Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 249 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 10:26am
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 11:10am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

jpender Said:

In the youtube video Andy clearly adds grounds to the Aeropress before the pourover.
Was the video a re-enactment where he used a different technique? Or did you miss something?

Recipe:
8g of coffee and 120g of water pulse poured for 90 seconds into a trimmed V60 filter.
This drips into the Aeropress which is pre-loaded with an addtional 10g of coffee.
He then adds 150g of water, reverts, caps, and gently presses for 25 seconds.

Measured by Alan:
Strength of 1.36 ± 0.17%

So how do you calculate the extraction?

Posted April 17, 2013 link

Here is the recipe text from the sprudge link:

"Place inverted Aeropress on a scale, tare, add 10 grams of coffee. “I used a fine drip grind,” Andy tells us after the competition. Trim down and pre-wet a V60 filter and carefully fold it on top of the Aeropress chamber. Add an additional 8 grams of coffee to the V60 filter.

Start your timer, and pre-infuse the V60 filter for about ten seconds with 203-205 degree water. Pulse pour 120 grams of water total over the course of a minute and a half. Carefully remove the V60 filter. Add an additional 150 grams of water to the Aeropress chamber (this’ll take around 20-25 seconds).

Pre-wet that Aeropress paper filter, cap the chamber, invert the Aeropress – and very slowly press it down. Gentle. Pour and enjoy."

It appears that I did miss something.  When Andy started brewing, I rushed over to watch.  I arrived when he was putting the cone filter on top of the chamber.  But from the recipe above, he had already put 10 grams of grind into the AeroPress.  

I thought from our prior exchanges that others were saying that he added grind after the pour-over.  But the 10 grams were there before the pour-over.

I stand corrected.

Regarding extraction.  His two-step method would require an intermediate Brix measurement, which I don't have.  But treating it as if it were a single-step brewing:  18 grams coffee, 270 grams water, 1.60 Brix calculates to 20% extraction (using Netphilospher's exact formula).

Best,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 11:21am
Subject: ...

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 11:29am

Netphilosopher Said:

Stage 1 is percolation on a 15 Brew Ratio.  Nobody knows the strength, but assuming the grind and the pourover was ideal (all assumptions), and the V60 is similar to other pourovers (more assumptions), then one can guess that this produced about 104g of coffee at 1.54% (which consists of 102.4g water + 1.6g TDS)

Then at Stage 2, this goes into the AP with another 10g of coffee, then adds 150g of water for a total brew slurry of 104+10+150g, then pressed.

In the end just before pressing, the strength is 1.36%.  The total water is 150g+102.4=252.4g, so the backcalculated TDS is 3.48g (  (.0136 * 252.4)/(1-.0136) )

The additional extracted dissolved solids is 3.48-1.6 = 1.88g, or 18.8% from the extra 10g of coffee.  For all 18g, the approximated (with all assumptions) extraction is around 3.48/18 = 19.3%

Posted April 17, 2013 link

Even if the initial extraction were ideal the final value could be anywhere between 16.9 and 21.8% because of the uncertainty in the strength measurement.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 11:32am

So why do you suppose Andy brewed this way?

Taste difference or theatrics?
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 8:36pm

LOL

I suspected I should not have absented myself from CG for so long. Y'all are brilliant. Good stuff, really good stuff.

Alan, you're hopelessly provincial. Your device has been co-opted. It's no longer yours.     :-D

Enjoyed pizza last year with Alex after CoffeeCon, will miss seeing him this year. Pat's coming up short finding someone to do an Aeropress Hacks class. Sure you don't want to come and do it yourself?    :-)
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 12:49pm

rasqual Said:

LOL

I suspected I should not have absented myself from CG for so long. Y'all are brilliant. Good stuff, really good stuff.

