Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Vacuum press
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Vacuum press  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Hugo03

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 11:09am
Subject: Vacuum press

I am using a vacuum press. The water is getting sucked up into the top chamber no problem but the coffee is only partially draining back down.  Can anyone help?
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 12:02pm
Subject: Re: Vacuum press

What vac pot is it? How old?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Hugo03

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 1:09pm

frcn Said:

What vac pot is it? How old?

Posted October 20, 2012 link

Bodum pebo.   Basically brand new.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 2:57pm

The plastic filters on these work very well, provided the ground coffee doesn't have too much in the way of fines (dust) in it.  If it does, it just clogs the grooves in the filter stopping the brew descending.
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 2:57pm

Hugo03 Said:

Bodum pebo.   Basically brand new.

What kind of grinder do you use? Do you grind more coarse like French press or closer to drip? Have you successfully used a vacpot before?
Hugo03

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 6:18pm

johnnyb3 Said:

What kind of grinder do you use? Do you grind more coarse like French press or closer to drip? Have you successfully used a vacpot before?

Basic grinder from the super mkt.   I'm 7 for 10 on successful attempts but I haven't varied anything
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:52am

First thing you need to do is buy a good multi use burr grinder. A referb from Barazta is fine, but it is hit or miss as to what is there. A Click Here (www.baratza.com)
encore is a good little grinder if you want to have a motorized one. For hand grinders, you could use a Hario Skerton such as this one
Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com)

Your coffee goes stale very quickly, like in 15 minutes from being ground. then again, if you are buying from a supermarket, it is extremely likely that it is was stale months ago. Roasted coffee is only good for about 15 days in espresso use and a little longer, say 3 or so weeks for other brewing methods.

Fresh coffee, freshly ground will be a huge improvement in what you drink, even if you DO get the water to go back down.

As others have said, too many fines can clog the system. Your bed of coffee acts as a filter on the water returning to the bottom, if you clog your filter, you stop the flow of water.

The other thing to check for is that you have a good seal between the two globes. The water is pushed UP from the bottom one by the pressure of the water heating up (hot water expands) and the water returning down is sucked down by the lower pressure in the lower globe. If there is a vacuum leak, you will not get all the water to return down to the bottom globe.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 2:58pm

calblacksmith Said:

First thing you need to do is buy a good multi use burr grinder. A referb from Barazta is fine, but it is hit or miss as to what is there. A Click Here (www.baratza.com)
encore is a good little grinder if you want to have a motorized one. For hand grinders, you could use a Hario Skerton such as this one
Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com)

Your coffee goes stale very quickly, like in 15 minutes from being ground. then again, if you are buying from a supermarket, it is extremely likely that it is was stale months ago. Roasted coffee is only good for about 15 days in espresso use and a little longer, say 3 or so weeks for other brewing methods.

Fresh coffee, freshly ground will be a huge improvement in what you drink, even if you DO get the water to go back down.

As others have said, too many fines can clog the system. Your bed of coffee acts as a filter on the water returning to the bottom, if you clog your filter, you stop the flow of water.

The other thing to check for is that you have a good seal between the two globes. The water is pushed UP from the bottom one by the pressure of the water heating up (hot water expands) and the water returning down is sucked down by the lower pressure in the lower globe. If there is a vacuum leak, you will not get all the water to return down to the bottom globe.

Posted October 22, 2012 link

+1 to all, and I bet it's not even a vacuum leak!
Hugo03

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 3:34pm

johnnyb3 Said:

+1 to all, and I bet it's not even a vacuum leak!

Posted October 22, 2012 link

Thx for all the help/ suggestions.   One more question what is the ideal grind for a vac press ?

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 4:18pm

Try slightly coarser than for a drip machine, but not as coarse as for a cafetiere.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Vacuum press  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339960098267)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+