Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Not black enough
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Not black enough  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dukas

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 9:18am
Subject: Not black enough

My French Press coffee does not turn out as black as my drip coffee.  Not enough beans, or not enough brewing time?
 View Profile Link to this post
dukas

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 9:19am
Subject: Re: Not black enough

I forgot to indicate that I brew for 4 minutes.
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 9:25am

What grinder? How much fines do you find in the bottom of your cup? Press can look a little muddy if it's high in particulates.

More importantly, how's the taste? If you close your eyes and sip both, do they both taste good? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.
dukas

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 9:38am

I use a burr grinder at its coarsest setting.  Three rounded tablespoons for 12 ounces of water.  No grinds get past the mesh and into the cup.  I am not satisfied with the taste, but I am a beginner and not sure whether the coffee is too bitter or too weak.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 10:03am

There is no real rule- do what makes the coffee you like.
Grind finer and/or use more coffee for a richer beverage. And since the beverage we call coffee is made from water and coffee beans, and water is basically tasteless, it does matter what coffee you are using and how it was roasted and how old it is. When in doubt, use a different coffee. Find a local roaster and get some fresh if you have not already done so.
Water temperature is also important. Put the press on the counter across the room from where you heat the water. Preheat the press and the plunger by filling it with hot water from the tap. Boil the water (stove or 'wave) for brewing while the press preheats. When the water is near boiling, empty the press and dump in the ground coffee. get the water and walk across the room. By the time you get to the press it should be around the correct temperature. Pour in the water and stir once to soak the coffee. Put cover and plunger in place and begin timing.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 10:40am

There are a lot of different burr grinders. Which one do you have?

Get a scale that reads in grams. 22-24 grams of coffee for 355 grams (approx 12 fluid ounces) is the normal range for press. That's approx. 4 tablespoons of coffee, so you might be a little shy on your dose, but weight works much better than eyeball.
Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:41am
Subject: ...

dukas

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 4:21pm

There are a lot of different burr grinders. Which one do you have?

A Kenmore #80011 flat burr.  I'm new at this, and I did the research and learned enough not to get a *blade* grinder.  I apparently did not do *enough* research, as it wasn't until after the purchase that I learned that there is *flat* and *conical.*  For grinding no more than three or four tablespoons of beans at one time, do you think that there is enough heat generated to be causing my problem?
Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 6:09pm
Subject: ...

Ivanovich

Espresso: Wega Mininova
Grinder: Baratza Preciso.
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 6:17pm

I would start by reading Mark Prince's great article about french press brewing.

Click here

The heat generated probably is irrelevant in this case, I would try grinding finer, maybe using more coffee, using freshly roasted coffee, using water at the right temperature, preheating everything, but above all, trust your taste own buds, they know what they are talking about.

Ivan.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Not black enough  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285476922989)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+