Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Confessions of a Brikka Lover
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 157 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Enkerli
Enkerli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2012, 8:22am
Subject: Re: Confessions of a Brikka Lover

Hey gang!
[
Havenít been active on CG for a while. Part of my excuse was a 5-week trip to Spain, France, and Switzerland. (In case you wonder: Iíve mostly been disappointed with my coffee experiences over there, though I had fond memories of Swiss coffee. IOW, ďThird WaveĒ coffee has spoiled my palate and I canít drink stale coffee anymore.)

AnyhooÖ

Very happy to hear from ďJunior MembersĒ, around here. A very positive sign, especially since some of you are so experienced in MP brewing.

Nikki:
Nice to hear about multiple-generation MP brewing, from your kids helping out to your grandmother enjoying your old MP. A journalist (or Bialetti marketer) should do a feature with your family! ;-)
Homeroasting is quite a bit of fun and it sounds like youíd enjoy it, but itís probably not for everyone. Never went to NE (did live in NB, though), so maybe quality coffee is difficult to get locally where you are. But if you do have a local source, Iíd encourage you getting small amounts from a local roaster. In fact, thereís something to be said about packaging individual doses of whole beans. After roasting, I put my fresh beans in mini spice jars with clamps (like , but from the dollar store). I know how impractical itíd be for a large roaster, but there could be ways to arrange these things so theyíre efficient. Especially since reusable jars are probably better for the environment than throw-away packaging.

Rob:
Liking your attitude about experimentation and fun. Your desire for consistency makes sense, though. And it can be a bit tricky with MP brewing. As weíve discussed on occasion, itís pretty forgiving a method, but itís also somewhat imprecise.
It does sound like youíre looking at the right parameters. As you say, a camping stove might help by providing a more precise heating area.
Perhaps a silly question but do you weigh your grounds and water? Itís conceivable that some of the variation in results youíre getting may come from small differences in dosage, unless you do weigh things.
Another obvious thing is to look at your grind. Are you getting a very consistent grind? Any static? Did you try different grind levels for the MP?
Iím surprised that the Brikka would be more consistent but perhaps it has to do with the smaller diameter of the basket? Maybe you get less channeling in the Brikka because distribution matters less? Just thinking out loud, here. In fact, what exactly is inconsistent in the MP brews?
As for Vietnamese coffee, Iíve never made it at home but do enjoy it on occasion at Vietnamese restos. In fact, I probably mentioned it at some point as part of coffeeís diversity. Didnít realize that the roasting method was so different. A huge disadvantage of Vietnamese coffee from a restaurant is that itís made from Vietnamese coffee beans which are usually low-grade robusta. But I might take your lead and experiment with some green beans I have here. Might have to retrieve my old ďZanzibarĒ MP as I donít really want to mess with my Moka Express seasoning.

Ty:
Something we have discussed fairly frequently is the distinction between aluminum and stainless steel. Any reliable information weíve seen so far states that aluminum vessels are safe. Theyíre not the reason weíre regularly digesting a certain quantity of aluminum. As for acidity, I really donít think coffeeís pH compares to that of foods which may cause the layer of aluminum oxide to be broken down.
While I understand your disappointment, I enjoy my aluminum pots.
I might be wrong in the matter, but Iíll only worry once I get convincing evidence that itís a problem, at which point Bialetti might be convinced to manufacture SS Brikka again.

Ken and Frank: Hello! ;-)

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Sun Jul 29, 2012, 8:29am

Oh, and BTWÖ

Got back from my trip on Wednesday and Iíve been finishing a bag of Handsome Coffee beans I got before I left. So these beans are almost two months old.
In my Moka Express, Iím getting a bunch of off-flavours which make for a relatively unpleasant experience. Still better than most coffee Iíve tried in Europe, but a far cry from what Iíve grown used to. In fact, itís the first coffee Iíve tried when I came back and it was like adding insult to injury. But, of course, what could I expect from stale coffee?
Thing is, these beans are more than decent as AeroPress. Made several cups and it rivals some of the best coffee Iíve had since I bought these beans. Not that itís very aromatic or complex in any way. But itís tasty without off-flavours, which is definitely a lot more than I can say about much of the coffee Iíve had in the past two months.

Ok, okÖ This might be more of a rant about coffee in Western Europe. But itís also a way to say that different brewing methods may provide pleasant results in suboptimal conditions.

Alex
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Sun Jul 29, 2012, 8:56am

Gotta love this, as part disclaimer, in a SweetMarias.com description of their Vietnamese beans:

This coffee will set you back a big .75 cents per Lb. and we ask you to respect our 1 Lb. limit for your safety and for my sanity.

