Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Brewing high quality coffee?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brewing high...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Ubermonster

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 7:59am
Subject: Brewing high quality coffee?

Hello all. New here. I just ordered some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. I have been drinking coffee for many years. And I love trying new coffees. That being said, the Blue Mountain is the most expensive stuff I have gone for. I ordered whole bean. I have a small grinder. My biggest question is, what is going to be my best method of brewing it? I have a standard drip coffee maker. I thought about ordering a French Press, but I understand that getting the proper ground consistency is tough. Any tips?
thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 8:47am
Subject: Re: Brewing high quality coffee?

Welcome to CG!  Just bear with me for a second or two . . .

Ubermonster Said:

I just ordered some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

Posted October 13, 2012 link

Why?

Ubermonster Said:

I have been drinking coffee for many years. And I love trying new coffees. That being said, the Blue Mountain is the most expensive stuff I have gone for.

Aside from Kopi Luwak, it's the most expensive coffee any of us ever order  -- generally speaking -- and who the f*** orders Kopi Luwak?!?!?!

Ubermonster Said:

I ordered whole bean.

Good Lord, I hope so.  See "Babbie's Rule of Fifteens".

Ubermonster Said:

I have a small grinder.

Good Lord, I hope so.  (Whoa, déja vu.)  ;^)  Care to be specific?  What kind of grinder?

Ubermonster Said:

My biggest question is, what is going to be my best method of brewing it?

The method you most prefer . . . or have handy, I suppose.

Ubermonster Said:

I have a standard drip coffee maker.

Again, care to be specific?  What kind/brand/size of brewer?

Ubermonster Said:

I thought about ordering a French Press, but I understand that getting the proper ground consistency is tough.

That's true for drip, press, siphon, espresso, and any other type of coffee preparation.  The grind is key!  Just for one example, take a look at "The 4 M's of Espresso"

Ubermonster Said:

Any tips?

Lots.

So, first, let me ask a very important question:  where did you buy the Jamaica Blue Mountain (JBM) beans?  The reason I ask is that JBM is one of the two most "problematic" coffees (the other being Kona) when it comes to being real, true, authentic . . . See  CoffeeGeek Search:  "Jamaica Blue Mountain".

Secondly, not all drip coffee makers are created equal -- some, quite frankly, do an excellent job, while others . . . well, not so much.  the same is true of grinders.  Thus, my question re: what sort of equipment you have.

Finally (for now), the few times I have had true JBM, I preferred it using an immersion brewer rather than, say, espresso, drip or press.  (I've heard it's great in a siphon, but have no personal experience with it that way.)  If you're unsure about an immersion brewer, take a look at this Clever Coffee Dripper.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Ubermonster

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 11:12am

1. I ordered JBM because I wanted to try something on the higher end. I have always enjoyed tipping into pricey category, although like my other hobbies. I realize that is not always necessary.

2. Grinder is a Hamilton Beach grinder that has two blades.

3. Coffee maker is just a Black and Decker model. Not sure on its specifics. It does seem to run the water pretty slowly which I understand can be desireable in drip coffee makers.

4. I purchased the JBM right from http://www.bluemountaincoffee.com/ . I was looking at some at world market, and lol, it was just a blend.

5. Thanks for all the help so far. Hopefully I am on the right course.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 11:42am

Well, take this with a grain of salt . . .

Your blade grinder should be replaced ASAP with a burr grinder.  Blade "choppers" do not grind the beans, and result invery uneven bits and pieces . . . and this is true whether you're using JMB or something far more "common."

You should also think about replacing your Black & Decker with something better.  This, too, is true regardless of the coffee you use.  If you are at all "serious" about your coffee, look at something like the Bonavita coffee brewer, or brewer of similar (or better) quality.  

Your coffee will dramatically improve in taste and quality if you do these two things -- regardless of what beans you use (as long as they are freshly roasted, freshly ground).

But for the JMB, I'd still use the Clever Coffee Dripper . . .

VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 3:18pm

Ubermonster Said:

Black & Decker

Congrats on having selected the BEST value from the #1 brand in kitchen electronics, as per NPD consumer Tracking Service, units sold, 2006-2010, 12M ending Sept. 2010.

Ubermonster Said:

Grinder is a Hamilton Beach grinder that has two blades.

I would challenge anyone to find a more effective whirly bird, anywhere, than the H.B. Again, you made a wise choice. Now, you came to the right place if you want an even higher quality coffee experience, with your prize beans incoming, because these guys have never steered me wrong.  So personally i can safely recommend a vac pot & the baratza 586, it's a solid combo.  And it's looking like the go-to brewer recommendation lately is the BehMor BraZen.  I've no experience with it, but it's obviously the wave of the future.  So get on board, or get out!  

Good luck & welcome to the CGF!
Ubermonster

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 9:23am

Thanks. So the Bonavita would be a good brewer to take the plunge into the more serious side? Thanks for tips so far all.

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Well, take this with a grain of salt . . .

Your blade grinder should be replaced ASAP with a burr grinder.  Blade "choppers" do not grind the beans, and result invery uneven bits and pieces . . . and this is true whether you're using JMB or something far more "common."

You should also think about replacing your Black & Decker with something better.  This, too, is true regardless of the coffee you use.  If you are at all "serious" about your coffee, look at something like the Bonavita coffee brewer, or brewer of similar (or better) quality.  

Your coffee will dramatically improve in taste and quality if you do these two things -- regardless of what beans you use (as long as they are freshly roasted, freshly ground).

But for the JMB, I'd still use the Clever Coffee Dripper . . .

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 10:43am

OK, realize first that I'm crazy -- or rather, while not as obsessed as some, I am a coffee geek.  I have a commercial espresso machine at home, and a "presume" machine in my office (where I couldn't plumb it directly into the water supply).  When I do brew coffee, as in pourover, I have a Chemex when I'm making a pot, and the aforementioned Clever Coffee Dripper, which I use for brewing one mug at a time.

BUT . . .

Were I not "into" espresso as much, and focused my attention on pourover (drip) coffee as my main and preferred method of preparation, I would definitely want an SCAA Certified Brewer.  My heart wold want the Technivorm, but I'd probably get the Bonavita -- hard to justify the price differential when both are certified brewers.

As far as the grinder goes, I personally think your "best bang for the buck" lies in Baratza.  Were I only making drip, I'd probably get their Encore; if, however, I thought I might be getting into espresso sometime within, say, the next five years, I'd get the Preciso.  (FWIW, I have  their Vario -- see pic below; it's the grinder on the right.)

JasonBrandtLewis: IMG_0899.jpg
(Click for larger image)

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Brewing high...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3855509758)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+