Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 250 of 294 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 12:57pm
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 1:48pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Interesting.  I've never thought of the Aeropress as a way to get more efficiency out of the coffee beans that I buy. I use the aeropress to give me more pleasure out of the coffee.  I actually tend to think (without testing this, mind) that I'm using a bit more coffee grounds for a similar amount of resultant coffee because I'm using these somewhat larger scoops and somewhat cooler water and not steeping very long.  I've always assumed I'm extracting just the "best" part of the bean at that temperature, and that I'm leaving some stuff behind, but I'm willing to pay that price.  

If I was looking for maximum efficiency I'd be using smaller scoops and hotter water, I guess. But as inexpensive as the Aeropress is compared with other brewing toys, I think of it as a relatively luxurious approach to coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 5:45pm

Regarding efficiency.

I've posted words to this effect before, but I'd like to repeat them again.

In the early days of the AeroPress I brewed with about 16% extraction.  I thought that was the key to low bitterness and was quite happy with this relatively low efficiency.

As the years went on, I learned to press gently which allowed me to use finer grinds.  I found that I was running at 20% extraction for my standard 2-scoop morning cup.  I thought "great - this is the optimum extraction".

But a few years later, I found that with a single scoop I can use the finest grind I can get.  I'm still stirring for 10 seconds and using 175F water, but my extraction runs about 25%.  And it's still not bitter.  I usually heap the scoop a bit -- for about 13 to 14 grams of grind.  That's enough to brew a 1.25% TDS "Gold Cup" with about 8 oz of brew.  So I'm running at a water/coffee ratio of about 17.  

I've concluded that there's no harm in 25% extraction, if temperature and time are still moderate.

Best,

Alan
eieio

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:41pm

may I ask for suggestions for good mugs that are suitable for use directly under the Aeropress during the pressing?

I thought the Bodum Double Walled glass mugs/cups are too delicate.

should I just use a white Crate & Barrel 16 oz mug?

trying to look for options but their diameters can't be too big because otherwise, the Aeropress will fall into the mug during the pressing.

thanks.
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:48pm

I have one coffee cup that is just tight enough so that the aeropress cap gets stuck in it after pressing (and has to be twisted out the right direction). I have a LOT of coffee mugs, even some big ones, but none of them are too big for the AP.
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:24pm

AlanAdler Said:

Regarding efficiency.
I've concluded that there's no harm in 25% extraction, if temperature and time are still moderate.

Posted April 21, 2013 link

Interesting judgment. Ian Bersten might nod assent.   ;-)

Has anyone done a study on how different extraction percentages cup at different temperatures?
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:36pm

MarkPrince Said:

There's no way to say this without being snippy, but here goes: Alan, I thought you quit this website back in 2009? But regardless, welcome back, and it'll be interesting to view your future postings and contributions.

However, please note, if there is any outright promotion of the Aeropress in these forums by you, it will result in a strike and I've instructed the moderators to keep an eye on things. You are welcome, of course, to support the CoffeeGeek website by becoming a paid advertiser. Considering how much promotion and exposure your product got in its early days in our forums, not to mention the problems it caused me with a few other advertisers, it'd be very welcome.

Regards

Mark

Posted April 20, 2013 link

Argh. Not sure how to say this without being snippy . . .    ;-)

Alan's not responsible for those other advertisers' refusal to spend a lot of their own time helping users of whatever they're advertising in this forum. Alan's willing to spend it. Will that increase sales of his product? Probably. That's what happens when the person responsible for a product supports its users in a friendly way. At some point, it just doesn't make sense to call such friendly support borderline advertising. The USERS will be the first ones to protest.

Disclosure: I make not a dime from defending Alan's participation in this forum. I have no stock in Aeropress. I don't give a rip about advertisers. I DO care about your griefs with them, since you offer a great web site, Mark, and you have lines to draw and consistency to honor. But c'mon -- Alan's been nothing but a constant civil help to folks. Even in the days of the Grand Espresso Controversy, he was simply arguing his point of view. In fact, I think a case could be made that his iconoclastic approach to the question made any notion that he was advertising in-thread implausible. He was offending everyone with the integrity of a man who believes what he's saying, damn the customers.    ;-)
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 5:28am

Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 5:29am

CaptainCowPie
CaptainCowPie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Not Yet
Drip: Aeropress & Bonavita...
Roaster: Heat Gun / Bread Machine
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 6:40am

rasqual Said:

Argh. Not sure how to say this without being snippy . . .    ;-)

Alan's not responsible for those other advertisers' refusal to spend a lot of their own time helping users of whatever they're advertising in this forum. Alan's willing to spend it. Will that increase sales of his product? Probably. That's what happens when the person responsible for a product supports its users in a friendly way. At some point, it just doesn't make sense to call such friendly support borderline advertising. The USERS will be the first ones to protest.

Posted April 21, 2013 link

I have to definitely agree with this. Alan's responses have always been extremely helpful to the discussions at hand without pushing his product. He is the epitome of great customer relations. I could only wish for such interaction with other products that I own. I realize this is your site Mark and you have to keep a happy relationship with your advertisers, but I hope you can see the value that this brings to the discussion.

If I felt that Alan was starting to promote instead of offering help as he has, I would be less inclined to follow this post as I have for the last seven years (has it really been that long, I had to look it up).

Vince
showing page 250 of 294 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.354957818985)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+