Still, Iíd like to try the Vietnamese slow roast with ďbutter oilĒ.

Alex
nikesta

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: porlex hand grinder
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 8:25am

frankthecrank Said:

After supper I can't drink a whole cup of coffee so I make a mini Americano with it. I brew the moka, put it in a small cup, add hot water, cream and sugar and get just enough of a caffeine fix for the evening! Delish!

Posted June 5, 2012 link

:-) My 5-yr old and I tried something similar.  After reading Pippi Longstocking (who has coffee for breakfast).  So occasionally we brew up some decaf, add a bit of milk sprinkled with cocoa-mix.  I have the brikka 2c now--which she prefers :-)  I think because of the whoosh.  It makes about the same amount as my 1 cup.

Thanks!
Nikki
 View Profile Link to this post
nikesta

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 8:27am

KiteRob Said:

creating almost a caramel-like coating effect with the use of a small amount of sugar, oil, and generally a touch of vanilla or cocoa.

Posted July 3, 2012 link

This sounds like something else to add to my to-do's.  Thank you!
nikesta

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 8:48am

Enkerli Said:

In fact, thereís something to be said about packaging individual doses of whole beans. After roasting, I put my fresh beans in mini spice jars with clamps

Posted July 29, 2012 link

Welcome home, hope you enjoying good fresh coffee again.  I am a newcomer to coffee in my family.  As I like fresh dark, strong coffee, and would rather do without than have bad coffee.  If I hadn't ended up working in a building with a coffee-shop, I probably would still not realize that enjoyable coffee existed.  Made it through college without coffee, somehow. ;-)

Thanks for the packaging idea .  The closest local roast I have found was still too far for driving, so I occasionally mail order a pound from the roaster, then divide and mail half on to my mom, to enjoy while they are still fresh.  My mother-in-law, who is nearby usually humors me with sharing a cup, but tells me she prefers lighter roasts than I have found myself enjoying.

So if I would take my half pound and seal it up into spice jars, each dose would stay fresher?  I wouldn't mind a little coffee line-up at all.  Will look for little containers the next time I am super-store or dollar-store shopping.

Also, I have been trying to guess where NB is, but am not clever enough to understand.

Thanks and have a great day!
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 4:59pm

nikesta Said:

Also, I have been trying to guess where NB is, but am not clever enough to understand.!

Posted September 24, 2012 link

New Brunswick.

Alex
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 5:15pm
Subject: Brikka and Baratza Preciso

Hey all!

Just got myself a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso. Using it to grind some Sidamo for my AeroPress with Coava disk, I found out that I could go quite fine (went all the way down to 6D) and I wasnít getting fines. Got more bitterness out of the beans, though.

Then I tried the same grind for my Brikka. The impressive thing is the intense aroma. What I was mostly getting from these beans, until now, was the kind of cherry-flavoured chocolate filling. But this Brikka version, at a fine grind, was like ęCrŤme de cassisĽ (blackcurrant liqueur). The flavour was rich and complex like little Iíve had in recent past. The crema was smooth and sweet. Really nice shot.
I do notice some fines at the bottom of the cup, though. Now, it might be stuff remaining in my Brikka, especially since itís much smaller than the grounds themselves (though the grounds are really quite fine). But I was wondering what grind level other Preciso owners might be using for Brikka brewing.
Iíll probably experiment more, but itís always fun to discuss these things.

Alex
RaptorHornet
RaptorHornet

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Hario Siphon, Brikka
Drip: Kalita 1cup, Aeropress
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 4:54am

FINALLY got my own 2cup after like what?  A year? Haha! XD

Anyway, it's First Impressions time:

After only one sacrificial brew and an actual brew that kinda went southward, I still got a 2 ouncer that really got the flavor out of the Costa Rica that I could only enjoy mildly as a pour-over. The thing made sputters instead of one big release so I'm thinking that a coarser grind is in order. Nevertheless, this thing still performed beyond my expectations. In addition, the small size of this thing as well as the convenience factor of my new CM45 grinder means that I could do stuff faster now compared to before when I was using a monstrous 6cup moka and a poorly-designed CM50. 2 seperate brews for me and my dad were easily done in quick succession.

This thing gets 2 big thumbs up from me. The only question now is how much punishment from me can this thing endure. :D

Do what you love to do and give it your very best
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 7:35am

RaptorHornet Said:

FINALLY got my own 2cup after like what?  A year? Haha! XD

Posted November 2, 2012 link

w00t! Congratulations!
Better late than never.

The only question now is how much punishment from me can this thing endure. :D

Quite a lot, actually. Apart from breaking the handle (which isnít easy to do), the worst you can do is burn a gasket, which is easily fixed.

Alex
showing page 157 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.421449899673)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+