Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 94 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
LIY

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 4:27am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

LiferJuice Said:

I contacted Behmor customer service, they replied pretty quick, they sent a diagram of 3 different spots the carafe leaks, I pointed out the problem I was having and replied back.

Hopefully they will remedy the problem, they seem to be on top of it.

Posted April 6, 2013 link

Please be kind enough to post that diagram if you are able - I believe that it would be helpful to many!

LIY
 View Profile Link to this post
LiferJuice
LiferJuice
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Stainless
Drip: Behmor, Technivorm
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 3:18pm

LIY Said:

Please be kind enough to post that diagram if you are able - I believe that it would be helpful to many!

LIY

Posted April 7, 2013 link

It's just a rough diagram showing 3 different leakage spots.

1. Seal between the lid and the carafe

2. Seal between the black plastic and stainless steel

3. Spout area

Mine leaks at #2
LIY

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 11:06am

LiferJuice Said:

It's just a rough diagram showing 3 different leakage spots.

Seal between the lid and the carafe

Seal between the black plastic and stainless steel

Spout area

Mine leaks at #2

Posted April 7, 2013 link

Many thanks!   Please update to let all know how this was resolved by Behmor!

LIY
LiferJuice
LiferJuice

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Stainless
Drip: Behmor, Technivorm
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 5:13pm

LIY Said:

Many thanks!   Please update to let all know how this was resolved by Behmor!

LIY

Posted April 8, 2013 link

They are sending me a new carafe.
LIY

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 6:04pm

LiferJuice Said:

They are sending me a new carafe.

Posted April 8, 2013 link

Decided to contact Behmor - just having trouble dealing with the dribbling!   Received the following email from Joe Behm:

"Hello Lance,

Thank you for your e-mail and we apologize for any inconvenience you’ve experienced with regards to the carafe. One of the reasons we chose this design is because it had been successful in the market place and found to be good a design by no less a name than Mr. Coffee (see attached) which they shipped with their higher-end offerings. In fact, Mr. Coffee sold several hundred thousand of these without the factory ever being made aware of any complaints. Thus, we decided we’d use it given its successes but in the course of time have come to see annoying little quirks that appear randomly, most notably a dribbling effect. As stated, the factory had not received any complaints from Mr. Coffee and were somewhat taken aback by what we described. Despite the fact, in a numerical sense, the numbers are small as are the percentage of units affected, we have requested that the factory pursue a new design that will eliminate these annoyances. The intermittent nature of the issues makes it difficult to ascertain the exact cause, so we have embarked on a full spout to lid redesign for new carafe production in the coming months. We are seeing in some cases that there may be a small burr on the pour spout resulting from a tooling defect.

Again we apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we move away from the design we inherited, to one of our own. In the meantime, some customers have reported that sanding the lip of the pour spout lightly with fine sand paper improves the pouring performance.  We have also heard that the technique of quickly pouring with the spout pointing straight down into the cup helps.

Best regards,

Joe Behm"

Of course, it is my hope that the new (redesigned) carafe will be made available free of charge to existing Brazen owners!  We shall see.   For now, I am grateful for the prompt reply and the hope that this problem may be resolved in the not too distant future.

LIY
Dripp

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario and virtuoso
Vac Pot: Bodum Chambord FP
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:47am

After reading about this a nubmer of months ago and not ordering one, I finally got fed up with my Capresso Coffeetec and the poor quality coffee it produced and ordered one from the west coast. Then I started reading some of the knocks on it and became marginally concerned. So I read this entire thread and I'm more than willing to put up with the minor detractions (if any) to get a grea cup of coffee. I love what Joe's done, and I love my Behmor roaster. Now I just wish I'd ordered from somplace closer so it would arrive sooner.
trombs

Espresso: Mypressi Twist v2
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W, Hario Mini...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Aeropress,...
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:08am

LIY Said:

Decided to contact Behmor - just having trouble dealing with the dribbling!   Received the following email from Joe Behm: ...

