire of its output, you can add it to your museum pieces.

If, however, you bought it to save/display & hope to see it increase in value, then maybe put it up on a pedestal. But you'll have to consider how much your daily use has affected its future value.

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 3:06pm

Oh, without a doubt use it and enjoy the very good coffee it will make.  I know these are vintage by now (1965 ?) but they do still crop up from time to time (over here, anyway).  Keep the box in case you do ever want to sell it, but it isn't in brand new unused condition now, so don't worry.

I have several vintage coffee makers, ranging from a wonderful 1960's glass Proctor Silex percolator that lights up inside, to 2 classic Cona "Rex" syphons - one electric and the other with a spirit heater. They haven't been made since the mid-50's but do still turn up occasionally.

They all get an outing from time to time.  The Conas make the same quality brew as their new descendants, and even the P-S Percolator make an acceptable cup, which is more than can be said for some of the other percolators I have.
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 4:50pm

Yeah, I think I'll just continue using and enjoying it.  I just felt like I might be abusing a piece of history, kind of like using a classic car as an everyday driver.  When it eventually quits, which could be several years, I'll just put it on a shelf somewhere with the box.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 5:21am

I still would like to see a photo of this machine if you find the time.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 8:24am

__________ Said:

... a wonderful 1960's glass Proctor Silex percolator that lights up inside ...

Posted September 11, 2012 link

Ooh! Ooh! Got any pics or links? This sounds really cool!

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 8:47am

bodum_fanatic Said:

Yeah, I think I'll just continue using and enjoying it.  I just felt like I might be abusing a piece of history, kind of like using a classic car as an everyday driver.  When it eventually quits, which could be several years, I'll just put it on a shelf somewhere with the box.

Posted September 11, 2012 link

I think classic cars should be driven as well, unless they are absolutely unique.  They generally stay in much better condition being used everyday (and maintained well) then abandoned in an old garage or barn, and vintage kit that isn't used for its intended purpose is mostly pointless.

I used (2 years ago) to have a 77 MGB GT as my only car.  I currently don't have a car at all since moving to the US, although I'm now shopping around for another MG...  maybe an A :)

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 12:22pm

Eiron Said:

Ooh! Ooh! Got any pics or links? This sounds really cool!

Posted September 12, 2012 link

Even better (hope the moderators will permit an ebay link on this occasion) there's an identical one going for sale on US ebay - in fact there are a couple of them.  

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

Mine is the same, except 230v of course.  Massively retro if you're into that sort of thing (I confess that I am).  Made in the US, so I imagine they are very common over there.

2 lights in the base illuminate while brewing, then one goes out when brewing is over, and the heater continues to tick over at a lower temperature.

For a percolator it actually makes a drinkable brew.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 1:42pm

That's pretty cool, the light looks great with clear water, what does coffee do to how the light looks?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need advice;...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.391733884811)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+