Alan, you're hopelessly provincial. Your device has been co-opted. It's no longer yours.     :-D

Enjoyed pizza last year with Alex after CoffeeCon, will miss seeing him this year. Pat's coming up short finding someone to do an Aeropress Hacks class. Sure you don't want to come and do it yourself?    :-)

Posted April 19, 2013 link

Rasqual, come now.  Give me some credit for this:

"Re: Aerobie Aeropress"

Note in the above post that I used the word "hackers".  Guess where I learned to apply that word to the AeroPress?   Hint, the nickname begins with "R" and ends in "L".

Best regards,

Alan
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 11:49pm

There's no way to say this without being snippy, but here goes: Alan, I thought you quit this website back in 2009? But regardless, welcome back, and it'll be interesting to view your future postings and contributions.

However, please note, if there is any outright promotion of the Aeropress in these forums by you, it will result in a strike and I've instructed the moderators to keep an eye on things. You are welcome, of course, to support the CoffeeGeek website by becoming a paid advertiser. Considering how much promotion and exposure your product got in its early days in our forums, not to mention the problems it caused me with a few other advertisers, it'd be very welcome.

Regards

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
russ5679

Roaster: IRoast
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 8:59am

slickfast Said:

Second question: I design conceptual aircraft, so designing this stuff is fun as heck for me because it's WAY less serious and allows me to be much more creative. Is there anything else that you guys would like to see made for the Aeropress, or any other coffee paraphernalia? Does anything piss you off about the coffee process (other than running out of coffee beans... can't help you there!)

Regards,
Colin

PS. Alan if you're listening, what would your thoughts be on letting someone else create a larger AeroPress? I see your patent is still active, but I also have not seen you respond with any interest to making a larger Aeropress. Is it that you're simply not interested in paying for all the new mold tooling to be made?

Posted April 9, 2013 link

I would really love for someone to develop a larger Aeropress.  For me, I'm just looking for something large enough to brew a regular 12oz mug without having to add water.

In Alan's responses to this idea, he seems very committed to the Aeropress being a concentrate brewer and therefore no need for the larger version.  While a concentrate you add water to does taste good, it is a different taste than a regular brew, which is what I prefer.  

I really wish someone would develop a larger brew chamber for the aeropress, but I realize we may have to wait until the patent runs out.
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:58am

I, too, would like to see an aeropress version made for larger volumes, though I'd be happy enough with a larger but similar concentrate version. (good for lattes, and I don't mind adding hot water, especially because I follow the 175 degree method, so adding hot water is useful).  I find using four scoops with the existing model isn't practical and there are many occasions when you'd like to make "double shot" coffee for two.

My current method for this is one inspired by the aeropress:  I mix coffee and water in a large pyrex measuring cup and then pour the slurry into a melitta filter. I find this gives much better results than a regular melitta drip method.

MarkPrince Said:

There's no way to say this without being snippy, but here goes: Alan, I thought you quit this website back in 2009? But regardless, welcome back, and it'll be interesting to view your future postings and contributions.

However, please note, if there is any outright promotion of the Aeropress in these forums by you, it will result in a strike and I've instructed the moderators to keep an eye on things. You are welcome, of course, to support the CoffeeGeek website by becoming a paid advertiser. Considering how much promotion and exposure your product got in its early days in our forums, not to mention the problems it caused me with a few other advertisers, it'd be very welcome.

Regards

Mark

Posted April 20, 2013 link

Mark, to your remarks:  My experience of Alan's presence in this topic since his return is not at all of promoting the Aeropress, but of responding to questions and concerns (including expediting replacement parts), and also of being curious about what others look for in the product.  It's certainly true that he appears committed to his particular way of brewing with his aeropress, but he also is shouting out, to some extent, to other hackers who are ringing changes on it.  My sense is that he uses this forum to listen much more than to speak, (as when he was persuaded to shift his polymer to address concerns around BPA even though he personally felt his existing plastic was safe) When he speaks he mostly assists, informs and defends, but rarely outright promotes the product.

All in all I find this thread more beneficial and useful when he's present.  TMOT
showing page 249 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.420255899429)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+