Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 270 of 294 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 9:48pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

I just returned from a trip to south Florida. I had been forewarned by someone on CG that good beans were hard to find there so I took beans from home along with an Aeropress and had nice coffee each morning while I was there, albeit not So. Florida coffee. I have an Aeropress exclusively for travel and another one that I use only at home. So anyhow, after a week and a half I returned home to find the rubber plunger on my home AP looking like it was smeared with a thick glob of Vaseline. Now sometimes after brewing there is a little coffee oil on the rubber part, but this was different. It was a really thick layer of goo and was quite difficult to clean off. Where did it come from? All I can imagine is that it must have exuded from the rubber stopper while I was absent. I found this to be kind of gross!
 View Profile Link to this post
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 9:59pm

I've had my aeropress for at least five years, and there have been several times when for one reason or another I've not used it for weeks at a time. Nothing like what you describe have I ever noticed. Maybe your at home Aeropress found out what you were doing with your travel Aeropress?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 9:27am

Paul, it's never happened to me before either. I've left my Aeropress unused at home for weeks in the past. Something odd happened this time though. The rubber has shrunk a bit bit so that I have to warm it up to get it to seal when I use it, but it otherwise appears okay. I just thought it was curious that something (coffee oil? soap?) would apparently soak into it and then later emerge onto the surface as a weird sticky goo. The only other possibility I could come up with was some sort of microbial growth, but it didn't have that appearance.

After washing the goo off of the plunger there was an odd tacky residue that stuck to my hands and wasn't easy to remove. Who would make coffee with that rubber part after all that? I did and the coffee tasted fine. Afterall the plunger doesn't even touch the coffee, only the spent puck.
slickrock

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:06am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress - Metal filter affecting taste and/or Extraction Approach

I'm about out of the Catholic Host paper filters that came with my Aeropress kit and was wondering if picking up a metal filter would be the best thing going forward.  If its anything like my Hario vacpot, I always prefer going with the glass rod instead of the paper filter, with the cloth filter being somewhat better than paper.  But somehow, I've stayed away from metal mesh filters, thinking that there may be some galvanic taste I pick up.  What have Aeropress users noticed when using a non-paper filter, and if so has your approach to extraction changed to compensate?
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 10:42am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress - Metal filter affecting taste and/or Extraction Approach

slickrock Said:

I'm about out of the Catholic Host paper filters that came with my Aeropress kit and was wondering if picking up a metal filter would be the best thing going forward.  If its anything like my Hario vacpot, I always prefer going with the glass rod instead of the paper filter, with the cloth filter being somewhat better than paper.  But somehow, I've stayed away from metal mesh filters, thinking that there may be some galvanic taste I pick up.  What have Aeropress users noticed when using a non-paper filter, and if so has your approach to extraction changed to compensate?

Posted November 12, 2013 link

The Aeropress filters cost less than 1 each. I've even rinsed and reused them when I found myself with a limited supply. There are at least three different stainless steel filter disks on the market (two from Able and one from Kaffeologie) each at about $15, the cost equivalent more than 1500 paper filters, which for me would be over 2 years of coffee brewing. Since the metal disks are made from stainless there is no "galvanic" taste. I use the original Able disk at home most of the time. It has the largest diameter holes of the three disks I mentioned and, not surprisingly, a certain amount of sediment makes it into the cup, depending on the grind and brewing method. When I travel I use the paper filters and get a somewhat cleaner cup. The taste difference I perceive is subtle. Sometimes I convince myself I like one filter better than the other. From an economical or environmental standpoint the choice between paper and metal filter is not worth worrying about. In other words, it doesn't really matter that much what you do.
alcahuetej

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 4:57pm

UGEN Said:

Okay I have been using my aeropress for about a year now and I'm starting to try and get more out of my brews. What I have noticed is a lot of the world aeropress champs methods are brewed at a low temperature (75/80c ect) I have always had my bonavita kettle set to 92-93c and brewed from there. What are other people doing?

