Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Hario TCA5 vs. Yama SY8?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hario TCA5 vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
silsurf

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Burr 555
Drip: Moccamaster CD
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 5:10am
Subject: Hario TCA5 vs. Yama SY8?

I have been using a Hario TCA5 for years and hope I have gotten down the ability to make an exceptional cup of coffee with it.

I recently started using a Yama SY* in the hopes of getting a little more coffee in the morning for my wife and I. But it is proving to be very difficult? There seems to be a vast difference in the brew techniques between these two vac pots nad i was wondering if anyone had thoughts guidance on how to get an exceptional cup out of the Yama SY8?

Specifically I am having issues with:

Getting the temp high enough before infusion
Very erratic behavior with the the immersion, sometimes the top chamber froths up and overflows?

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter,

Henry
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
silsurf

Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 10:13am
Subject: Re: Hario TCA5 vs. Yama SY8?

I have answered my own question.

I made my first batch with the TCA-D5 in quite awhile yesterday and it is superior to the Yama in every way. I do not have a reason other than all the variables, volume, water temp, etc, etc. But I just cannot make a superior cup in that Yama 8 Cup Siphon
siphon74

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5, Yama SY8
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 5:46pm

I haven't had any of the problems you described with my Yama 8 cup vac-pot. What temp are you trying to reach? I'm not sure why yours isn't getting hot enough. I put the upper globe on the bottom right when the water begins to boil and measure a temp of approx 209F. I need to give it a few stirs to bring it down to 202F before adding the coffee. I've been getting excellent results IMHO but don't have a Hario to compare with. I did notice that the coffee tastes better when brewing a full 40 oz. pot as opposed to a 32 oz. one. When I brew 32 oz. it seems a bit more watery than I like.
 View Profile Link to this post
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 7:30am

silsurf Said:

I have answered my own question.

I made my first batch with the TCA-D5 in quite awhile yesterday and it is superior to the Yama in every way. I do not have a reason other than all the variables, volume, water temp, etc, etc. But I just cannot make a superior cup in that Yama 8 Cup Siphon

Posted November 3, 2012 link

I played with a Yama 8C Syphon for several weeks when I first got into syphon brewing but wasn't impressed with the coffee or the Yama quality. Moved on to a Hario NCA 3C & 5C tabletop with butane burners & cloth filters almost 4 years ago & have been spoiled ever since.

John
silsurf

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 7:01am

thanks and agreed
siphon74

Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 7:56am

You guys convinced me to order a Hario TCA-5! I'm excited to compare it to the Yama..

What ratio of coffee to water are you guys using in the Hario? 40g of grinds to 20oz or water?

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 4:55pm

siphon74 Said:

You guys convinced me to order a Hario TCA-5! I'm excited to compare it to the Yama..

What ratio of coffee to water are you guys using in the Hario? 40g of grinds to 20oz or water?

Posted November 6, 2012 link

30g to 500ml
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 8:04am

If temps, times, grinds, filters(?), ratios etc. & everything else is kept the same, what's left, the shape of the bowls, quality of the glass must make a difference?  In that case, & if the hario is that much better than the yama, imagine how much better a cona will be!
silsurf

Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 8:05am

I have never had a cup from the Cona, perhaps the next time I break a Yama upper I will investigate

H
siphon74

Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 10:45am

I'm assuming the big difference between the Hario and the Yama is that the shape of the lower globe on the Hario keeps less water in the pot when everything travels to the upper globe due to its round shape. I cant see the quality of the glass making a big difference in taste. I mean, you can't taste glass, right? Temps in the upper globe of the Yama are just fine, or at least that's what the thermometer says. My Hario TCA5 should be here on Friday and I'll compare. Perhaps the larger volume of the Yama and the draw down time is another factor?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hario TCA5 vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292940139771)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+