Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
1 does not equal 1
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > 1 does not equal...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dukas

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:03am
Subject: 1 does not equal 1

Common sense tells me that one level scoop of beans should yield *less* than one level scoop of ground coffee, since some of the fine grounds occupy the space that existed *between* the original beans.  However, I find that the ground coffee is *more* than one level scoop.  Do the bean fragments *expand* from being ground?
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:13am
Subject: Re: 1 does not equal 1

Different grinders will give different levels of grind volume. Going by weight is best when dealing with coffee.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:44am

Beans on their own are more dense then the grounds.
 Beans are hard... Grounds are fluffy.
   words to live by.   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:50am

It's down to the packing fraction of the beans vs the packing fraction of the grounds.

Beans are smooth, and slide past each other to pack fairly densely.  Grounds have sharp edges and don't slide past each other, unless a force is put on them (tamping) or they are shaken to settle the down.  Thus the packing fraction of undisturbed grounds is less than that of beans.  Once you are dealing with volumes around 5-10 times the size of the particle (beans or grounds) or larger the packing fraction has a bigger effect than the size of the particles on the volume occupied.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 12:51pm

While it does not make a lot of sense, I have found that one (Aeropress) scoop of beans roughly equals a scoop of ground coffee.  

Similarly, when I grind walnuts for my wife (using a coarse kitchen grinder-thing) ...when I grind one cup of walnut halves I get roughly a cup of pieces.  

Really, does everything have to make sense?

With my Aeropress, one slightly rounded scoop of beans gives me a consistent good cup.

However, with my Krups Moka Brew I wouldn't dare try that.  There, +/- 5 grams can make a big difference.  So I weigh 45g of beans for 1 litre of water.

The answer to the OP's question is:  It depends on ...where.

Jerry
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > 1 does not equal...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225771903992)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+