Posted August 30, 2013 link

UGEN Said:

Okay I have been using my aeropress for about a year now and I'm starting to try and get more out of my brews. What I have noticed is a lot of the world aeropress champs methods are brewed at a low temperature (75/80c ect) I have always had my bonavita kettle set to 92-93c and brewed from there. What are other people doing?

Posted August 30, 2013 link

I've been using lower brewing temperatures lately as well.  Specifically Jeff Verellen's winning recipe from this year.  

17 g on a Coarser grind (slightly coarser than paper filter, specifically ~20 - 24 on my Baratza Encore, but I've been playing around with this)

Pour enough to wet the grounds in the Aeropress (standard position, not inverted) at 83C.  Steep 40 seconds or so.

Slowly pour in nearly to the top of the Aeropress with water at 79C.

Press slowly, enjoy.  I've found it's been producing a cleaner, smoother, and brighter cup.  Something I thought would never happen with temperatures that low and coarse grounds.
rpavich

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 5:15am

I'm SOOOOO looking forward to getting my AP today. I've been reading this thread for days....lol.

I've got an espresso maker (De Longhi EC155) but my hit count it too low, I just want a good cup of coffee, not spend my life dialing in minutia to obtain espresso shot nirvana once out of 10 tries.

I'm also impressed that Alan has spent so much time here helping folks with their problems and offering to send parts out when necessary.

When I brew my first cup. I'll post here.

I'm thinking about doing the "single scoop-fine grind-175 deg water" method that Alan said he's gone to lately.
rpavich

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 3:50pm

dagoat Said:

ted,

two things make coffee taste bad.  not getting enough out of the beans, (under-extracting), and getting too much out of the beans, (over-extracting).  you need to learn what each tastes like, so you can know what made your coffee taste bad and you can adjust  your technique in the right direction.

the aeropress makes amazingly good coffee drinks from amazingly bad, stale old coffee.  you need to start eliminating variables.  start by brew it according to the instructions on the package. EXPLICITLY.

1] first, eliminate as many variables in the coffee as possible.  have enough coffee around that is of the same age and roast that you can make many drinks without running out of coffee.  buy a can of preground yuban or folgers or maxwell house to start, even though you know you will not use it long term.  now you have eliminated the variables of grind consistency, roast, age and origin of beans.  IOW, even if it's crap, it IS consistent.  and i guarantee you, it will still be drinkable anyway, as it will be the best yuban you've ever had, once you figure out how to control the aeropress.

2] it says to use 175degF water.  do you do that?  how do you know when it's 175degF?  do you have a thermometer?  is it reliable? have you calibrated it?  if you answered "no" to any of those questions, your water temp will continue to be a variable, unless you use boiling water, which is likely to produce bad tasting coffee if your grind is too fine.  that said, if your can of maxwell house is ground kind of coarse, which it probably is, you might find that you need hotter water than 175degF, but you won't know how hot if you don't have a thermometer.

3] if you do both steps, you have eliminated all but the last two variables, stir time and steep time.  those, you can control without special tools like a thermometer or a world class grinder.  do those things exactly like the instructions say.

So now, depending on how your coffee tastes, you can try brewing hotter or colder, to "fix" the problem.  of course, when you start using "good" beans and grinding yourself, you will have to start dealing with those variables, too.  but by then, hopefully, you will have a come along far enough that you at least have a good idea of what to tweak, to get things moving in the right direction for you.

-peter

Posted April 28, 2011 link

I just got my AP and this seems like very good advice...I'll start here...and then go to the single scoop method i wrote about earlier.
rpavich

Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 4:12am

Ok....I've put this thing through it's paces and I have to say it's great!

I started yesterday by not being very careful with the amount and water temp...which was a mistake. I was "eyeballing" everything and my cups were inconsistent.

So, based on the thread above, I went back to square one and made sure my water temp was 174f, and that my scoop was 17grams.

I brewed the normal "by the book" way and I have to say...it's amazing!

Here is a picture of my morning Faux-uccino.

Click Here (farm8.staticflickr.com)
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 9:21am

Congratulations, and welcome to the nuthouse!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 270 of 294 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386538982391)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+