Posted April 9, 2013 link

Very nice to hear that there's a revised carafe in the works.  I do love this coffee maker and this annoyance is ultimately rather minor.  I'd be more than willing to buy a new carafe that fixes the v1 dribble.
Rob989_69

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 5:36am

Just got my Brazen last week. It is a drastic improvement over my Bunn commercial I was using. However, I'm not getting the depth of flavor that I'd hoped with it either. I went through the setup, my elevation is 380 so I set it to 500, the did the calibration. The coffee comes out nice and hot. I have the temp set to 203 and the pre-soak set to 1:20. It's a good cup, strong, but I'm not tasting much difference between different coffee's. I have found I like the paper filters a little better than the basket.

My question is, what should I tweak first? I've played with the grind a bit, I have a Virtuoso, which I've currently got at about 15 on the dial. My micro adjust (the set screw you can adjust by taking the case off) is towards the fine end of the middle setting.

Would a shorter or longer presoak help? Maybe a bit hotter temp? I'm using mainly African coffee right now, some Ethiopian and Kenyan. I also have some Sumatran that came with the Brazen. All are good, just not great. Both Africans are roasted by me and are a few days old. I usually let my coffee age a week but with the pre soak I'll roast closer to when I'll actually use it now.

BTW, I always do a full 8 cups when I brew.

I'm REALLY glad to hear they're working on a redesigned carafe. My only complaint is that it's virtually impossible to pour without at least a little dribble.
Dripp

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario and virtuoso
Vac Pot: Bodum Chambord FP
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 5:35pm

Rob989_69 Said:

Just got my Brazen last week. It is a drastic improvement over my Bunn commercial I was using. However, I'm not getting the depth of flavor that I'd hoped with it either. I went through the setup, my elevation is 380 so I set it to 500, the did the calibration. The coffee comes out nice and hot. I have the temp set to 203 and the pre-soak set to 1:20. It's a good cup, strong, but I'm not tasting much difference between different coffee's. I have found I like the paper filters a little better than the basket.

My question is, what should I tweak first? I've played with the grind a bit, I have a Virtuoso, which I've currently got at about 15 on the dial. My micro adjust (the set screw you can adjust by taking the case off) is towards the fine end of the middle setting.

Would a shorter or longer presoak help? Maybe a bit hotter temp? I'm using mainly African coffee right now, some Ethiopian and Kenyan. I also have some Sumatran that came with the Brazen. All are good, just not great. Both Africans are roasted by me and are a few days old. I usually let my coffee age a week but with the pre soak I'll roast closer to when I'll actually use it now.

BTW, I always do a full 8 cups when I brew.

I'm REALLY glad to hear they're working on a redesigned carafe. My only complaint is that it's virtually impossible to pour without at least a little dribble.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

I just got mine 2 weeks ago and I've found that 200-201 seems to work better than 203-204 so far. I also wasn't using enough coffee so I pulled out the scale again and measured out 53g of coffee for the .9L line, and that made a big difference. I'd play with the temp first, making sure you are using a consistent amount of coffee, then grind. That's what I'm currently doing, but it takes a long time since I'm only making one pot per day.
pgde

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Kitchenaid KPCG100
Vac Pot: None
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 5:47pm

Rob989_69 Said:

Just got my Brazen last week... Maybe a bit hotter temp? I'm using mainly African coffee right now, some Ethiopian and Kenyan. I also have some Sumatran that came with the Brazen. All are good, just not great. Both Africans are roasted by me and are a few days old.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

I do a lot of Ethiopian coffees and find that 201 is much better than 203. Don't forget your grind should be about the size of kosher salt grains. I don't have the same grinder so I can't tell you what setting to use. What I did was to grind some old beans that were destined for the garbage at several settings and compare them to a pile of kosher salt. IRT to pre-soak, I haven't found any difference in taste. A number of people on other forums (fora?) and sites have found a deeper and better taste using the metal filter only. But, each person's taste is unique :-)

Try 201, I think you will find it better for Africans.

P.
showing page 94 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.423415184021)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+