Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Not black enough
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Not black enough  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
dukas

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 9:16pm
Subject: Re: Not black enough

Than you, everyone, for your suggestions.

So ... in addition to everything else, should I return my cheap Kenmore flat-burr grinder and buy a conical?  If so, would I get significantly better results with a Capresso Infinity or Bodum Bistro, or would I have to spend a lot more?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 5:49am

Hi and welcome.
There is a difference between the taste of flat v conical but with quality grinders in either flavor of burr design, the quality will be high.

There are many fake or PSUTO burr grinders on the market in the lower price range. It is hard for a new person to better coffee to know the difference. I was fooled by just such a grinder when I bought my first "burr" grinder.

The fake burr grinders have cast "burrs" mostly with nubbs or blocks on them, the blocks act in the same way that the blade of a blade type chopper works and there really isn't much difference between the pusto burr grinder and the blade chopper, neither will give you a good grind, rather they mash the beans into submission rather than grind them.

I think you should adjust the coffee ratio to advised above, use water that is at the proper temp of 195 to 205F (just off a boil) and steep for 3 to 5 minutes depending on the beans, the roast, the grind and if you start to taste a bitterness of over extraction in the brew.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 9:25am

dukas Said:

My French Press coffee does not turn out as black as my drip coffee.

Posted October 21, 2012 link

What color is it, pink?  The most important question is NOT how it looks, but rather how does it taste?

dukas Said:

I am a beginner and not sure whether the coffee is too bitter or too weak.

Well, is it too bitter?  Does it taste watery?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 11:51am

You may want to up your dose.  With drip coffee, the coffee solubles are washed away during the brewing so the water retained by the grounds (roughly 2x the weight of the dry ground coffee) will be fairly weak compared to the coffee produced.  With a full-immersion press pot, the grounds absorb and retain full-strength coffee which will not make it into your cup, meaning that you'll need to increase your coffee dose for the same strength coffee.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
VernS

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 6:12am

dukas Said:

So ... in addition to everything else, should I return my cheap Kenmore flat-burr grinder and buy a conical?  If so, would I get significantly better results with a Capresso Infinity or Bodum Bistro, or would I have to spend a lot more?

I made almost exactly the same change you are proposing, 10 months ago and I've been very pleased. I had a $35 Presto Silex flat 'burr' grinder with 6 of those 'nubbs' that calblacksmith described on both the fixed and rotating disks.

My french press coffee improved very noticeably when I switched to the Bodum Bistro. It allows me to steep longer because of the reduced fines at a coarse grind. The Capresso gets some good reviews as well, but I would definitely expect more of a static problem because of the plastic grounds container. A refurbished Baratza is the most recommended by experts in this forum but can be harder to find, especially in Canada, where I live.

I cannot confirm this from experience, but my research indicates that for a little more money you can improve the espresso grind compared to these grinders, but you have to spend a great deal more to make a significant coarse grind improvement with a motorized grinder.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Not black enough  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319649934769)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+