Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Keurig - any insight on how they work?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Keurig - any...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 9:10pm
Subject: Re: Keurig - any insight on how they work?

Steve, seems I've found this thread a bit late--better than never!

Wearing another hat as a moderator over at www.singleservecoffeeforums.com (not a secret here, but still worth disclosing), I've had a chance to weigh many a k-cup. Here's a breakdown of what I've found, generally speaking, in case it might be useful; NB: the weights below are pre-brew averages with 4 grams subtracted for packaging (I admit I could have been more precise here instead of rounding to the nearest gram):

Typical k-cups: 9 grams
Extra bold k-cups: 11 grams
Rogers OneCups: 11 grams
Starbucks k-cups: 12-13 grams
"Travel mug" k-cups: 13 grams
Barista Prima k-cups: 14 grams
revv: 14 grams
"Brew Over Ice" k-cups: 14 grams

So I gather you're using your refractometer to test k-cup brew strength? I'm curious to see more of that, especially with the beefier k-cups. About those, from the "Starbucks" level on up they all contain small plastic discs supporting the filters. The discs make a negligible contribution to packaging weight, in my experience.

Not all k-cups contain dark-roasted coffee; get thee a light or medium roast, man!

Also, in case you aren't aware, Keurig has a newer machine out called the Vue that brews hotter (up to 197 degrees F) and has a "strong" setting with pulsed brewing that extends the water-coffee contact time.
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 1:43pm
Subject: .

acorn54
acorn54
Expertise: Aficionado

Espresso: krups gusto
Grinder: solis mulino. zassenhaus
Drip: kitchen aid ultra compact
Roaster: poppery ii. hw gourmet
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 12:53pm

i think if you look at the wattage of one of those pod coffee makers you will see they are 500 watts or something. no way is the water temperature to brew the coffee grinds going to get hot enough for proper coffee extraction.
the pod idea is just a gimmick to get consumers to pay more for a home made cup of coffee. i make coffee at home with my trusty kitchenaide 4- cup for 15 cents a cup using  $8.80/lb jamaican blue mountain blend.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 5:27am

Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 5:01am

msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 2:44pm

Our daughter and SIL have a Keurig type brewer, as do most their friends. They're young working parents, mornings are always a BIG hurry. I don't think they actually know what REAL coffee tastes like---didn't drink the stuff till a couple yrs ago, always rushed and just looking for hot caffeine.

Netphilosopher...  agree. Stuck at their house w/o my coffee set-up, I tried their brewer but only at the 6oz cup AND using their SoloFill with their preferred DD preground----too weak, under-extracted, barely detectable coffee flavor. Of course too little contact time isn't the only negative here. I'm curious to try it with my fresh roasted beans but question what grind to use without choking it out THEN there's still no contact time based on 6oz cup setting. I now wonder how much, if any 'hot caffeine' they're actually getting! LOL

TEMPTED to try my 2 cup Sowden w/fresh grounds, set to 12oz capacity. I programmed their brewer to the MAX 192 degrees (when last there). There's plenty of room for the Sowden to fit properly.

What do you think Net?
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 4:41am

msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 10:50am

Netphilosopher said:  "Caffeine is extracted early in the brewing process".

They brew 10 and 12 oz cups THEREFORE brown tinted 'caffeine' water. LOL Well, at least they're getting their caffeine.

What you said about working on fresh coffee, I'll have to try just 'coarser than espresso' grind then do 6oz and see what happens.

Better yet, for them wanting 10-12oz I'm going to try my little Sowden 2 cup Oskar SoftBrew I picked up at Home Goods for $14.99. The Eva Solo, YES! Prima Coffee showed it's 3 different sizes on YouTube---when I saw it I realized Home Goods had several of those sitting on the same coffee display where I found the Sowden, I looked at it wondering what the heck it was. The size was maybe 1 Liter, selling for 39.99 (I think). I'm not that familiar w/Eva Solo but from the looks of the filter you definitely need to grind for FP. The Sowdens can use a finer grind w/o leaving much silt in the bottom.

YES, Sowden is like Eva Solo in that it's full immersion----Sowden filters are 'micro', therefore finer grinds can be used. I haven't tried it yet but will soon at home AND at daughters' in her Cuisinart Keurig machine.

Going to Macy's today so will look for the VUE, see their pods capacity.
twanhines
twanhines
Expertise: I live coffee

Drip: keurig special edition
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:46am

I have a keurig special ediition that uses the k-cups. I have found that it really depends on the k-cup flavor used how strong the coffee taste is. For instance, I have brewed some of folgers K-cup coffee, and it is sickeningly strong! I mean its strong to the point that it literally stinks and horrible to drink. And then I've tasted other k-cups where it was just too weak to the point where I'd rather just drink hot water lol. But the coffee flavor(s) that i've found to taste the best is the Eight O'clock dark italian roast coffee and Emeril's big easy bold coffee. Those two are strong enough to bite you while not overly strong. I also found that with brewing your own coffee, you can use the "My K-cup", which i personally have. At first I use to wonder why my coffee tasted so stinking weak, then i read an article that talked about how the k-cups are put together and that the grounds are finely grounded. So then I tried it again with finely grounded coffee and it came out pretty decent. Here is the article link if anyone is interested. http://fixthatkeurig.com/?q=node/50
Not a lot going on there on that forum, but that article made sense to me.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Keurig - any...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255519151688)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+