Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Grinding Frustration
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinding...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JavaGator

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 6:19am
Subject: Grinding Frustration

Very pleased with my Brazen and cheap Mr. Coffee burr grinder.  What I have come to find as a frustration is wanting to vary the coffee I drink every day or so.  I load the grinder with a half pound of beans and it lasts me most of the week.  It's a pain and mess to unload the hopper to grind another variety.  Almost makes me feel like I need 2 or more grinders.  I guess the only answer is to only load the hopper with the amount of beans I will use at one tiime, but that defeates the purpose of the 8oz hopper.  How do you handle this?
 View Profile Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 6:44am
Subject: Re: Grinding Frustration

I'm using the Trifecta MB with a Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto scale, and have run across the same problem. Lately, I've been filling my hopper, maybe a quarter full and starting with that. If the coffee is exceptionally good, I'll finish the 12 oz before switching to another coffee. Sometimes when we are entertaining and I want to give guests a choice of coffee, I'll plan ahead and pre-weigh small amounts of different coffee on a small digital scale and drop them in as needed. Yes, it's a pain to tip the grinder and empty the beans out. Most of the time, I'll finish a 12 oz bag, then clean the grinder before switching to a different coffee. 12 ounces of whole beans doesn't last long in our house, so we still manage to drink a few different kinds of coffee, while still keeping the beans within two weeks of roasting. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
VernS

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 11:25am

I used to experience a similar frustration, because I wanted to change brew methods and coffee varieties several times per day. I bought a second, inexpensive grinder ($75) and justified it to my wife by showing all the retained ground coffee and partially ground beans that I had to throw out every time I changed.

As I learned from more experienced coffeegeek members, gained experience and refined my brewing skills it became very evident that using the timer on my grinder was not giving me the accuracy I required for my best cups.

So I now weigh the number of grams of coffee beans I want for each brew and grind that. When you get used to doing it, it only adds seconds. I do have to deal with increased popcorning (bouncing of the beans as the hopper empties), but my grinder is fairly easy to pulse as I empty the hopper, so it is not bad.

If your grinder is not easy to pulse (I suspect it is not) this may be more of a problem. You have what is probably the most accurate water temperature control of any auto brewing machine on the planet (I am somewhat jealous), it would be a shame to not weigh your coffee if you are not already doing that.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 11:57am

VernS has it right.

Buy a second grinder.  It's worth it in the long run.
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 5:43pm

I just dump a pound of beans in my VARIO grinder, enjoy the heck out of whatever coffee I have in there. And, when it's gone, dump a pound of some other coffee in the bin and enjoy that.

Right now, I've got Willoughby's extra fancy Kenyan something or other in the grinder.
JavaGator

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 4:34am

__________ Said:

VernS has it right.

Buy a second grinder.  It's worth it in the long run.

Posted October 19, 2012 link

I think I will do this.  Probably a hand grinder.  That way I wont load a hopper and can just use it when I want to add a little variety.  

It is funny that when I set my Mr Coffee burr grinder to a given measurement of grind, it never produces the same weight (g) of coffee in the receptacle.  I have been using about 50g at the .9L mark on the Brazen.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-1E mod, VL/terranova,...
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 6:39am

JavaGator Said:

I guess the only answer is to only load the hopper with the amount of beans I will use at one tiime, but that defeates the purpose of the 8oz hopper.  How do you handle this?

Posted October 19, 2012 link

That is one approach, but now you can see why so many of the Posters on coffee forums have multiple grinders.

I have a hand grinder (Pharos).  A single dosing grinder (Versalab M3) and a Mazzer Kony for bulk grinding of everyday beans.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Grinding...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269948959351)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+