Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Wanting More Information About Inland Glass Works Vacuum Brewer
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Wanting More...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
myheartshome

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 5:59am
Subject: Wanting More Information About Inland Glass Works Vacuum Brewer

Hi, I'm new here and probably not quite up to Coffee Geek status, but I have always had a fascination with vacuum brewers. Yesterday I came upon one at the thrift store and snapped it up, hoping to find more info about it online. I haven't found much! It is from Inland Glass Works, a "Triple XXX" coffee brewer, has its original instruction card, and from the parts list I deduce that it is missing the chrome brewer cover and chrome decanter cover. I tested it and it works with a little encouragement, since the rubber bushing/gasket is older and didn't want to seal at first. In the end it sealed a little TOO well and some rubber was left on the decanter.

For full disclosure, I run a vintage etsy shop and do plan to sell the brewer, as it's lifespan will inevitably be cut short in my home with two small boys!

I would just love any info anybody has on this thing. Is this a great find? Are there more around, am I just looking in the wrong places online? Any idea of value? Really most anything you can add would be appreciated.

I hope this is not an inappropriate post given my plans to sell it,  I don't want to be spammy, and I really do have a personal interest as well since I've always been interested in these guys. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

myheartshome: small brewer.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 7:43am
Subject: Re: Wanting More Information About Inland Glass Works Vacuum Brewer

It is difficult to tell from the photo, but it looks like it is made from parts of two different brewers.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jkoll42

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: VBM DD V3, Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Bunn...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Honey Badger 1K, HG/BM
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 8:31am

Link

Looks like they definately made them, as well as various decanters and it also looks like the styles changed over time.  Having no qualifications to say the following, it looks like a later model.  Their early stuff was very art deco and frankly the one you have was summed up perfectly above.  It looks hacked together.  I think whatever someone would pay for it is the perfect price.  It's not particularly pretty, and missing stuff.  

If it looked more like This and had a more in proportion top chamber I would PM you an offer right now :)

Good luck!
myheartshome

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 9:16am

Aaah, thank you both SO MUCH for your feedback and help! I have been asking questions all over the internet and come up short! I can see now that my picture really sucks lol, I'm attaching a better one that shows the two pieces to match and that puts them in better proportion. I'm pretty confident they go together as the fit is just too good. I get what you are saying about the style jkoll42, I bet if it had its chrome lid it would look cooler. Darn it. But hey, if you ever feel like shooting me a PM with an offer, it will save me the work of listing it, so keep it in mind! ;-)

myheartshome: small brewer.jpg
(Click for larger image)
myheartshome

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 9:17am

For kicks, here are the directions, I almost think I like vintage tags better than the vintage things they come with!

myheartshome: instructions.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jkoll42

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: VBM DD V3, Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Bunn...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Honey Badger 1K, HG/BM
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 3:04pm

Ok, now that pic looks better.  I'm still not a buyer (I have WAY too much coffee stuff around) but now it looks like it goes together.  The top vessel being just as bulbous as the bottom actually works somehow.  In fact the whole thing is a bit ridiculous looking but from the side I think it works.  

Again, I have no idea what it's really worth, but as is I think I would do $25-30 (I like the instructions) as a display piece.  Not sure of your fab skills, but if you could make a brass/copper rod base and alcohol burner even if it is non functional, as a display piece I think $60 or so would be a seller.
myheartshome

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 3:50pm

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to help and give feedback, I will take it all into consideration for my listing!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Wanting More...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239959001541)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+