Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 70 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:41am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

You can get a pocket sized 0.1g digital scale for as little as $12. I recently finished a bag of Mexican Chiapa and then switched to Ethopian Sidama Shakiso. I couldn't believe the difference in the "visual" amount of coffee that I found in my grounds bin after grinding. The first couple of times I ground the Ethopian, I had to look back at the Esatto scale to see if I screwed something up. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:14pm

cafedj Said:

If you can afford a Brazen you should be able to swing a scale.

Posted December 9, 2012 link

Every time I read this all I can think of is "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball." Lol.
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:04pm

germantownrob Said:

I am sure many are doing this but I just discovered it for myself. My first step is to fill the reservoir to desired amount then hit manual release and start, water begins to heat while I get everything else ready, when ready I just hit off and start again to brew automatic. The added bonus for us easily distracted people is the water will heat to temp and hold for 10min until I remember I was making a pot of coffee.

Posted December 8, 2012 link

That's a great idea.  I've been just hitting start before grinding the coffee and so far haven't had a too big a problem, though I did overflow the basket when I got busy with breakfast and hadn't put the pot in yet.

The_Coffee_Guy Said:

A cool fyi then.....a 1.6oz shot glass, filled to the top with beans, weighs 14 grams. I use one to measure my 33 grams for 600ml using a Jennings pocket scale which is very accurate. So it works out to 2 filled glasses plus about 1/4 :)

Posted December 9, 2012 link

I found out that the 4 oz jelly jars hold 50 grams of coffee so I was using them for pre-weighed BraZen batches.  Problem was, I couldn't get 50 grams of the Brazil Conquista I roasted to fit... it would only hold 40 grams.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 3:44pm

germantownrob Said:

I am sure many are doing this but I just discovered it for myself. My first step is to fill the reservoir to desired amount then hit manual release and start, water begins to heat while I get everything else ready, when ready I just hit off and start again to brew automatic. The added bonus for us easily distracted people is the water will heat to temp and hold for 10min until I remember I was making a pot of coffee.

Posted December 8, 2012 link

I think I got into a bit of a pickle using this method this morning to brew a pot.  I started with filling the BraZen with 900 ml and hitting manual release and start to heat the water up while I gathered up my beans, ground them, and loaded them into the brewer.  This morning I was making a tails mix since I had different coffees roasted all with less than 50 grams left in the jar so I mixed the Brazil Conquesta with the Nicaragua Santa Teresa in a 50/50 blend.  This took more time and the BraZen had come up to temp by the time I'd gotten ready to brew the coffee.

I think this is where I tripped up, I hit off and then I lowered the temp from 205F to 204F after considering which coffee I was brewing and hit start.  Everything seemed normal and it went into the pre-soak pretty much right away, but it beeped and shut down after only a minute or two of the pre-soak cycle.  I checked the tank and it was full of water so I hit start again and this time it brewed normally.  I figure that I got more water by having some water from the first pre-soak and the second cycle, but the coffee tasted amazing and the brew completed so I was happy.  

The Brazil was a bit one-dimensional on it's own with a nice chocolate note and the Nicaragua has nice vanilla and lemon notes on it's own, but together it was really something great.

So, I guess that's a word of warning about going from manual release to an automatic brew cycle, especially if you drop the temp setting.  No fault of the BraZen, just stupid human tricks, I guess.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 4:44pm

yakster Said:

This morning I was making a tails mix since I had different coffees roasted all with less than 50 grams left in the jar.

Posted December 12, 2012 link

I just love this description. Every so often my wife will ask me what we are drinking in the morning and I try to describe what it actually is. At the point she starts glazing over, I just give up and say a "blend". This is perfect, for she knows I clean the grinder after every  coffee change and place the grinder's remaining beans in a "collection" jar (which we both sample from time to time for quick crunchy caffeine lift).  Some of our brewed "Tails Mix" have been pretty tasty. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 5:35pm

yakster Said:

I think I got into a bit of a pickle using this method this morning to brew a pot.  I started with filling the BraZen with 900 ml and hitting manual release and start to heat the water up while I gathered up my beans, ground them, and loaded them into the brewer.  This morning I was making a tails mix since I had different coffees roasted all with less than 50 grams left in the jar so I mixed the Brazil Conquesta with the Nicaragua Santa Teresa in a 50/50 blend.  This took more time and the BraZen had come up to temp by the time I'd gotten ready to brew the coffee.

I think this is where I tripped up, I hit off and then I lowered the temp from 205F to 204F after considering which coffee I was brewing and hit start.  Everything seemed normal and it went into the pre-soak pretty much right away, but it beeped and shut down after only a minute or two of the pre-soak cycle.  I checked the tank and it was full of water so I hit start again and this time it brewed normally.  I figure that I got more water by having some water from the first pre-soak and the second cycle, but the coffee tasted amazing and the brew completed so I was happy.  

The Brazil was a bit one-dimensional on it's own with a nice chocolate note and the Nicaragua has nice vanilla and lemon notes on it's own, but together it was really something great.

So, I guess that's a word of warning about going from manual release to an automatic brew cycle, especially if you drop the temp setting.  No fault of the BraZen, just stupid human tricks, I guess.

Posted December 12, 2012 link

I thought it was me but same thing happened when I stopped and adjusted the temp up,still kind of weird since I stopped the brew with the off button then hit start to do the programmed brew. Anyway just a minor glitch and knowing about it prevents empty pot of coffee when they should be full.

The Brazen is sitting behind me with out the carafe, it is back lit, damn it looks sinister!

Now the long thumb scroll to the end of this thread to post this on the iPad.
MJW

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:09pm

Been brewing away with great satisfaction, but I do still get a slight taste & smell in the water.  It's not detectable in the coffee anymore.  But it's there in the water (if I brew just water, for example).

I did the following test.  I performed the calibration procedure again, just to boil the water, and found no taste or smell in the boiled water.

Next, I topped it up and brewed water only, per the instructions, with the lid back on, and found the water to have that typical smell and taste.

Other than the funny taste, the coffee's been consistently great, it brews much better than I can.  The water issue's not a big deal for me since I rarely brew plain water... just curious at this point.
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 6:56am

I've noticed this before to. I think this might actually be a software bug, just haven't invested much time into exploring it.

What I've noticed is that if the chamber is already at temp from a manual release warm up, and you quickly hit off and start to start the auto cycle, it will shut down after the pre-soak period is over.

If you hit off, wait for a 20 or 30 count, then hit start, I don't think it happens. Also if you do it before the chamber is up to temp, I don't think it happens.

I've tried to think of ways in which the software would be written that this would happen but I'm coming up empty.
yakster
yakster

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:48am

This morning was a delicious cup of the Ninety+ Ethiopia Tchembe N2 Natural I picked up last year and roasted this weekend.  Brewed at 204F but I think I'll try 203F next to see if I get even more of the blueberries in the cup.

I've been trying Melita white filters lately, they're thinner than the tall Bunn filters that I had left over from my last brewer and I think I like the results better, thought I still really like the gold filter.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 5:22am

Let me take this opoportunity to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays and a Great 2013. May it be filled with many many pots of awesomely brewed coffee and and bring with it great conversation about this awesome brewer :)

Adam Kalpin
showing page 70 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.353398799896)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+