Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Fully automatic coffee machine that produces french press quality coffee?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Fully automatic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
captamerica

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 6:59pm
Subject: Fully automatic coffee machine that produces french press quality coffee?

Long story short, several years ago, I tasted the quality flavor and smoothness that french press coffee is. There is nothing else like it. Since that time, I have pretty much been a snob. A pressed coffee snob. I can barely drink anything else.

My boss showed me her super automatic Jura F7. That thing was sweet, and produced decent coffee. It was no coffee press, but coffee was pretty good, and even better, it did EVERYTHING for you. Coffee in less than a minute, and does all the work. Even the clean up.

So, I tried one for myself. I spent $700+ on a certified refurb. The thing was beautiful. And, everything worked wonderfully. Coffee in less than a minute. However, no matter what combination I tried (different beans, grind size, grind amount, water amount, etc), the coffee always came out sub par. Not only was it not pressed coffee flavor and smoothness, it wasn't even close. Even though I had fallen in love with this machine, with it unable to produce something close, I had to return it. This was a couple years ago.

Recently, I've really wanted to try something fully automatic like that. From start to finish, something that brews on demand, quickly, and cleans up. AND, has great flavor. I've not been able to find any great reviews, nor can I find any place that allows you to try coffee from these types of machines.

What I'd like to find out is whether there are any machines that are capable of producing really rich and flavorful coffee, something close to what pressed coffee tastes like. I know I will never get the exact same thing out of a machine since it is an entirely different brewing method, but trying to get closer than the Jura I tried before. Maybe I just had a bad machine, or maybe i'm getting too picky. Anyone have any suggestions?
 View Profile Link to this post
outrigger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 10:47pm
Subject: Re: Fully automatic coffee machine that produces french press quality coffee?

Click Here (www.bodum.com)
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 3:12am
Subject: Re: Fully automatic coffee machine that produces french press quality coffee?

Not fully automatic, but worth a close look.

"Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread"

Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 8:05am

So, Dan . . . keep in mind that a Jura is a super-auto espresso maker, and -- if you truly love espresso -- they fail miserably.

I'm not sure why one would pay the extra for an automated "French Press", when a "real" (manual) press is significantly less and (probably) does a much better job, but certainly the machine mentioned by outrigger is one option.

Then again, I've no doubt the Bunn Trifecta is a better, albeit more expensive, option.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 9:58am

Not trying to be rude...but I have a feeling that the only reason you feel like you're a "pressed coffee snob" is because you haven't ventured out and tried much else. There is a vast array of delicious coffee brewing options that, in my opinion, far surpass the French press.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:12am

EvanOz85 Said:

Not trying to be rude...but I have a feeling that the only reason you feel like you're a "pressed coffee snob" is because you haven't ventured out and tried much else.

Posted October 14, 2012 link

Amen!

captamerica

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 1:37pm

Fair enough. So, I've had pressed coffee, drip coffee (yuck), percolator coffee, and coffee generated through an expresso machine using pressure extraction (e.g. Jura). What other methods out there are there that are good/better? I've also never tried a vacuum pot
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 3:53pm

With all due respect . . .

First of all, if you say "yuck" to pourover (drip), then you haven't had properly-made pourover.  (On the other hand, if you had said "yuck" after the word percolator, I don't think anyone would argue.)  

Secondly:  a) the word is "espresso" (with an "s"); b) "Jura" is another word after which you could say "yuck," and very few would argue.

Third, a partial list of preparation methods for coffee would include (in alphabetical order):
  • campfire/"cowboy" coffee
  • Clover® (and similar automatic immersion/press)
  • cold brew
  • espresso (Note:  some maintain there is a distinct difference between a manual machine, and an espresso shot pulled with a semi-or full-auto; this doesn't even begin to get into the debate of how the taste is affected between flat and conical burr sets)
  • espresso (made by a super-automatic)
  • espresso (made using pods or other pre-packaged source)
  • French press
  • ice brew
  • instant (including those silly hybrid tea bags)
  • immersion (manual)
  • K-cups®
  • Moka pot (including so-called "steam toys")
  • Nespresso®
  • percolator
  • pourover (automatic drip)
  • pourover (manual drip)
  • siphon (also called "vacuum")
  • Toddy
  • Vietnamese-style drip
  • etc., etc., etc.

VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:00pm

captamerica Said:

Long story short, several years ago, I tasted the quality flavor and smoothness that french press coffee is. There is nothing else like it. Since that time, I have pretty much been a snob. A pressed coffee snob. I can barely drink anything else.

My boss showed me her super automatic Jura F7. That thing was sweet, and produced decent coffee. It was no coffee press, but coffee was pretty good, and even better, it did EVERYTHING for you. Coffee in less than a minute, and does all the work. Even the clean up.

So, I tried one for myself. I spent $700+ on a certified refurb. The thing was beautiful. And, everything worked wonderfully. Coffee in less than a minute. However, no matter what combination I tried (different beans, grind size, grind amount, water amount, etc), the coffee always came out sub par. Not only was it not pressed coffee flavor and smoothness, it wasn't even close. Even though I had fallen in love with this machine, with it unable to produce something close, I had to return it. This was a couple years ago.

Recently, I've really wanted to try something fully automatic like that. From start to finish, something that brews on demand, quickly, and cleans up. AND, has great flavor. I've not been able to find any great reviews, nor can I find any place that allows you to try coffee from these types of machines.

What I'd like to find out is whether there are any machines that are capable of producing really rich and flavorful coffee, something close to what pressed coffee tastes like. I know I will never get the exact same thing out of a machine since it is an entirely different brewing method, but trying to get closer than the Jura I tried before. Maybe I just had a bad machine, or maybe i'm getting too picky. Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted October 12, 2012 link

Ummm, I'm not trying to be rude, but (& with all due respect) welcome to CG!  It only gets better from here!  I've had good luck so far with the vacuum pot, but I kind of regret not going with something a little more convenient after a year of wiping messy/loose grind cleanups on a daily basis.  Not so bad that I resorted back to the auto dripper, but still-  I like your idea of FULLY automated.  Everything's a trade off though.  Maybe sacrifice a little convenience for something that will satisfy your snobbery!

Good luck!
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 5:34am

Let's stir in a bit of technical 'snobbery':

If you don't know the temperature of the water or the age of the 'bloom', you can't make drip coffee...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Fully automatic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.31352186203)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+