Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 246 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:31am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

My favorite means of brew water temperature control is elevation. I think the sweet spot, where rapidly boiling water straight from the pot into the Aeropress is perfect, is 6000-8000 feet. Of course if I were Alan Adler I'd prefer coffee brewed this way at about 20,000 feet instead.

I wait a little while for my brew, depending on the grind I've chosen. That's part of the 5:25 I quoted above. But with a super fine grind you don't have to wait... so are there Aeropress speed championships? Is there a world record? Fastest cup in the west?
 View Profile Link to this post
slickfast

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 3:47pm

Ok, so I have modelled and am now in the process of prototyping a single piece that rather elegantly holds all the aeropress parts together without adding complexity. With this, you can just chuck your Aeropress into your backpack without worrying that you're missing the paddle, scoop, filters, or the bottom cap.

First question: Again, would any of you guys be interested in trying this thing out? Once I have some prototypes I would love to see what you guys think, and see if the idea is just for us coffeegeeks or something bigger.

Second question: I design conceptual aircraft, so designing this stuff is fun as heck for me because it's WAY less serious and allows me to be much more creative. Is there anything else that you guys would like to see made for the Aeropress, or any other coffee paraphernalia? Does anything piss you off about the coffee process (other than running out of coffee beans... can't help you there!)

Regards,
Colin

PS. Alan if you're listening, what would your thoughts be on letting someone else create a larger AeroPress? I see your patent is still active, but I also have not seen you respond with any interest to making a larger Aeropress. Is it that you're simply not interested in paying for all the new mold tooling to be made?
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 6:59am
Subject: ...

CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 9:43am

Netphilosopher Said:

A separator filter can turn the aeropress into a forced percolation column brewer.  I just use a filter with a plastic clip ring, but occasionally it doesn't hold the filter on top and I end up with an infusion brew anyway.

Posted April 10, 2013 link

I'm not sure I understand this process.  Would you be willing to outline the steps and the benefit/differences of forced percolation vs. infusion?

Netphilosopher Said:

Somewhere back in this thread, I asked about an AeroPress XL.  Needs to support a brew ratio of 12 with ability to produce a full "Grande" or 450g.  This means the brew chamber would need to be about 500-525ml in volume to support bloom and infusion, etc.

+1 on this!

Netphilosopher Said:

Speaking of coffee production, a "flush adapter" would be nice.  I don't like pressing on and wetting my funnel (one potential work around) but it would be nice to have an "outer adapter" so that one could press say 350ml into a 375ml mug without the filter cap ending up in the coffee.  My CCD, for example, can drip into a coffee cup almost to the rim.

+1 on this too!

Netphilosopher Said:

It's a great brewer, but there's always potentials for improvement.

Couldn't agree more.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 11:53am
Subject: ...

slickfast

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 2:56pm

Some great ideas, let me respond to each one:

Netphilosopher Said:

Sure, I have a couple of ideas.

A separator filter can turn the aeropress into a forced percolation column brewer.  I just use a filter with a plastic clip ring, but occasionally it doesn't hold the filter on top and I end up with an infusion brew anyway.

Combined with that, if the plunger had a one way valve, and I suppose a secondary piston, then instead of one straight plunge, one could "pump" water in smaller bits through the coffee bed.

I think I understand how you're doing this, the question to me is why would you not want full immersion brewing? I'm fairly new to coffee (only been drinking in the last 3 years or so), and I've never used a percolator.

From a design standpoint it sounds like what you're asking for is fairly easy to accomplish. Is this something that you prefer over a normal AP press?

Netphilosopher Said:

Somewhere back in this thread, I asked about an AeroPress XL.  Needs to support a brew ratio of 12 with ability to produce a full "Grande" or 450g.  This means the brew chamber would need to be about 500-525ml in volume to support bloom and infusion, etc.

