Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
All my aeropress tastes the same
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > All my aeropress...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
tcc1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 11:41am
Subject: All my aeropress tastes the same

Hi guys,

Aeropress - supposed to be the mecca of non-espresso coffee.  I just got a fresh batch from RedBird and put it through my grinder.  I swear no matter what I do with the aeropress, the end product always tastes the exact same.  What's the deal, any tips?

tcc
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:12pm
Subject: Re: All my aeropress tastes the same

What's your brew method? Tell us more.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:14pm

A first guess (based on no details whatsoever): water temperature.  If you follow the temps suggested by the instructions, you'd be using 175F water.  Finer flavors are brought out by higher temps.  I think Aerobie chose low temps because most home coffee grounds are so bad at higher temps.  If you're using low temps, bring it higher.

Donald Varona
tcc1

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 1:14pm

Hi Guys,

2 scoops of beans grounds slightly more finely than what I use for drip (around setting 16-18 on my neutrally calibrated Bartaza Virtuoso, usually 20 for drip) for an 8-10 oz cup.  Slowly pouring in water that is indeed cooled for a few minutes off the boil, I stir for about 20-30 seconds.  I then squeeze through gently, usually takes about 1-1.5 minutes to get all the water through.  Then add water and some milk and drink.. always tastes the same.  I'll try the hot water bit next
tcc1

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 1:26pm

Not sure if this is a good measure, makes about a 2.5cm dry puck post-pressing for 2 scoops --> 8 oz cup
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 6:37am

That seems like a lot of coffee for the cup size you are using - I work at around 60g/litre of water - about 1.5-2 flat standard coffee scoops of whole beans (not the deeper Aeropress scoop) to a full Aeropress, which gives about 10mm of grounds after pressing, and grind at the same setting I use for drip.  If this is yielding an acceptable strength coffee for you, then I'd say that your water is too cool.  I usually use water about 30s after full boil on the electric kettle here at my office (with 0.5 to 1l in the kettle), which I've measured to give 92-94C in the press.  If I was being picky, then I'd measure weights every time, and measure the strike temperature of the water, and the temperature in the press, but there's a range around here that seems to be sweet spot for my inverted technique, and I don't need to be _too_ precise.

I add water, stir, steep for 1.5 to 2 minutes inverted and covered with the cap/filter, then press over 30seconds.  I don't need to add water to fill my ~8 oz cup with that recipe, and that gives a fairly rich cup.  Adding a little water is still a good strength.  This gives a very big variation between e.g. my home roasted Yirgacheffe, Barismo's La Loma, etc.

It might also be that if you're using espresso blends exclusively that there isn't so much variation between them, at least compared to an SO Yirgacheffe vs. SO Sumatran!
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 7:33am
Subject: ...

derevaun
derevaun

Espresso: Shoes and wallet
Grinder: Hario Mini, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Clever, BCM4
Roaster: My neighbor's Diedrich
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 12:56am

You might want to experiment with stirring time and total immersion time, keeping heat constant (like, always right off boil).
tcc1

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 2:57pm

AHA.  Now we're getting somewhere.  Measured out 25 grams or so, clicked a notch down on the grinder and did a 60 second immersion time.  One question came up: by the time I was done stirring, roughly 50% of the water had already gone through, that's okay right?

And another question: right when I pour the water off the boil, there seems to be water stacking on top of beans and not mixing in evenly.  Therefore, less water, I think, might be going in than if I stired the whole mixture.  Which is correct? Pour water until the 2 just on top of the ground beans or pour/mix and then allow it to settle at a "true" 2 for an 8 oz cup?

Thanks for all your help,
M
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 6:44pm

With the press the right way up, it's best to get the water in, stir once and get the plunger into the top of the tube as fast as possible to stop the drip through.  You can then wait until time is up before pressing through the filter.  The plunger will keep the liquid in place until you press.

One easier way to do long steep times is to switch to inverted brewing - place the plunger top down on the counter, slot the tube over the top, slide it to the total volume you want to use, and add coffee and then water.  Stir, cover the top with the filter and cap and wait for the immersion time.  Then comes the tricky operation of holding the mug on top and turning over the whole assembly.  This isn't too hard, but plan the move before you do it, including which arm goes over the other... ;)  There's plenty of info on inverted brewing out there.

Right when you pour, the bottom of the grounds does stay dry unless you are pouring from a great height.  A very quick stir should be enough to wet them all and show you the volume.  You can be a bit off, and add a little water to the cup after without affecting taste too much.  Just be consistent, and you should find a sweet spot.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > All my aeropress...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251977205276)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+