Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Looking to get schooled on the art and science of great coffee
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking to get...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 11:05am
Subject: Re: Looking to get schooled on the art and science of great coffee

Perked Said:

I see brazen recommended a lot - it looks like its not bad for the budget. Is this a good one to go with (maker)?

Posted October 13, 2012 link

In one word & trust me on this, YES!!

Please read this: http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/brazen.html

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 3:06pm

Perked Said:

I see brazen recommended a lot - it looks like its not bad for the budget. Is this a good one to go with (maker)?

Posted October 13, 2012 link

On loan to my father-in-law, the Brazen takes his preground Maxwell House coffee and produces a decent cup.  

I do roast some coffee for him now and again.  Then the Brazen really shines.

LMWDP # 010
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 7:49am

'Looking to get schooled ....'
You don't have to start out roasting, but if you want to learn about coffee you need to read the bible:
"Home Coffee Roasting" by Kenneth Davids
MoJoeCoffeeRoaster

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 8:45pm

Alright you asked for it.

Start off with fresh coffee.  Find a snooty local coffee shop or local roaster and get some fresh roasted beans from all different origins.  If you cant find it localy I am sure you can find an online retailer (equator coffee is great) that ships fresh roasted coffee.  There is a crazy huge variance in coffee flavors once you get into good single origin beans that are roasted to bring out there flavors.  As a rule, roasted whole coffee is good for 2 weeks.

Next, making coffee all comes down to extraction, and to do that you need to grind the beans evenly otherwise the dust gets over extracted and and the big pieces get under extracted.  You need a burr grinder and unfortunately that takes you over your price limit and there's nothing you can really do about it.  The good news is you can get a refirb baratza grinder from their site for under 100 that should serve you well for a very long time as long as you don't ever want to get crazy about making great esspresso. (You need a little more expensive grinder to get it as fine as you need for espresso).  Grind it right before you brew it, a general rule is ground coffee lasts 2 house

Brew it, once again it comes down to extraction if you extract coffee too much it taste bitter, if not extracted enough it can taste sour.  My recomendation is the clever coffee dripper, get the large for like 22 bucks.  It is simple to use, no fancy kettles to buy for pouring slowly and evenly, and doesn't require much technique, which means the results are very repeatable.  I actualy dont have one as i use a beehouse pour over that I love but I spent a fair amount of time learning how to get the extraction right.  I have used one and I have given the clever as gifts.  With the clever if its bitter grind it coarser or brew it faster, if its sour grind it finer or brew it longer, thats really it. There really is no down side to this device.  The other brewing device that is pretty simple and cheap is a french press, i started out with one of these but i don't realy love the coffee it makes anymore, I (and a lot of other people) prefer the cleaner cup the filter gives you when drinking better aromatic coffees.

There you have it, i guess the next step is home roasting

Not going to go into that too much but i recomend a corretto roaster, you can look into that later.  As a rule green coffee can last 2 year.

You do need a scale eventualy but a slightly rounded table spoon is about 7 grams of medium and light roasted coffee, 6 grams of dark roast.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 10:30pm
Subject: ...

Perked
Perked

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 4:29pm

Wow! A lot of interesting information here!

Extraction method. Now this caught my attention as since I have one of those whirly thinga-ma-jigs still I will try to control the rate of the grind and not OVER grind it.

I am using 8'o clock whole bean right now and since I have never had truly freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee (I don't think so anyway), it is better than all the rest right now.

I dumped my kcup brewer and got a simple coffee maker from a big box store for now. One with 2 hour shut off and a brew strength (normal or strong). The stronger brew is simply a slower drip and that works for me - I like to get the most out of my coffee grinds - and that's where on my kcup brewer I feel I was falling short.

Anyway, this one also came with a water filter of sorts. It simply goes on top of the grinds cup and supposed to filter out chlorine in the water. Not really sure if it works.

VERY INTERESTING about the final cost per pound on the kcups. I'll have to let me wife know that one... and we may finally just sell our kcup brewer. We had planned on keeping it around for convenience and those early morning too-much-in-a-rush-to-grind-your-own-coffee mornings :D
KenpoJew

Espresso: Moka Pot
Drip: Bonavita
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:06pm

My 2 cents.....

When I stepped-up, I went with a Bonavita 1800th and I have not looked back.  I was a Great Buy for the money that I spent and I have been enjoying it for over a year now.  While grinding beans at home is great and you really do get the most out of your beans it does have it's drawbacks.  For example, if your significant other is a light sleeper and gets up a few hours after you, grinding your beans in the morning can create a 'situation.'

It all comes down to personal preference and how far up the coffee plant you want to go.

Go to a local coffee house and do your trials there.  Brew, Pour Over, Press, Turkish, you taste and then you decide.  

For me I just like the taste of drip coffee over anything else.  

Good luck and have fun, but most important of all remember,

it is not an addiction......it is a hobby.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 6:53am

Congrats on wanting to "up your game"!
The first bigger purchase is to dump that blade "grinder", there really is no way to keep from making dust to boulders with it due to the way it works, that is just life.

Your first FIRST purchase should be fresh coffee from an Artisan roaster, you will be AMAZED at the difference EVEN with that bean crusher you have now!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Perked
Perked

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 4:13pm

Ok, so here are my steps:

1) start getting fresh roasted beans from a local producer (this one guy quotes $11, but does not say for what - is this per pound? Is this a bad price? He roasts to order :)

2) upgrade my coffee grinder. already have a few in mind at amazon. Burr grinder. Cheap enough. $20-$50 range. Don't want to mention the specific brand.

3) upgrade my coffee maker. Looks like brazen is the way to go. Will take some time in talking my wife into going into the $200+ range for coffee maker. Perhaps I can justify the cost from selling our kcup brewer :D
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking to get...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28519821167)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+