Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 105 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 4:36pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

tahoejoe Said:

Yep and it's quite easy w/ the right kind of tool and what we found works best is a little dental pick type tool we found at Harbor Freight...

Posted October 4, 2013 link

That sounds easy! And do I have a dental pick!?! LOL! My grandfather was a dentist and I have lots of them! Thanks, JOE!

imsnowbear Said:

Did you try using the technical advice function on the Behmor website? In my experience they're extremely responsive.

Yes they are!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 7:10am

tahoejoe Said:

Yep and it's quite easy w/ the right kind of tool and what we found works best is a little dental pick type tool we found at Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pick-set-93514.html

In the picture its the last pick that is perfect (see attached) because it has a slight bend to it. You literally stick this in and spin the tip till it grabs the mesh then keep twisting and gently pull out. I've had to fish a couple of them if it lost it's hold but no biggie, back in snag, twist and pull. Key is once the mesh is snagged, gently twist/ spin while extracting.

Joe,

I really do appreciate your support, and the effort you've made to provide a truly excellent machine.

To clarify a bit, are you recommending the screen removal for everyone, or just on machines having a drainage problem?  Also, when I look down in the drain hole I see what looks like a silicone ring protruding into the opening just above the screen.  This looks like it would prevent simply pulling or twisting the screen out of the hole (pic link below).   What would you advise?

http://i.imgur.com/UFQzx99.jpg
 View Profile Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 8:58am

One of the things we do and have done from day one is tear down every system to include carafes we've had returned to understand all we can. This tells us is it assembly, assembly location on a line needs changing, mehcanical or the issue a result of users accidentally causing it whether high mineral water, people putting the carafe in the dishwasher (major NONO) or in one case using the reservoir to reheat coffee.

This is one of the reasons we ask a number of questions whenever anyone sends an inquiry in because of what we have learned. We got our asses chewed out by one customer on Amazon for asking these questions but it's done to discern, cause, effect and so we can present a solution.

One of the several things we learned were engineers were overly cautious in certain areas, the screen and a gasket are two.

In the case of the silicone we found a gasket that slips over a nipple from the base of the reservoir and onto the valve was a smidge long and in some cases when the nipple was being inserted into the opening of the gasket it left the extra portion exposed a bit. It is not detrimental and is in essence "excess", but due to it's appearance, which understandably when seen raises questions, so we reduced the length a bit (see jpeg) for future builds to prevent this. We have had some customers see this excess and with a sharp exacto slice it out with no ill effect to the seal.

As to the screen, it is not vital you remove it nor am I saying to do so. Randy asked the question and knowing Randy is handy with tools offered up on how to do it. It's not rocket science but if someone attempted to remove it without knowing their way around tools and was unable to fish it out they could in theory wad it up causing blockage. I've not seen this in our experiments BUT given odds at some point someone may.

Point being it isn't necessary to remove either.

Hopefully this answered the questions

tahoejoe: Gasket.JPG
(Click for larger image)

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sat Oct 5, 2013, 6:05pm

tahoejoe Said:

Hopefully this answered the questions

Posted October 5, 2013 link

Yes it did.  I'm going to take the approach of not fixing it if it's not broken.

Thanks.
a7lewis

Grinder: Bodum
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 5:37am

Got my carafe lid repair kit yesterday.  Watched the video again just prior to install.  I couldn't find a pencil so I put a small strip of blue painters tape on the metal under the handle, and marked that with a pen.  Blue tape also came in handy for inserting the screw (I used the original screw, and there was no apparent magnetism between my screwdriver and it).  I put a small strip around the head, just enough to hold it on the tip of the blade, until I could get the screw threading started.  Then I pulled the driver back out to extract and remove the tape before final tightening.

After removing the original plastic upper, I saw that coffee had dribbled under the original spout and back under the plastic lid, all the way around the rim of the steel vessel.  I was relieved that there was no apparent leaking past the silicon gasket though.  (I used the new gasket anyway).

No dribbling during pouring now, and I did try to pour in ways that would have caused dribbling with the old upper.  Thanks Joe for providing this repair kit!
Johnjoe

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 5:37am

Just received a BraZen from my girlfriend.  I love it but have a question for you.

I was used to a melita cone style brew, made strong.  Even at temperatures approaching 200 and a fine grind, my Panamanian Esmerelda tastes a little mild or weak.

Did anyone else experience this, and how did you adjust your brewing.

I know the answer is play with it, but I hate brewing 10 bad pots if someone has a suggestion.

TIA
bodkacoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: Vario W
Roaster: US Roaster 5k
Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 6:05am

I just got one this week also. I had to back way off on recommended ground amounts to keep it from getting to strong. How many grams are you using?
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 6:37am

You should use the formula of 55gm per litre which is  33grams for 600ml 50gm for 900ml and 66gm for a full pot. Then play with the grind until it is just right. Courser. Grind to kosher salt grain size for the last two measures (2 or 3 mugs) and finer for a single mug to strengthen the brew.
Jerry43

Espresso: Carisma
Grinder: Virtuoso, HG-One
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 7:06am

I just finished my 100th brew with the Brazen. I use 28 to 33 grams and fill to the calibration line. Which amounts to 3 and 3/4 tablespoons of whole beans of City roasted Geisha and Ethiopian beans. I use Merlita paper filters with a setting of 32 on a Virtuoso grinder. At sea level I found 198 temp works better than 201 that I started out with. Also found that I liked a finer grind than what I was using for French press. Grind size made a bigger difference in flavor than temp or brew strength for me.
bodkacoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: Vario W
Roaster: US Roaster 5k
Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 7:29am

Great responses. I also use a paper filter. I do have a question though. I bought mine from 1st line last week. The spout dribbles. I was wondering, could I have a pot from before the upgrade?
showing page 105 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355371952057)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+