Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 245 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 9:38am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

jpender Said:

...what keeps the water from cooling during the pressing time?

Posted April 1, 2013 link

Nothing, as far as I can tell, but that's true with the Aeropress, too, unless I'm misunderstanding your point! EricBNC has one of these [i.e. Cafejo My French Press] and could probably answer some of your questions. Speaking of, here's a tidbit: http://www.singleservecoffeeforums.com/post96068.html#p96068
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 10:13am
Subject: ...

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 1:46pm

jbviau Said:

Nothing, as far as I can tell, but that's true with the Aeropress, too, unless I'm misunderstanding your point!

Posted April 1, 2013 link

I guess I have this (possibly misguided) notion that maintaining the brew temperature within some narrow range is desirable. You're right about the Aeropress, and most other brewing methods do not accomplish this either. I was just reading about intentional temperature profiling with espresso. Who knows, maybe a slowly dropping temperature is what we really want?
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 6:13pm

It's something I've wondered about, too. That insanely expensive Blossom machine certainly was designed with temperature stability in mind. The most thermally stable gadget I've had a chance to play with is a siphon, and the coffee it brewed was *very* similar to what I get out of my Trifecta, which brews with a slowly declining temp. profile. So I guess I'm thinking turbulence is an equally (or possibly even more) important variable.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 10:54am

Pods and Capsules

Over the years I've owned and used an ESE pod espresso machine and two Nespresso capsule machines.  It was my dissatisfaction with them which inspired my design and development of the AeroPress.  I continued to experiment with capsules even after the AeroPress was in production.

Kenneth Davids told me that studies of pods and capsules found that they averaged nine months duration between roasting and brewing.  It's an expensive way to buy stale coffee.

I thought that the Nespresso aluminum capsule kept its contents fresh, but coffee professional Robert Barker cut one open and it smelled quite stale.  Another issue with this system is that the standard capsule contains only 5 grams of coffee.  Checking Amazon today, their price is $13.44 for ten capsules.  This is $121.63 per pound of grind.

In 2006 I machined a special AeroPress cap which holds an ESE pod.  The brew was very weak.  I found that a better way to use the pod was to tear it open and dump its contents into the AeroPress, though it was still pretty yucky compared to a scoop of fresh grind.

That experience leads me to think that the best way to use a K-cup would be similar -- dump the contents into the AeroPress.  The K-cup holds 12 grams.  

I also measured two brewers designed to work with K-cups:

An electric Keurig brewer made 10 oz of brew at 53% of the strength of the SCAA "Gold Cup" standard.  When set to brew a 6 oz cup, the strength was 80% of the "Gold Cup" standard.

The Cafejo hand press is advertised to meet the "Gold Cup" standard.  With a regular K-cup it produced 6.8 ounces of brew, again with a strength of 53% of the "Gold Cup" standard.  I also tried filling the supplied "Eco Cup" with loose coffee.  I could only get 8 grams of coffee into it.  That produced 6.7 ounces of brew with a strength of 47% of the "Gold Cup" standard.  (Both tests used 7 ounces of 200 F water which was in the center of their recommend range).

Best regards,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 8:38pm

Hi, Alan. Not trying to stir the pot here, but I noticed that in the most recent Coffee Review article (on k-cups) Kenneth Davids makes some AeroPress-related comments: http://www.coffeereview.com/article.cfm?ID=206
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 10:03pm

I gather these are the comments in question

What did surprise us was the quality of the beverage produced by the Ekobrew and the My K-Cup when used on the Keurig as outlined above, a quality very close, almost identical, to the cup produced by careful use of the manual Aeropress. Which doesnít mean that those who brew manually should run out and buy a Keurig and an Ekobrew K-Cup, but what it does suggest is that those committed Keurig owners who use the best reusuable K-Cups carefully can produce a rather nicely-brewed cup of coffee.

But the advantage with the Aeropress, or with any manual method, is that you can use more ground coffee per cup and brew stronger if you prefer to, whereas twelve grams per serving is pretty much tops with the little do-it-yourself K-Cups. And of course you also can vary both brew water temperature and extraction time with a device like the Aeropress. But by varying them carelessly you also can, of course, screw up your coffee, which gets us back full circle to the reason people buy Keurigs and pre-manufactured K-Cups

AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:01am

Frugal AeroPressing - The Single Scoop Mug

It's been about seven years since introduction of the AeroPress and I'm still learning how to use it.  

I've always used 1.5 scoops to brew an 8 ounce mug of American coffee to the SCAA "Gold Cup" standard (1.25% total dissolved solids).  This was in accord with our recommendation of one scoop of fine drip grind per 5 ounces of American coffee.  But in recent years, I've learned that finer grinds press easily when using only one scoop:

"For a single scoop I've never found a grind that was too fine.  But you must push gently." -- "Re: Aerobie Aeropress"

The finest setting on my grinder produces 7 ounces of Gold Standard brew per scoop with no compromise on flavor.  I heap the scoop slightly (13-14 grams) and brew an 8 ounce mug.

I'm still using our recommended 175F water temperature, but this fine grind delivers 24% extraction.  I filled the water to "2.5" on the chamber, then added hot water to the pressed concentrate for a total of 8 ounces.

Best regards,

Alan
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:09am

But also the time and "fuss" factor, which is surely of high importance for a user of a Keurig.

However, if you donít have a water kettle with automatic temperature control you need to add in the time required to watch for the kettle to boil and then to allow the water to cool down a couple of minutes before pouring it into the brewer, all of which adds considerable kitchen fuss time to the total brewing act for the Aeropress.

I think this is technique dependent. For example, I use a microwave and the heating to boil time overlaps other setup tasks (like hand grinding). I then transfer the water to another cup (sometimes the Aeropress plunger) with a thermometer in it and sitting on a tared scale. This facilitates the cooling and the water is at temperature pretty quickly.

I just timed a cup with the Aeropress, from start (weighing the beans, gathering a few items) to finish (cleaning the Aeropress) and it was 5:25. I was trying to be efficient so maybe I usually take a little longer, but not much.
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:18am

I have an automatic kettle, but getting to the right temperature has become very easy for me. I decant the water into a large pyrex measuring up, which cools it quite readily to the right temp (%175=185). I used to keep a thermometer in the cup, but by now it's not necessary.
showing page 245 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359332084656)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+