Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle - Anyone Have One
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DexD

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 10:40am
Subject: Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle - Anyone Have One

On paper, this thing seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered and just about perfect FP or pour-over.  Anyone have direct experience with one?  It seems it has come out not too long ago so I can find very little about it minus the very encouraging Seattle Coffee Gear video.
 View Profile Link to this post
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 1:52pm
Subject: Re: Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle - Anyone Have One

There's currently five pages worth of info on this on the Home-Barista Bonavita PID Kettle thread.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DexD

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 2:59pm

yakster Said:

There's currently five pages worth of info on this on the Home-Barista Bonavita PID Kettle thread.

Posted October 25, 2012 link

Missed this somehow, thanks!
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 4:46pm

I think that is the thread I started a while back. I enjoy collecting coffee related devices and have quite a few now so many get used only once in a blue moon - this Bonavita PID Kettle sees daily use. Maybe the Hario V60 sees as much duty since this kettle is near perfect for pour over. Mine is an early edition so the counter feature is not included - I do wish it had it though. It still heats as fast as day one and the temp variability hasn't wandered any either. It is a top notch item if you enjoy pour over coffee or tea - great for the Aeropress and the Chemex and everything in between.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
micvog

Espresso: None
Grinder: OE LIDO 1, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: AeroPress, Beehouse, Chemex
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 6:26pm

I bought one about a week ago and really like it.  I was about to buy the standard Bona Vita kettle earlier this year when I found out about the variable model in development.  I am glad I waited.  I had been using a plastic Braun kettle with a ceramic Melitta pour over and was looking for the gooseneck spout for better control (and getting away from the plastic).

I would add two points that I haven't seen mentioned. First, the max fill line inside the kettle is very hard to read - that is the only complaint I have with it. Second, it does come with a plastic cover for the base. The cover can be used while using the kettle and is meant for commercial/heavy home use to prevent water getting on the base. I have not been using it.

I had read it was a little slow to heat water. However, it seems comparable to my 10-year old Braun kettle.

Overall, a great product. I see on another website that Bona Vita is also getting ready to introduce ceramic pour overs (and a scale and an immersion brewer). I will be trying the pour over based on my experience with this kettle.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 2:35am

I want to try the new pour over cone with the valve too. I wonder if I can coax a decent cup out of it using Dunkin Donuts coffee and my Bonavita PID kettle though, since this is considered by some to be the new test of brewing quality...

The Bonavita scale looks like someone decided to finally listen to what people making coffee are asking for too.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:17am

Been using the Bonavita Variable Temperature gooseneck kettle for about a week now. It's quite amazing technology considering the demands the commercial and home markets now have for manual pourover devices, and how it addresses some needs and wants for the enthusiast community and the pro marketplace. I wrote up a bit about it on Google+:

https://plus.google.com/+coffeegeek/posts/Jz1z3YHTKc3

With regards to claims it is slow to heat up. I am sorry but I disagree with that. For a 1l kettle, I'd call the speed normal / slightly fast when boiling to 212F. It's certainly faster than the Capresso Glass 1l kettle I have, but not nearly as fast as heating 1l on an induction range using Bonavita's gooseneck stovetop kettle.

It is slower to hit your set temperature if you are not setting it to boil: for example, if you are setting it to heat up to 205F. The reason is, it throttles down as it gets closer to the temperature, so it won't overshoot. If you want your water heated fast, just set it to boil. Then after it boils, set the temperature you want it to hold at. Water drops temperature FAST from boil - it'll drop from 212F to 205F in under a minute in this kettle when it is not on the unit and active.

I quite like the hold temperature feature, and I like the built in "auto" brewing timer that shows up as soon as you lift the kettle off its base.

Very recommended. I'm working on a very brief Quickshot Review for it.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
kafegeek

Espresso: delonghi
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 4:35am

DexD Said:

Missed this somehow, thanks!

Posted October 25, 2012 link

Missed it as well... :-)
DexD

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 5:47pm

Thank you everyone for the replies.  The glowing review by Mark pushed me over the edge and I finally got one this weekend.  Here is a question I'm hoping someone could answer: the temperature display LED flickers when I have the kettle warm the water.  It does not flicker at any other time.  Is this normal???
micvog

Espresso: None
Grinder: OE LIDO 1, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: AeroPress, Beehouse, Chemex
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 7:41pm

Mine does the same thing. The manual says it is normal.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289202928543)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+