Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 62 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 11:45am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

Yes.. flow rate drops a small amount towards the end given "head pressure" become less. This is the primary reason we just open the valve for a much longer time at the end in part because we know the flow from the reservoir is no longer greater than that from the grounds basket to the carafe.

And yes we have temperature maintenance that seeks to insure stable temps throughout the entire brew process.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 1:43pm

I've started using the gold filter basket and am liking the results.  What is the recommended cleaning method for the basket?  I've been using a plastic bristle vegetable brush and warm soapy water, but don't want to rub the gold off over time.  Just seems like a water rinse will let residue accumulate.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 2:26pm

cafedj Said:

I've started using the gold filter basket and am liking the results.  What is the recommended cleaning method for the basket?  I've been using a plastic bristle vegetable brush and warm soapy water, but don't want to rub the gold off over time.  Just seems like a water rinse will let residue accumulate.

Posted November 13, 2012 link

Hi DJ,
I use an old soft toothbrush delegated to the task with hot soapy water.
Any vegetable brushes bristles I've seen are fairly stiff to be able to scrub even dirt or what not off of potatoes, etc. I'd be afraid that the vegetable brush would eventually damage or break the micro fine screen.
I've also used just a soft 'bar mop' terry towel cloth also.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cafedj

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 2:44pm

CraigA Said:

Hi DJ,
I use an old soft toothbrush delegated to the task with hot soapy water.
Any vegetable brushes bristles I've seen are fairly stiff to be able to scrub even dirt or what not off of potatoes, etc. I'd be afraid that the vegetable brush would eventually damage or break the micro fine screen.
I've also used just a soft 'bar mop' terry towel cloth also.

The particular vegetable brush I have isn't too stiff, but don't know how to measure that.  The rag idea is good, and reminds me a sponge would work as well.  Tooth enamel is definitely harder than gold, although the karat gold effects hardness, and a soft toothbrush as you mention could be ok.  Just curious what others use.  I'm very glad the brew basket is flat bottomed.  Besides allowing a more even extraction of all the grounds I could never keep a cone shaped basket clean.
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 4:37pm

I've been using a wash rag and hot soapy water but I did recently soak my gold filter basket in a mixture of OxyClean and water to get rid of a coffee smell that had built up in the filter over time.  This was very effective at removing the odor.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 4:47pm

Thanks Chris!

Dunno how I forgot that, but I have used OxyClean on the filter & basket too.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cafedj

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 5:56pm

yakster Said:

I've been using a wash rag and hot soapy water but I did recently soak my gold filter basket in a mixture of OxyClean and water to get rid of a coffee smell that had built up in the filter over time.  This was very effective at removing the odor.

Good one.  I'll give that a try.  Thanks.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 4:44am
Subject: ...

tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 2:23pm

Netphilosopher Said:

So you're basically using pulse width modulation (like the heating elements on the Behmor) with periods of open and closed state to control the delivery rate.  Kool.

Posted November 14, 2012 link

We tweaked it a lot.. the timelines we constructed then tried varied greatly and we are pleased with this set.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
gilrain

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Broken Brazen
Roaster: Whirly-Pop
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 8:58am

I really, really wanted this to be love at first brew. I think I must have had unrealistic expectations.

The first three brews overflowed the filter basket, even as I increased grind size and pre-soak time for each brew. The roast was a dry processed Ethiopia Sidamo at FC+, fully six days past roast. I expected to spend some time dialing the brews in, but I wanted that to be prompted by flavor criteria, not "is it still making a huge mess" criteria.

I've just had my first non-overflowing brew, but as a result of the coarse grind size, the cup tastes watery and flavorless compared to the same roast from my previous every-morning method: a Yama vac pot. I feel like I've traded one adjustment for another: in the vac pot, temperature is difficult to control and monitor but grind size is not an issue; in the Brazen, temperature control is perfect, but grind size is limited from coarse to extra-coarse. Again, this wasn't a last-night roast, here -- this was six days old, which is about as old as my coffee ever gets!

I wasn't expecting a cup as rich as the immersion method of a vac pot, but I was expecting to be able to tweak it partway there. And the thing is, instead of encouraging tweaking, the Brazen scares me away from it: do I want to risk that this morning's coffee is going to overflow? If it's a workday, I won't have time to clean it up and make a second pot before I'm out the door. I'm just not sure this machine will be reliable enough to be a convenient daily driver, and if it isn't, how is it any improvement over my vac pot?

Argh. Well, I'll try a few more pots tomorrow, although the roasts will be fresher, and I don't relish the overflows that are bound to occur. It's necessary, though: if I can't tame this thing into making coffee with my roasts, it's going to have to get sent back on Monday. I wish I had a better report. I genuinely wanted to be a fanboy for this maker. It's probably not the Brazen's fault; maybe drip coffee just isn't for me.
showing page 62 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330018043518)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+