Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
I Need Basic Grinder to Pair with Brazen
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I Need Basic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
JavaGator

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 4:45am
Subject: I Need Basic Grinder to Pair with Brazen

I am currently using one of those Magic Bullet grinders.  It's an all purpose grinder and while it can grind the beans it creates a very uneven grind.  I only use the Brazen so I don't need a commercial quality grinder for multiple grinds.  What low to mid price grinder ($75 to $125) will produce the most consistent grind for the Brazen?  Looking for simplicity and low maintenance.  Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 5:32am
Subject: Re: I Need Basic Grinder to Pair with Brazen

Baratza Encore, Bullet is great for food type stuff but not beans
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 7:58am

Encore would be my firs recommendation as well, but it's just outside your range.  you can also keep an eye out for a refurb on the Baratza website.

No personal experience, but a Capresso Infinity would be a fair consideration and within your range.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 8:34am

The Bodum Bistro is pretty much on a par with the Infinity, but costs a bit more I think.  But you might consider it for other reasons, although it's getting quite close in price to the Encore.
JavaGator

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 9:13am

The encore looks good. I was looking for a grinder that I could just place the gold
filter under to fill and not use a separate container. Is that practical or too messy?
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 9:39am

JavaGator Said:

The encore looks good. I was looking for a grinder that I could just place the gold
filter under to fill and not use a separate container. Is that practical or too messy?

Posted October 9, 2012 link

Off the top of my head I can't think of a non-commercial grinder that will do that.  But FWIW, it's not really a big issue; just dump the bin into the basket.  Probably be a little cleaner with the bin as well.
kschendel

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 10:30am

If you aren't grinding huge amounts, you might consider a hand grinder as well.  One of the Japanese grinders with ceramic burrs would probably do fine.  (Kyocera, Porlex, Hario Skerton ... check out orphanespresso.com for instance.)  Figure 30-60 seconds of grinding for one pot.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:57pm

kschendel Said:

If you aren't grinding huge amounts, you might consider a hand grinder as well.  One of the Japanese grinders with ceramic burrs would probably do fine.  (Kyocera, Porlex, Hario Skerton ... check out orphanespresso.com for instance.)  Figure 30-60 seconds of grinding for one pot.

...this is not true.  

grinding 56gram batches in the Skerton...was hell.  i would get tired and have to take at least 2-3 breaks.  Try several minutes, not 30-60 seconds.

i just picked up a motorized grinder because i could not stand using the skerton for the brazen any longer.
garyhow

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:59pm

Hi Jim,

I have a Bartza Virtuoso grinder listed in the Buy / Sell Forum for $125 plus $20 shipping… I might have the original box to go with it… I'll have to look in the attic….

I've used the grinder regularly for about 3 years and it still works fine…. I purchased an upgraded grinder when I purchased the Brazen, but I would have no problem using the Baratza with it...

Shipping probably shouldn't really cost more than $15 but I'll ship for $135 total if you're interested….

I have posted a photo of the grinder in the listing… The listing is under the ID of garyhow...

804-512-1130
Gary Howerton
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Forte, Lelit PL53, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 3:50pm

frank828 Said:

grinding 56gram batches in the Skerton...was hell.  i would get tired and have to take at least 2-3 breaks.  Try several minutes, not 30-60 seconds.

i just picked up a motorized grinder because i could not stand using the skerton for the brazen any longer.

I've tightened a drill onto my Skerton a number of times for larger batches. Not necessarily a practical solution, but a solution nonetheless ;)

But yes, otherwise +1 on getting something motorized.

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I Need Basic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30340886116)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+