Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 242 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 9:12pm
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 9:19pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Netphilosopher Said:

Alan,

The bodum bistro grinder is or can be extremely fine if you grind one step finer than the drip icon.  The inflection point for the grinder varies - one demo model at the pourover/drip icon grinds like my personal one at Drip+3, and both are roughly equivalent to a Ditting set at 6.  I can't even grind finer than drip-2, because I get burr clash before I get to the espresso icon.

Posted November 27, 2012 link

I use a Ditting at 4 or 4.5 for AeroPress.

Regarding clash, most grinders allow you to turn a screw which sets the knob so that the finest knob position is just above clash.

Best,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 7:26am
Subject: ...

dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 8:06am

AlanAdler Said:

This coarse a grind will produce a weaker cup.
We recommend 1 step finer than drip.

Posted November 27, 2012 link

So will using 170F water, and only keeping it for 30s in the Aeropress.  I'm using an inverted 2-3 min steep and 195-200F water.  Strength in the cup is function of time, temperature and grind size.  This cup was too strong if anything.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:43am

Thank you, Alan. I really appreciate the excellent customer service.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 6:17pm

jpender Said:

Thank you, Alan. I really appreciate the excellent customer service.

Posted November 28, 2012 link

Hi jpender,

Thank you.  Your message above implied that you've emailed me your mailing address (as I requested) so that I can mail you some replacement parts.  But I've not received an email from you.  Did you send anything?

Best,

Alan
alan@aerobie.com
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 6:23pm

Netphilosopher Said:

I have some Ditting 4 and 5 samples that average around 550 and 625 micron average respectively, with sigma ~300microns, if I remember correctly (fit to a normal distribution using the cumulative distribution and through center slope with progressive sieves).  Have you ever checked your grind?

I've only bought ground coffee (while traveling) at shops that used a Ditting.  I also used the Ditting in the SCAA laboratory in Long Beach, CA.  A setting of 4 to 4.5 pressed well for me, but I didn't measure the particles.  For two scoops and about 12 pounds of push, I like about 30 to 40 seconds press time.

Best,

Alan
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 8:32pm

AlanAdler Said:

Your message above implied that you've emailed me your mailing address (as I requested) so that I can mail you some replacement parts.  But I've not received an email from you.  Did you send anything?

Nope. I called Aerobie customer service and used a fake name. I wanted to see if they offered the same deal that you did here on CG. They did. I got a box on the doorstep tonight. THANK YOU! I won't have to boil my plunger tomorrow morning or scrub my cylinder with a toothbrush anymore.

Now... if you could just get to work on the flying Aerobie Aeropress. Back in the 70s there was a device called the "Buzzbee". It was a frisbee, but with a 1970s twist. I don't see any reason why this couldn't be done with a coffee brewing device. Just get the grind and water temperature right and give it a fling: the perfect cup!
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 9:12pm

jpender Said:

Nope. I called Aerobie customer service and used a fake name. I wanted to see if they offered the same deal that you did here on CG. They did. I got a box on the doorstep tonight.

Great!  No need for a fake name, jpender is the only name we have.

Best regards,

Alan
caeffe

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar & Pavoni...
Grinder: Mazzer Major / PeDe Moka
Vac Pot: eSantos / Yama tabletop
Drip: Krups Moka Brew / Bodum Kona
Roaster: I-Roast 1
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:34am

Another satisfied customer here.
I just recently bought an Aeropress, with the intention of using it when on business travel - hotel coffee is horrible and it's kind of inconvenient to swing by some of these non-starbuck indenpendents.

Anyways, while using it I accidentally dropped it and one of the tabs on the filter holder broke off making it unusable.  I had the darn thing for just 2 weeks  :(

Called Aerobie and asked to order a replacement filter holder.  Was told it was $x and change with shipping and sales tax.  Eventually was asked if I wanted to buy extra filters and I relayed I just bought it and don't need extra filters - the rep then asked why I need a filter holder then and so I told him.  "Well, in that case, the filter holder will be shipped to you free of charge sir".  WOW.  Awesome customer service.

I think I need to buy another one for home and keep this one permanently packed in my luggage.
showing page 242 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415560007095)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+