Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 64 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gilrain

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Broken Brazen
Roaster: Whirly-Pop
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:36pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

Well, I haven't actually made a pot where the bloom hasn't touched the shower head, requiring it be cleaned after each brew. However, since adopting the warm pre-soak, the bloom hasn't actually overflowed out of the basket, which is good. I'm hoping that after tweaking the pre-soak a little more, I can also avoid the bloom dirtying the shower head each time.

It hasn't been as easy as I expected, but you're right to point out that this is actually my first auto-drip experience. I realize it's not exactly fair to compare the Brazen with a highly manual process like a vac pot!

Joe: thanks for the advice. However, the issue isn't the volume of liquid overflowing, it's only the bloom itself. If you get a chance, do look over infinus' technique on page 57. It's worked a charm for me, even with a relatively fine grind, and it may be worth putting in the tips section of your website. By the way, Murray is in the far western corner of KY. Amusingly, I am actually originally from San Diego. Always nice to support a local innovator!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:38pm

Brewing 900 ml pots, I haven't run into a bloom issue with the Brazen, but this weekend I ran into a bloom issue with my vac pot and had to fall back on the Brazen for morning coffee.  I blame the Brazen for this since I've gotten out of practice with using my siphon on the weekends.

I also recently upped my brew temp from 204F to 205F which resulted in a sweeter brew with the Chromatic Coffee  El Salvador La Joya Tonita I've been brewing lately.

yakster: IMG_20121118_091446 (Small).jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 7:19pm

Gilrain,

Glad that technique is working for you. I've stepped up to 10-12 seconds of water released at about 130 for my presoak. It's been working pretty well for me.

I think the ideal solution is to increase the height of the brew chamber. While the current implementation is good for most, I think home roasters will eventually have a bloom that hits the shower head. I suspect that based on elevation and water chemistry that it's worse for some than others. My most recent coffee is a Kenyan that hits the shower head unitl I hit 4 days post roast.

If the height of the basket isn't increased I hope Joe can integrate this lower temp technique into the programming.

If you want to conduct an expirement or two and observe your bloom you can pull the rubber plug out of the bottom of the bree basket. Then set the brew basket right on top of the brew pot (without the lid on the pot). It'll sit nice and level under the shower head and give you not onlu extra space to the shower head but also let you see what's going on. It's interesting to do a pot or two this way just to help dial in a technique.
 View Profile Link to this post
BeauGoldly

Grinder: Mr. Coffee
Vac Pot: Yama Coffee Siphon
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: 1400 Watt Corn Popper Mod
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 7:32pm

I've read through the previous posts, but have never seen an answer: how many runs of joe does it take to get rid of the horrid plastic smell it imparts to my coffee? I've rinsed, washed, dried, etc. numerous times. That awful smell is still there.

It works flawlessly. Just tastes flawed.

Suggestions...?

Thanks!
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 8:45pm

BeauGoldly Said:

I've read through the previous posts, but have never seen an answer: how many runs of joe does it take to get rid of the horrid plastic smell it imparts to my coffee? I've rinsed, washed, dried, etc. numerous times. That awful smell is still there.

It works flawlessly. Just tastes flawed.

Suggestions...?

Thanks!

Posted November 19, 2012 link

You don't say how long you've had the Brazen.   I ran about 5 full pots of water and one pot of coffee through mine on the first day and was still getting the very strong plastic smell and taste.  So I washed all the removable plastic parts in hot soapy water and let them air dry overnight.  The next morning I made a pot of coffee and there was absolutely no plastic smell or taste.  I've used it daily for over 2 weeks and have tasted nothing but coffee after day one.
CaptainJack
CaptainJack

Espresso: Espressione Cafe Retro
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Aero Press
Drip: Capresso MT600
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 7:27pm

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but I'm curious if anyone has found a paper filiter
that fits properly in the Brazen?
I havn't got mine yet(christmas gift), but wanted to get the filiters lined up. The Melitta Basket
Filiter sounds like it will fit, but was curious if anyone has tried one yet.
Thanks for any info,
Jack

Behmor 1600
Baratza Virtuoso
Aero Press
Capresso MT600
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 7:35pm

Costco ones are perfect
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 8:14pm

CaptainJack Said:

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but I'm curious if anyone has found a paper filiter
that fits properly in the Brazen?
I havn't got mine yet(christmas gift), but wanted to get the filiters lined up. The Melitta Basket
Filiter sounds like it will fit, but was curious if anyone has tried one yet.
Thanks for any info,
Jack

Posted November 25, 2012 link

I'm using the standard Melitta 8-12 cup basket filters in my Brazen and they fit perfectly.
CaptainJack
CaptainJack

Espresso: Espressione Cafe Retro
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Aero Press
Drip: Capresso MT600
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:50am

cafedj Said:

I'm using the standard Melitta 8-12 cup basket filters in my Brazen and they fit perfectly.

Posted November 25, 2012 link

Thanks cafedj, those are the ones I thought would work, but was hoping someone had tried them to make sure.

Behmor 1600
Baratza Virtuoso
Aero Press
Capresso MT600
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:37am

Hi Jack, I tried them & said they worked also., but there's so many posts here it gets tiresome or hard to find stuff..

Here: "Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)" Actually I didn't say anything about them. If they didn't work though, I would of posted that.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 64 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313108205795)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+