Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best auto drip brewer on the market?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 5:35pm
Subject: Re: Best auto drip brewer on the market?

this might have been funny had the Brazen been released in the 90's, but I'll rerun it anyway:

VKirby: chandler.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
DexD

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 6:03pm

EvanOz85 Said:

As someone who has seen every single one of their videos, I have to say that they pretty much know nothing about how to properly make a cup of coffee. You WOULD think that with their popular business and "fame" that they would be experts. But I mean..just a few months ago they gave a "review" of the Chemex using V60 filters! They didn't even know that Chemex filters are what makes the Chemex method special.

And don't get me started on Gail's version of the pour-over. Ever seen her pre-infusion? She likes to use the "slightly wet the very top of the center of the grounds while leaving everything completely high and dry method". A scale? Pshh...who needs one when you can EYE it as well as she does?

I'm not trying to rag on them since I DO enjoy their videos...but it should be obvious to any coffee enthusiast after watching a few of their videos that they have no interest in researching their products and how to use them properly.

Posted November 15, 2012 link

To be fair, Tom Owen suggests using the V60 filters with a Chemex here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-NdnGS1XvU
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 6:13pm

Yes but they were reviewing it as the CHEMEX BREWING SYSTEM. They did not review it as "Chemex using Hario filters" which would have made all the diffence. They reviewed it as the Chemex brewer, and did not have the slightest clue they messed up until they were torn apart in the comments for it. They then released a second video using the actual Chemex filters, and still managed to do it improperly by not placing the layered side of the filter over the spout.

Original video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMj1RWbB1JU&feature=plcp
Second video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO6L9PXrBcs&feature=plcp
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 8:31pm

DexD Said:

This is how EricBNC sets up the thread (please note the first sentence). He is then offended that people are calling him out on the fact that SCG testing cannot even begin to set "out to find the answer" because of the obvious, glaring and fatal flaw in the methodology and is now a step short of labeling everyone who points out the obvious as a Brazen 'shill'. Where exactly did EricBNC think this thread was going to go? Pointing out that the test as it was set up cannot meaningfully go about comparing the different brewers is hardly demanding the standards of a scientific journal.

Note: I do not own any of the brewers on the list.

Dex, you use logic to explain Eric's obvious bias and spiker for a conclusion he desired being the golden ring and the video doesn't speak kindly of Seattle Coffee Gear's credibility either.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 8:43pm

Again with the "spiker." I really hope it's not a synonym for "erection."
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 8:49pm

jbviau Said:

Again with the "spiker." I really hope it's not a synonym for "erection."

It is and explains why he's not using his brains to see the obvious and what all others are seeing, the video was a sham production. Eric would rather label others as fan boys rather than see his error. Problem with admitting the error, he'd then be admitting he was blinded by the conclusion.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:37pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I looked up Boneco and came up with air filters ... what up with that?

Len

It is a manual brew system (so it really doesn't count in this thread) that was designed in Switzerland and sold over here back in the late 80's - early 90's. It has a flat bottom and a very fine mesh filter. I found one still in the box for a couple bucks at a local thrift. The filter brews as fine as a paper filter - over 2 million holes in the 18/8 steel mesh if the LA Times write up is correct:

Click Here (articles.latimes.com)

It makes a decent cup and you can add all the water at once so finesse is not required - a very simple design really. : )

Here is a link to the H-B Thread with larger photos and more details: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

EricBNC: cg.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 7:45am
Subject: Re: Warp speed Mr Sulu - toward the Shillian belt...

EricBNC Said:

I mean, except for having an extremely successful and popular business selling coffee related gear what do they know?

By this logic, the Keurig is probably the "best" brewer out there. K-cups must naturally also have the "best" coffee.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:50am

onthemoors Said:

It is and explains why he's not using his brains to see the obvious and what all others are seeing, the video was a sham production. Eric would rather label others as fan boys rather than see his error. Problem with admitting the error, he'd then be admitting he was blinded by the conclusion.

"Spiker"?  New word for wood in thesaurus?

God this thread is getting ridiculous.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 3:41pm

Let's get this thread back on track - SCG tries product before offering it for sale. The business is large and successful. The face on the internet might be Kat and Gail, but there is a larger mostly invisible staff as well. The four brewers are all available for sale from their store. Anyone with a credit card, time, and inclination can repeat their test to confirm or dispute their results.

In blind tasting using Velton's Twilight Blend - a coffee they are very familiar with - Gail like the cup produced by the Technivorm best. She Also remarks how hot it is. She likes the cup from the Thermal Bonavita as next best. The glass carafe version would have been a more "apples to apples" test, but that is a subject for another thread. The YouBrew by Breville came in third while the Behmor Brazen came in 4th place.

Likely all four machines are quite capable of making great coffee. The Breville and the Technivorm cost almost $300 while the Bonavita and the Behmor sell for less than $200. any conclusion about the test methodology is something to take up with SCG or something to discuss in another thread.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
showing page 6 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.366094112396)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+