Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
I Need Basic Grinder to Pair with Brazen
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I Need Basic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:47pm
Subject: Re: I Need Basic Grinder to Pair with Brazen

I'm very happy with my Baratza grinder. Grinding into the plastic bin supplied with it has one big advantage: the plastic is treated with magic anti-static coating, so the grinds dump out of it easily. These coffee grinders generate massive amounts of static electricity and can make a real mess if the container is not anti-static. Grinding directly into the gold filter might even be more of a mess.

The other plus to the Baratza is that you can always add their Esatto accessory to turn the grinder into a real time gram grinder. Preset "x" number of grams, hit start, and it grinds that amount. They do have some refurb Esattos.

Click Here (www.baratza.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
infinus

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 5:51am

+1 on the Baratza. Get one through their refurb store. From what I've seen their customer support is pretty good too.
kschendel

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:31pm

frank828 Said:

grinding 56gram batches in the Skerton...was hell.  i would get tired and have to take at least 2-3 breaks.  Try several minutes, not 30-60 seconds.

Posted October 9, 2012 link

Well, OK, I haven't used the Skerton.  I have a Kyocera and I can grind a completely full to the brim city+ bean load in under a minute very easily.  I haven't weighed it but I am guessing that it's around 50-60 grams.

Of course, the Skerton might have slower burrs, we might be using different fineness settings, I might just be faster, who knows.  In any case, since you already know that the hand grinder is not for you, that takes care of that.
Intrepid510

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 12:09pm

Go with the Baratza Encore, it's right in your range.

I like the Baratza grinders more than the Capresso that I had for a while, for two reasons 40 Macro steps compared to I believe 16 on the Capresso, and must less grind retention. For the Capresso Infinity I had to hold pick it up and pat it few times to get all the grinds out of the chamber otherwise I would have nasty stale coffee for the next batch.

Less water, more grounds.
JavaGator

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 3:21pm

Ok don't laugh at me, but I found this Mr Coffee burr grinder for $38.  Now I know it is a relative piece of junk, but I must say I just made a pot of this Willouby House blend that I got from Roastmaster when i purchased the Brazen.  I have had this blend for the last few days using my Magic Bullet grinder.  This pot with the Mr Coffee burr grinder tastes completely different.  My best description is that it is so much smoother.  I used the middle drip grind setting, I brewed at 198 with a 1:30 pre-soak..  This seems like a good burr grinder for a novice.  We'll see how long it holds up.  If I need to be expelled for getting this grinder. please let me know.
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 3:34pm

JavaGator Said:

Ok don't laugh at me, but I found this Mr Coffee burr grinder for $38.

Posted October 11, 2012 link

Is it okay if we giggle?

Seriously, if it works for you, that's great.

What I would suggest at some point is that you find a local Coffee Geek with a really good drip grinder, and offer to show him yours (Brazen), if he'll show you his (grinder). Get together and brew two pots of the same coffee, same Brazen settings, one ground in your grinder and the other ground in his. Then make up your mind if a further upgrade is something you want.
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 4:07pm

GVDub Said:

Is it okay if we giggle?

Nuts to that, I'm pointing and laughing!!

**points and laughs at JavaGator**

Ok, now that I got that out of my system.......  Hey, I kid I kid :D

JavaGator Said:

Ok don't laugh at me, but I found this Mr Coffee burr grinder for $38.  Now I know it is a relative piece of junk, but I must say I just made a pot of this Willouby House blend that I got from Roastmaster when i purchased the Brazen.  I have had this blend for the last few days using my Magic Bullet grinder.  This pot with the Mr Coffee burr grinder tastes completely different.  My best description is that it is so much smoother.  I used the middle drip grind setting, I brewed at 198 with a 1:30 pre-soak..  This seems like a good burr grinder for a novice.  We'll see how long it holds up.  If I need to be expelled for getting this grinder. please let me know.

Seriously, we've all taken different journeys here and we've all come to different points.  If this grinder suits you then don't let someone else tell you that it doesn't.  What's in the cup is what matters and if you like what's in the cup then no one will argue that.  Plain and simple.

But I would like to add something. Cheaper burr grinders often won't offer much better grind quality than a blade grinder and in some cases it will actually be worse.  The burr material, precision, ability to hold the correct burr distance, durability, etc just isn't there.  I decent burr grinder will have hardened steel with sharp cutting edges on them.  The idea is to actual cut the beans and the distance between the burrs needs to be consistent so to ensure cosnistent grind size.  The cheaper grinders don't have the same quality burrs nor can the burrs keep the same tolerance of spacing; the beans end up get mashed rather than cut.  Does that make sense?  

GVDub's suggestion is good; hopefully you can find someone to show you the difference in the grind and in the cup.  The difference you saw between the magic bullet and the Mr Coffee, you'll see that much difference (and likely more) between the Mr Coffee and a more suitable grinder (Baratza line for example).
JavaGator

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 4:17pm

I think as I get more astute and venture into various beans, Im sure I will desire a better burr grinder.  I looked at the burrs on the Mr Coffee and they are definitely cheap stamped metal.  One burr is fixed and the other spins.  I figured if I can experience some form of burr grinder for $38 it was a good place to start. I can eat the $38 if it doesn't last long, and even if it holds up I won't feel obligated not to buy a more expensive grinder.  My first grind looked pretty consistent from what my uneducated eyes can tell.   For certain the quality brewed in the cup was much better than the Magic Bullet blade grinder.  If it gets even better than that with a high quality grinder I would like to try the comparison mentioned to experiment.
AnotherRob

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: CCD, Behmor BraZen
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 6:30am

What grinder would you recomend for the BraZen if your budget is a bit higher, say $150 to $200?

Thanks, Rob.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 6:45am

AnotherRob Said:

What grinder would you recomend for the BraZen if your budget is a bit higher, say $150 to $200?

Thanks, Rob.

Posted October 12, 2012 link

Baratza Virtuoso cost just a little more than 200, as well as the Breville Smart Grinder is right around 200 but if you have a Bed Bath Beyond store near you, you can get their 20% off coupon and use it there.

The Encore though is way more than enough for coarse needs though, it won't do espresso really, but is consistant for coarse grinds.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I Need Basic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3201379776)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+