Totally love this idea. I'm eager to find out if Alan would be okay with me producing an AP XL of sorts, but the existence of his patent suggests he would not, and I respect that. Maybe he'd be willing to license the design, although I don't think I would be able/willing to afford it.

Netphilosopher Said:

Speaking of coffee production, a "flush adapter" would be nice.  I don't like pressing on and wetting my funnel (one potential work around) but it would be nice to have an "outer adapter" so that one could press say 350ml into a 375ml mug without the filter cap ending up in the coffee.  My CCD, for example, can drip into a coffee cup almost to the rim.

What a great suggestion! I didn't even notice this problem, but I struggle with the APs dimensions in a different way: my commuter mug is too narrow to allow the bottom of the AP to sit "inside" it. Maybe I could create an adapter that solved both of these problems? Is anyone else here finding that attractive? I could sketch something up in 3D and see how it looks.

Netphilosopher Said:

It's a great brewer, but there's always potentials for improvement.

Absolutely agree. In fact, I think the fact that I'm not trying to reinvent the brewer demonstrates how good the Aeropress is. It's a great brewer, but relatively unrefined. Thanks for the suggestions!

Any other takers? What annoys you about brewing/using an AeroPress?
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 9:36pm

Serendipity and AeroPress

serendipity (noun)
the accidental discovery of something pleasant, valuable, or useful

I gave a talk about coffee and AeroPress at Google Headquarters a few weeks ago.  I talked about serendipity and the AeroPress -- good things that were not in the original plan.  

Examples:  
  • The extra-fine filtration provided by the puck and its contribution to clean taste

• The self cleaning chamber

But I forgot perhaps the most serendipitous thing of all, the spontaneous birth of the culture of AeroPress hackers and championships.

Six years ago, Tim Wendelboe in Norway invented "The World AeroPress Championship".  He held it in his café in Oslo two successive years.  Since then it's been in London, Milan, Portland, and this May - Melbourne Australia.  Judging is blind and entirely on taste.

The U.S. Championships will be at the SCAA in Boston this Friday afternoon.  I'll be there.  If any of you make it to SCAA, please say hello.

Here's a video about the recent Belgian AeroPress Championship.  Like me, you probably won't understand a word, but it's fun to watch regardless.

Click Here (www.humo.be)

Best regards,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 6:26am

Alan, have you noticed,

FIVE AND A HALF MILLION VIEWS OF THIS THREAD

Just an interesting observation of myself this morning, carry on. :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 9:00am

Great video Alan.

What I like about the Aeropress is its simplicity & versatility. It's the Volkswagen of the coffee world. The people's brewer ;-) It can be used to make top notch coffee easily & with minimal cost. It's loved by coffee snobs, pro baristas, & laymen alike.

I bought my first Aeropress & hand grinder so I could have a decent cup while working at some remote location s where the cafeterias serve only disgusting Doeuw Egberts sludge from a machine. My co worker, who usually drank Folgers, liked the coffee I made so much that he bought an Aeropress himself. He's never going to spend thousands on an espresso machine, but he's now buying fresh roasted beans & using one of my old grinders & the Aeropress.

It's always the first coffee maker I recommend & I've subsequently bought several as gifts for friends & family.

There's no real point to my post, just some unabashed Aeropress luvin'. :-)

Thanks for the great coffee Alan.
larsegar

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 3:00pm

AlanAdler Said:

The finest setting on my grinder produces 7 ounces of Gold Standard brew per scoop with no compromise on flavor.  I heap the scoop slightly (13-14 grams) and brew an 8 ounce mug.

I'm still using our recommended 175F water temperature, but this fine grind delivers 24% extraction.  I filled the water to "2.5" on the chamber, then added hot water to the pressed concentrate for a total of 8 ounces.

Best regards,

Alan

Posted April 6, 2013 link

So you're using the finest setting (1 on the Virtuoso) and can get by with only 1 heaped scoop. Is this still only about 10 seconds of steep time?
showing page 246 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.396657943726)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+