Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 57 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 11:58am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

tahoejoe Said:

Rob.. spoke with Barry from Roastmasters / Willoughbys Coffee here is what he offered:

"As to temp I think the higher the temp the more of everything that is extracted - positive and negative qualities. There are so many different decafs that it makes no sense to generalize. A cleanly prepared water decaffeinated Sumatra would have different guidelines then some chemically processed brazil. In other words no rule of thumb that I see".

Posted October 18, 2012 link

Thanks Joe. I have had some time to play and well I just taste decaf. I believe this is something I will have to start with the roast and work it from the ground up with cupping to get my taste buds on track with what improves the cup before I worry to much about exact brewing technique. I have been following Tom at Sweet Maria's work of trying to get better beans for sending out for water processing, I will keep high hopes that this will improve decaf and that I can roast it proper.
 View Profile Link to this post
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 12:31pm

I have been brewing a lot of pots with 24 ounces of water, which produce about 21 - 22 ounces of coffee. Seems to be fine, using the same ratio of grounds to water as I use for 30 ounce, 36 ounce, or 40 ounce pots.

I've also brewed some 16 ounce pots, using two paper filters to slow the drip a little bit. I did some crude tests of water flow through the basket -- empty basket (no coffee), dump in 10 ounces of water, and time how long it takes to drip out. Not very scientific and I wasn't looking for extreme precision. There didn't seem to be much difference in flow rates between the gold filter and a single paper filter. Double paper filters slowed it down a little bit, but I wouldn't want to do that for anything but fairly small pots or you'll run into overflow problems.

BTW, the Brazen filter (paper or gold) dripped slower than any cone filter combo I tested -- Melitta with paper, Melitta with gold, or Hario with paper. It brewed stronger coffee with 16 ounces of water than the HARIO cone/paper filter and the same amount of grounds. That surprised me a little because I thought the cone might have an advantage for small batches. That's when I ran the crude water flow tests and found out that the Brazen flat filter actually flowed a little slower than the cone.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 3:36pm

Joe,

Are you planning to show the BraZen at Kevin's CoffeeCon 2013, this May 4th? I think it would be the perfect place to showcase the BraZen. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 5:23am

Well, another week of brewing on the Brazen under the belt.....

I THOUGHT I had kicked my bloom issue by grinding first, and then filling the resevoir and hitting start (hence, giving the beans 5-6 minutes of time post grind to decompress)........ Not so. Ends up my problems went away because I had switched bean origin! I think that the Brazen handles the bloom out of most coffees just fine. What I've discovered is a constant issue is Ethiopians! I have a few different ones that I've gotten from Sweet Maria's recently and when I switched back to one for this week, bam, problem returned. Over flowing the basket, hitting the brew head, etc....

At this point, I think ideally I do wish the Brazen had a taller brew basket to simply accomodate for it. If the goal is a 100% hands off brewing experience I don't think there's enough space for handle ALL coffee's. I've had these Ethiopians go over the basket even a week past the roast date! All the Brazen needs is another half inch to inch of vertical space.

On a positive note however I do believe I've found a great way to deal with it. I stole an idea from Netphilosopher....... COLD presoaking.

Before, on a normal brew, I'd load the beans, fill the resevoir, hit start (2 minute presoak programmed) and it'd overflow. So my expirement was:

Load the fresh ground beans in the basket, fill the resevoir with water, do a 5 second pre-release of cold water in the basket and then hit start on the brew cycle. I have the minimum 15 second "presoak" programmed in (so effectively no hot presoak) and don't even come close to overflowing when I do this.

Sampled them side by side and got a bit less bitterness and astrigency out of the cold presoak method! This has me pretty excited actually. Netphilospher hypothosized that a cold pre-soak will expunge the CO2 while not starting the extraction process since the temp is too low. At the same time, since the soak water volume (5 seconds = about 50ml) is so low, it doesn't really affect final brew temp.

I'm going to go with this method for the next several batches and see how it goes but I'm pretty optimistic at this point. When I did my experimental brew I pulled out the basket to observe the bloom once the hot water first hit and it was cut by over 50% from a normal cycle. This means the beans are getting hit by more hot water sooner, and the total hot brew time is shorter vs a long 2 minute hot presoak.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 6:19am
Subject: ...

tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 9:36am

redkiosk Said:

Joe,

Are you planning to show the BraZen at Kevin's CoffeeCon 2013, this May 4th? I think it would be the perfect place to showcase the BraZen. Take care!

Jim

Posted October 28, 2012 link

Kevin and I haven't discussed it yet. I'm in Boston at the SCAA in April, late May in Melbourne so I guess I'll need to check into that next..

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 7:52am

I've tuned my cold soak technique over the week and have a method I really like now. I hit manual release -> start on the brazen, and then go about preparing my coffee grounds and basket. Once the basket is under the dispersion head I release about 8 second of water into the basket once the resevoir hits 120 degrees, then hit start and allow the brew cycle to complete normally (the minimum 15 second presoak programmed in, so effectively no presoak).

Today as an expirement I tried this on 30 minute post roast ethiopian (a origin that has given me endless bloom issues) and I had NO over flow on the basket. The cool (120) presoak produces a very slow moving bloom in the basket that dissipates a lot of the CO2, and since the temp is low, no bitterness comes from the slightly longer pre-soak as the rest of the water gets to 201.

This method is near no extra effort. So I think my feedback to Joe would be........ add in a program option to let us choose a pre-soak temp! :-)

It's a simple change to the software that would help the few of us with bloom issues get past it.

To go the extra mile, maybe make the pre-soak release time be programmable (ie: 8 second, 10 second, 15 second of water released).
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 8:16am

Is there any way to update the firmware?  If not, adding a USB port to Brazen 2.0 would be great.  Be a shame to have to buy a new machine for some relatively simple SW enhancement.

My Brazen is on the Fedex truck to be delivered today.  Looking forward to a new coffee adventure...
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 9:50am

Received my Brazen and so far it's exceeding my expectations, which were very high.

One comment regarding the "skunky plastic" smell mentioned above.  After about 5 full pot water only cycles after unboxing I was also still smelling a very strong and unpleasant plastic odor in the carafe and the brew basket.  My first pot of coffee on day 1 was undrinkable, and the plastic taste persisted in my mouth for several hours.  I decided to try simply airing it out, so for a second time I washed all removable parts with hot soapy water, and spread them out to dry overnight.  Next morning I made a pot of coffee and to my delight there was no plastic smell or taste at all.  Been brewing 1-2 pots per day since and no hint of plastic.  I've also been leaving the brew basket and carafe top in the dish drainer, and turning the reservoir top upside down to allow any possible residual plastic aromatics to evaporate.

End result is my coffee life has been re-invigorated.  Still numerous test adjustments to try but it seems clear already this is an exceptional, and game-changing brewer.
spyglassweb

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 5:52am

My BraZen has stopped brewing. The water does not heat and I am seeing an E0 error on the display. The manual doesn't mention this error. I have contacted tech support, but wanted to see if anyone else had been having issues and may know how to resolve.

April
showing page 57 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296712875366)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+