Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Technivorm KGBT741 or other suggestions ?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 1:00pm
Subject: Re: Technivorm KGBT741 or other suggestions ?

Just for the record, the BraZen will brew four 10 ounce cups of finished brewed coffee by slightly overfilling the reservoir -- maybe 43 or 44 ounces of water.

I initially rejected the BraZen because I didn't think the capacity was enough -- I was used to 12 cup brewers. I'm glad I rethought that restriction. But, honestly, it's been a better size with a lot less stale coffee. I've actually been brewing two 12 ounce mugs, 24 ounces of finished coffee, and brewing fresh if I need more later in the day.

I think the 8 cup issue would only be a problem if you were brewing for four people. Even for a dinner party, you could serve eight 5 ounce cups of coffee while brewing a second pot. Get a second carafe if necessary. You could get a Brazen and a Nissan Thermos carafe for less money than the Technivorm.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 1:46pm

We have seen similar questions in the past concerning other coffee-brewing devices. Everyone has their own priorities, and they can vary widely. if nothing else, it supplies fodder for humorous replies..  :-O

I am sure that there are plenty of brews out there that meet your volume requirements. For a majority of folks here, the taste of the coffee takes priority. next might come space requirements. After that it is SAF (Spousal Approval Factor). There are other factors, but if it is taste that comes first, there is nothing to compare to the Brazen.

If you need the volume to fill a morning thermos and are always in a hurry to do so, then you might need to look elsewhere. If it is for entertaining, you could order a second filter basket. Brew first batch into carafe. While brewing, grind and load second basket. When done, pour first batch into a separate serving carafe, refill reservoir, switch baskets, and begin second brew.

If you are really interested in a Technivorm, wait. The Brazen is quite new, but as word gets out and it receives SCAA certification (which I am sure it will), you should be able to pick up a used Technivorm at a good price. On the other hand, you could buy two Brazens...   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 4:05pm

Yes Eric, The Bonavita is a good choice, I'm not familiar with the Bristro. How about a 50 ounce Chemex and
one of these:

oldgearhead: $(KGrHqF,!o8F!YCD3ssIBQVK,OrJyQ~~60_35.jpg
(Click for larger image)
garyhow

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 5:58pm

popcorn1 Said:

So Craig & Gary you thing the Behmor Brazen is the way to go over the Technivorm ? Roastmasters is the source you would recommend purchasing it from ?

Posted October 5, 2012 link

All I can say is I'm really satisfied with the Brazen... I typically don't go out of my way to endorse products. I generally assume that if I pay top dollar for a product and my research of that product coupled with decent reviews from others pans out, then I'm going to be satisfied...

With the Brazen, I was actually surprised at the difference in the taste differences between the Technivorm and the Brazen's coffees. The Bazen won...
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 7:03pm

oldgearhead Said:

Yes Eric, The Bonavita is a good choice, I'm not familiar with the Bristro. How about a 50 ounce Chemex and
one of these:

Looks like a winning combination to me.

The Bodum is a neat design exercise - it uses the same gold filter their discontinued manual pour over used. The heating coil is copper and looks similar to the Technivorm coil. It makes a good cup of coffee too.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Eiron
Eiron
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 9:32am

CraigA Said:

... Coffeegeek members here are selling off their Technivorms & buying the BraZen ...

Maybe we should ammend this to read, "Some members here are selling off their Technivorms & buying the BraZen ..." ??

;-)

I, for one, have absolutely no intention of selling my TechniVorm to buy a BraZen!

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 9:48am

Eiron Said:

Maybe we should ammend this to read, "Some members here are selling off their Technivorms & buying the BraZen ..."??

;-)

True enough Gregory, & I just ammended my post.

Eiron Said:

I, for one, have absolutely no intention of selling my TechniVorm to buy a BraZen!

If you have the chance to try one out or see it in action, you may just change your mind.. The cup it produces is OUTSTANDING & that's what it's all about in my book. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
infinus

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:00pm

I have both.... the Technivorm has been my brewer of choice for the last few years. The Brazen has now replaced it. I just like it better overall. The cup's produced are fairly close, the Brazen in my opinion is a little better. I had to manually attend the Technivorm however, stir it, etc.... The Brazen is fully programmed to do what I want and it does it well.

I am not however selling my Technivorm........ never hurts to have a second highly capable brewer.
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:57pm

I also recently picked up the Behmor Brazen brewer and am loving it.  I've been brewing 900 ml batches for four coffee drinkers in the morning and I like the ability to program the pre-soak (extend it for fresh home-roast to prevent the bloom from getting out of control) and the brew temp.  I even tried out a nice iced coffee recipe this weekend.  This replaces my old Bunn BTX brewer and with the included gold coffee filter I feel I'm getting coffee quality comparable to pour-over with a Chemex and Kone filter.  It really brings out the aroma and subtle flavors in great coffees.

If you have your heart set on the Technivorm, I did just learn that the Tehnivorm KBT-741 is now available from Costco for a good price here.

You can read more about my thoughts on the Brazen on my Wordpress blog.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 1:04pm

count me in as another satisfied Gort owner(brazen).  As far as i know, there is nothing on the market that can touch it in regards to features that actually improve the quality of the cup for the price.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316354990005)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+